Advanced search

Due in 10 days - last ditch attempt to find a winning name for DD#3

(66 Posts)
Astrophe Sat 16-Jul-11 12:55:11

Short list is:

Francesca/Cesca
Elisabeth/Elsie
Charlotte/Lottie

...but each one has its pros and cons (DH likes one more, I like another more, DH doesn't like one of the nicknames, we have a close friend with a child called one of them etc etc).

Siblings are Lucia, Elijah and Clementine.

Comments? Fab new ideas?

threecurrantbuns Sat 16-Jul-11 12:58:41

I love the second two ElsIe was one of my favourites when I was last pregnant like lottIe not keen on charlotte. Love clementIne by the way do you shorten it to anything x

threecurrantbuns Sat 16-Jul-11 12:59:27

Elsa is nice too and Betsy as a nn for Elizabeth

Astrophe Sat 16-Jul-11 13:13:19

we have an elsa in the family. I also like Libby as a nn for Elisabeth...contemplating that too.

Clementine - we shorten to Clemmie usually, although also lengthen to Clementina, or Clem-let smile

threecurrantbuns Sat 16-Jul-11 13:21:00

Elizabeth def has lots of of nice nn Iris Elizabeth was our final name choice for dc three but dc3 became ds smile

I'd go Francesca because I like it but also it is a different initial to the others (less confusion later).

Or how about Juliana/Juliet
Arabella
Viola
Marianne
Rhiannon
Serena
Katrina
Tatiana
Natalia
Phoebe

Unlurked Sat 16-Jul-11 13:31:01

Francesca, beautiful name.

Other suggestions:
Hermione
Lydia
Anastacia

IamtheSnorkMaiden Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:26

I'm not a huge fan of Francesca, but I think of it as slightly more unusual than the other two names (even though it's a well known name). I've only ever known one, who shortened it to Frankie, not Cesca.

I really love Elisabeth at the moment - possibly because it's my daughter's favourite name and she uses it for lots of her toys, most notably her cuddly unicorn! Also, lots of possible diminutives you could use - Elsie, Ellie, Beth, Elisa, Betty, Betsy, Libby, Lissy, and so on.

Charlotte is a very pretty name, but has the least impact I think.

Do you really need to make a final decision before the birth?

Astrophe Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:51

I like Natalie/Natalia, but DH not so keen.

The matching initial thing with siblings - we had been trying to avoid but have decided not to worry about it anymore, as its hard enough to choose!

Francesca is my least favourite, but only because the nickname 'Cesca' is ungeard of where we live, and so I'm worried she'd be called 'Fran', which I really don't like at all.

Astrophe Sat 16-Jul-11 13:47:45

yes, I agree Charlotte has less 'impact'. DH likes Frankie (and also likes Charlie as nn for Charlotte) but I'm not keen on 'boys' names for girls - just personal preference obviously.

I'm liking Libby...

Love Elsie but a close friend has one - and we see them every day! Friend wouldn't mind, but I just feel like the name 'belongs' to the other child iyswim, especially as its not a common nn around here.

Astrophe Sat 16-Jul-11 13:49:47

imthesnork - well no, I guess we don't have to decide before she's born. BUt we had a name picked out for all the others (with a 'backup' name, just in case), and I'm worried that if she doesn't just "look" like a certain name, thus making the decision easy - I will find it incredibly stressful tryingt o choose one whilst sleep deprived and hormonal and caring for 4 DC...

What about Natasha, or Anastasia as someone has already suggested?
Or Alexandra?

I agree, Elisabeth is one of the most versatile names for nn.

Kayano Sat 16-Jul-11 13:53:27

I vote for Franchesca

Catsu Sat 16-Jul-11 13:55:05

Your other dcs names are lovely!
I think francesca sits best with the others and cesca is s great nn.
Also really like elsie though and Elizabeth is a very versatile name!
Charlotte is a bit plain/common next to the other names tbh
I'd say that given you have a close friend who already has an elsie plus the fact that initial matches your ds name that you should go with francesca!

Astrophe Sat 16-Jul-11 14:01:19

argh, my dithery preggers brain cannot cope! I don't know what to do! Feeling a little stressed - need to go to bed I think (different timezone).

Please keep adding/commenting while I sleep (well, toss and turn and flap my arm to try and get rid of carpel tunnel syndrome!).

TidyDancer Sat 16-Jul-11 14:01:59

I don't like your spelling of Elizabeth (the 's' instead of 'z' confuses the pronounciation and looks clunky to me), but apart from that, it's a lovely name. The one that goes with the siblings names the best is Francesca though I think.

And don't worry about nicknames. Your DD will chose her own nickname as she grows up, so don't put too much emphasis on something you won't really be able to control.

Good luck deciding though! DP and I had a tough time with DD's name, so you have my sympathy!

razzlebathbone Sat 16-Jul-11 14:11:24

I think Elisabeth with an 's' is really lovely and nicer than with a 'z', unless you want a nn like Lizzy. Lissy is a nice nn though.

Elsie is adorable.

Astrophe - yes you do. It's Very Late here - get thee to bed woman!
While I think of some more lovely names...

PaperBank Sat 16-Jul-11 16:04:01

Francesca/Cesca - don't like, the "cesca" sound is a bit harsh/snippy. I do like Frances though.
Elisabeth/Elsie - lovely smile
Charlotte/Lottie - OK

TheSecondComing Sat 16-Jul-11 18:26:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bandwithering Sat 16-Jul-11 18:40:42

Cesca is horrible.

Elsie and Lottie are beautiful.

mimmymouse Sat 16-Jul-11 18:55:24

I have 2 friends, adults in their 30's named Francesca -- both known as Chessy.

whorecrux Sat 16-Jul-11 22:42:25

I like Elisabeth best of your choices; is your friend's Elsie short for Elisabeth too? If not, I dont think it really matters that they have the same name, as there is scope for change if the girls dont like being the same when they are older . My name is Lisa, and I used to pretend it was short for Elisabeth as I thought it was very glamorous!
Francesca and Charlotte are ok, but not as striking as your other childrens names.
How about

Dominique (nn Domi, Minnie, Nicky/Nico)
Margaret(maggie,Mags, Greta)
Margot
Magdalena
Marlene (pron Marlayna nn Marlie or Lena)
Penelope (Penny or Nell)
Dorothea

whorecrux Sat 16-Jul-11 22:53:38

or

Xanthe
Zinnia
or
Fleur

Astrid
Althea
Andromeda
Bryony
Delilah
Felicity
Isabella
Melissa
Ophelia

a few more for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now