Talk

Advanced search

Will Evelyn date, like Eve and Evie?

(13 Posts)
Chocolocolate Sat 16-Jul-11 16:41:59

I love Evelyn (Pronounced Ev - a - lin), but with the rise in popularity of Eve/Evie/Eva etc. I worry it will be 'grouped in' with these names and so date and seem very 'trendy.'

I would not shorten Evelyn to Evie, although maybe E-vie (with an e in egg sound rather than e in lean).

What are peoples' thoughts?

pinkthechaffinch Sat 16-Jul-11 16:56:21

Yes.

pinkthechaffinch Sat 16-Jul-11 16:58:30

sorry for short reply.

All of these 'old ladies' names will sound dated probably once your dd hits middle age- florence, olivia, ava, lily etc.

By then Sharon, Karen, Pamela, Lyn will sound chic and underused esp as the elderly owners of said names begin to die off.

ellangirl Sat 16-Jul-11 19:03:27

I LOVE this name- it's my great grandmothers name. I would not use it though because i think it's inevitable that it would be shortened to Eve or Evie, which are so popular now. I like the pronunciation 'e-vie' with e as in egg, it's the more common pronunciation in scotland i think, but people would still read it the other way. I just heard of a baby called evangelie- what do you think of that as an alternative?

PaperBank Sat 16-Jul-11 20:06:39

I think it may be grouped in with those names as a trend, yes.

Aphria Sat 16-Jul-11 20:17:59

All names date, it's cyclic but thats what happens through the generations. I think Evelyn is much more traditional than a lot of popular names so to me it's more classic. I don't think it's a given that it'll be shortened either, my name's Louisa and has never been shortened. Evelyn's a lovely name.

pinkthechaffinch Sat 16-Jul-11 21:22:51

Don't like Evangelie but I do like Evangeline-was it a typo?

tammy234 Sat 16-Jul-11 21:34:32

Yes, I agree with pink. I think any name that is very 'trendy' will inevitably fall out of favour and start to feel dated. If you're worried about that, I'd choose a name outside the top 100 or top 250 where you're more likely to find a more 'classic' underused name.

ellangirl Sat 16-Jul-11 23:42:17

no, it wasn't a typo- the name is evangelie!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 17-Jul-11 10:39:32

Yes, it will be grouped with those names and yes, it will date.

FessaEst Sun 17-Jul-11 14:36:04

Yes, very now I'm afraid. Also, I think that it may be very difficult to ensure that it is pronounced in a certain way, especially if that way isn't the norm in your area. Round here, if Evie was written down, it would be assumed to be pronounced "eee vee".

NattersAndMutters Sun 17-Jul-11 16:03:03

I think it's quite distinct from Eve and Eva (and I regard 'Evie' as a nn of Eve or Eva).

I don't think Evelyn has ever been particularly fashionable - looking at the figures it seems to spike around the 1920s, but I can't recall meeting or hearing of many people with this name. I did know one at school, and she was always called Evelyn (prn 'eeve-lin'), never shortened. It is also a unisex name, although very often given to males.

So I wouldn't worry about it dating, especially as it has scope for different nn variations anyway.

NattersAndMutters Sun 17-Jul-11 16:04:58

Sorry, meant NOT very often given to males. Whyever no editing facility here. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now