Talk

Advanced search

When a name has more than one spelling how do you pick? Is it just on looks?

(9 Posts)
ImpyCelyn Fri 15-Jul-11 19:28:08

We're TTC and were talking about names. DH and I both like Gareth, but it can also be spelt Garreth. Is one correct and the other not?

If they're both correct then do you just decide which one you prefer the look of?

(Gareth, now that I've typed it).

PaperBank Fri 15-Jul-11 19:39:30

Gareth

ImpyCelyn Fri 15-Jul-11 19:41:09

Thanks PaperBank smile

jellybeans Fri 15-Jul-11 20:49:09

Yes just the one you prefer although to be easier maybe go for the most popular spelling.

StrandedBear Fri 15-Jul-11 20:55:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImpyCelyn Fri 15-Jul-11 21:19:48

Good, thanks all, we'll go with Gareth until we decide on something completely different

englishmummyinwales Fri 15-Jul-11 21:24:19

We just went with what we preferred, even though it wasn't the most usual spelling in the UK (Lucas/Lukas in our case). Depends on whether you feel strongly about your child having to spell their name for ever more (I checked with two friends in similar positions who said it hadn't been a major issue and that they'd liked being a bit different - no doubt others would disagree, however!)

muminthemiddle Fri 15-Jul-11 22:18:02

I would choose Gareth as I have only ever come across this spelling.
I only liked the one spelling of my dds name and it is what I class as the proper and traditional way of spelling it. Other varients are more modern spellings and just don't look as nice imho.

Bandwithering Sat 16-Jul-11 00:16:37

Use fewer letters. I think that's usually the 'correct' spelling.

Gareth looks more usual than Garreth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now