Talk

Advanced search

think we have got it down to2. Austin or Rupert

(50 Posts)
threecurrantbuns Fri 15-Jul-11 13:12:57

??

bigbluebump Fri 15-Jul-11 13:13:35

Love both. Does any of them go better with your surname?

threecurrantbuns Fri 15-Jul-11 13:21:06

Both go well with our surname part of me think Austin maybe better once the teenage years hit? But not sure if it sounds A Bit American no offence intended.

We already have a Grace, Daisy, Hugo and ?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 15-Jul-11 13:25:21

Rupert, with those other names. Rupert is a very Hugo name.

shoobidoo Fri 15-Jul-11 13:26:25

I like both but Rupert is more classy/elegant imo.

lostinindia Fri 15-Jul-11 13:28:08

I thought this was a post about cars.

Like them both but think Austin goes better with the other names.

PaperBank Fri 15-Jul-11 13:29:25

Austin

JanMorrow Fri 15-Jul-11 13:29:28

Rupert is gorgeous.

AmazingBouncingFerret Fri 15-Jul-11 13:33:39

I prefer Rupert.

Austin makes me think of Austin Powers... There's an Austin Powers 4 coming out in several years so you might hear too many "yeah baby's" and other such hilarious quotes. grin

threecurrantbuns Fri 15-Jul-11 13:42:31

Very true re Austin powers that what dh said maybe that why it made me think its American sounding.

I really do love Rupert but don't want it to be a target name at school during the teenage years. But also don't want to settle on a name I don't love as I absolutely love Hugo and think it will be a good teenage/adult name too and ds really suits his name want to find another boys name that is as fab.

herecomesthsun Fri 15-Jul-11 13:47:41

Austin is very Welsh, a form of Augustine.

I know a Rupert and was actually polite but giggling in a small part of my brain when he told me his name. Associations Bear and Jilly Cooper, so not good for me. (but each to his own).

herecomesthsun Fri 15-Jul-11 13:48:25

PS I think Austin Powers is quite funny and it wouldn't put me off Austin

colditz Fri 15-Jul-11 13:48:48

NOT RUPERT

colditz Fri 15-Jul-11 13:49:48

What if he had a speech impediment and wasn't homosexual? He would have to introduce himself as Woopert for the rest of his life!

threecurrantbuns Fri 15-Jul-11 13:59:45

I did have the idea of a more traditional name as a middle name giving the option of being used in later life. I really like Rupert and like that it is fairly rare. Austin and Rupert are a close I can get but not sure one of those is 'the one'

threecurrantbuns Fri 15-Jul-11 14:00:43

When I searched Austin is came up as French/Latin

ShoutyHamster Fri 15-Jul-11 15:01:49

Gosh definitely Rupert out of those two. Austin - Powers, or they'll think 'wacky' car fanatic parents.

shoobidoo Fri 15-Jul-11 15:05:06

Rupert is lovely.

R is not excactly difficult to pronounce - I don't know any Ruperts, Roberts, Richards, Rachels etc who can't pronounce their R.

MelinaM Fri 15-Jul-11 15:19:31

Love Rupertsmile Austin is very American sounding.

threecurrantbuns Fri 15-Jul-11 15:59:23

I agree re the R there are a lot of widely used R names and prob not many you can't pronounce their own name. I don't know this naming lark is very difficult but very fun too...if you find something you like of course! Might have to keep doing list and see if anything else grabs me. If I had to choose now Think Rupert would be the front runner, shame harry is a Bit much with Hugo as its a nice traditional name although very popular

phlossie Fri 15-Jul-11 16:18:05

My dad's a Rupert. Lovely.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 15-Jul-11 16:31:07

As long as, should he join the military, he attends Sandhurst then Rupert should be fine.

Austin makes me think petrolhead. Which isn't so bad. But I'm not keen on either tbh.

Catsu Fri 15-Jul-11 16:39:03

Rupert. It's a fab name and goes really well with your other dcs names

shoobidoo Fri 15-Jul-11 17:03:20

"As long as, should he join the military, he attends Sandhurst then Rupert should be fine"

The only way we can change this (ridiculous) perception is if more non-military, non-Sandhurst boys/men get called Rupert smile.

Sophiesmummie Fri 15-Jul-11 17:06:22

Rupert is lovely and more elegant than Austin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now