Talk

Advanced search

Aurora

(31 Posts)
aliveandkickingme Sun 17-Jul-11 17:58:28

I really like this name and the mythological connections/ meaning but I would hate to give a name which was too 'Princessy' or just reminded everyone of Disney.

Please could I have your opinions? Do you find it pretty/ unpronounceable/ too Disney?
Many thanks.

pinguwings Sun 17-Jul-11 18:02:26

I like it, particularly when shortened to Rory. It's not the easiest name to pronounce.

There will be Disney connotations but I think people will get over that quickly.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 17-Jul-11 18:13:33

It is pretty but a bit of a mouthful.

acsec Sun 17-Jul-11 18:17:06

I like it, it meant natural display of light for longer than it's been Sleeping Beauty's name. Tricky to say for little ones and to spell!

latrucha Sun 17-Jul-11 18:18:47

It's my sister-in-law's name and she and everyone else in the family hates it. The grandmother chose it.

I like it though.

MelinaM Sun 17-Jul-11 18:26:24

I love Aurorasmile I didn't even know it was 'Disney' until I read it here, lovely name.

MrsRhettButler Sun 17-Jul-11 18:26:26

Well I wouldn't like to be called Aurora personally and that's the test I give most names, would I like it? And I wouldn't

kalo12 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:28:37

what about 'Wanda'

glitterkitty Sun 17-Jul-11 18:38:18

I was going to be an Aurora (in 1972). I have never heard of anyone else considering it!

<I would have quite liked it> grin

Kayzr Sun 17-Jul-11 18:44:44

I love Aurora. I have watched loads and loads of Disney films and have no idea where the Disney connection comes from.

PaperBank Sun 17-Jul-11 19:48:04

Very pretty and a nice meaning too.

I don't think of Disney.

Purplebuns Sun 17-Jul-11 19:50:34

I like it a lot, my favourite name as a child smile

5GoMadOnAZ650 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:51:41

There is a mn'er whose dd is called Aurora that's when I first heard it other than as sleeping beauty, fwiw I really like it smile

pjani Sun 17-Jul-11 19:52:53

I like it, I think it's very strong.

It might be hard growing up being a plain 'Aurora' though.

Like a pimply, balding teenager I used to work with - named Darius. Poor kid - how could he live up to it?

superjobee Sun 17-Jul-11 19:56:52

first thought - disney second thought - waynes world blush --says a lot about my age/mentality

really nice name tho smile

ImpyCelyn Sun 17-Jul-11 19:57:01

I really like it, it's on our list - as Aurore though, because DH is French.

Do it, do it!

IreadthereforeIam Sun 17-Jul-11 19:59:10

Yes, do it!! This was on our list - but we've had two ds's sad I love it!!

missmaypole Sun 17-Jul-11 20:00:17

THere is an aurora in DD's class. I quite like it, but have been slightly put off by the number of classmates (reception) who can't pronounce their R's yet. Mostly she is known as Awarwa.

Yellowballs Sun 17-Jul-11 20:02:26

It's a cruise ship. Pretty though.

aliveandkickingme Mon 18-Jul-11 10:05:59

Many thanks for the feedback. I think the difficulty with pronunciation does put me off.

mrsrb- (great name)- I agree with you about testing the name on yourself. I do wonder if it is too frilly for me even though I am a typically feminine person...

yellowballs- I think it was a given name before the cruise ship was named smile

It would be lovely to hear from anyone with a DD called Aurora/ called Aurora themselves to know whether pn is a problem and whether they have any other difficulties!

Zone2mum Mon 18-Jul-11 10:40:06

My sister has this as a middle name and doesn't like it
FWIW I think it's a pretty name, but it is a bit Disney princess unfortunately

Have you considered Aurelia (to de-princess it a bit)?

Ziggimajiggi Mon 18-Jul-11 13:16:18

Love it and if I have a baby girl that will definitiely be the name we give our wee one smile

aliveandkickingme Mon 18-Jul-11 17:20:32

zone2mum- Aurelia is pretty but somehow it sounds more Princessy to me, probably because of the extra syllable. Aurora somehow seems really longstanding which I like and the meaning is lovely. Blooming disney!

hollyw Mon 18-Jul-11 19:39:58

I like it but find it difficult to say

x

Larold Mon 18-Jul-11 19:55:34

what about Laura ? It has a similar sound to Aurora but its easier to pronounce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now