Talk

Advanced search

Your opinion on my list

(41 Posts)
whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 11:15:25

Hi there,

I'm having a little boy (due on bonfire night so I've plenty of time to mull things over!) and would like your opinion on my favourite names. My husband is no good as he says he likes everything I suggest!

So free-reign!

We have a funny surname. It's danish with dashes and umlauts. This combined with blonde hair, blue eyes, the fact that he's always been very tall, and that his parents called him Norman (cruel, but it could have been worse- he was named after his grandfather whose middle name was Tracy!) made my husband's school days miserable- lots of bullying about being a nazi etc. I want to avoid that with our boy but still give him a name that will give him a distinct identity- not just another Joshua or James.

We like Edward Axel as middle names. So it would be Something Edward Axel S_______ov. But if you could tell me what you think of these I'd appreciate it!

Felix
Oscar
Frederick
Theodore (Theo or Teddy)
Matthias
Seth
Sebastian
Reuben

I also like Quentin and Ptolemy but I'm not sure I'm that mean!

LyraBelaqua Fri 15-Jul-11 11:32:32

I think Felix sounds the best with these names then Theodore then Oscar.

posterofagirl Fri 15-Jul-11 11:34:09

Love Felix and Seth.

whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 11:40:08

I must confess, he feels like a Felix to me. But I don't want to saddle him with a name he will be picked on for. His dad is 6ft6, I have red hair, and he'll be growing up in the military so he'll always be the new boy at school. do you see what I mean? I want to give him a fighting chance! Do you think he'd have problems as a Felix?

..And do you think the initials SS matter? My husband pointed out that he'd have it sewn onto all his PE kit etc.

Domesticbodess Fri 15-Jul-11 12:38:03

I love the name Matthias!

lateatwork Fri 15-Jul-11 12:54:23

rasmus?

bigbluebump Fri 15-Jul-11 13:17:34

We have a Quentin - and we're not mean smile. Also love Matthias and Theodore.

PaperBank Fri 15-Jul-11 13:41:16

I like Felix and Frederick best from your list.

Felix - like
Oscar - dislike
Frederick - like
Theodore (Theo or Teddy) - like Theodore/Theo, dislike Teddy
Matthias - like
Seth - not keen
Sebastian - like
Reuben - OK

Mondayschild78 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:51:31

Theodore and Felix are both cool, strong names and go well with your chosen middle names.

whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 14:08:16

Wow! Little Quentins exist! I think it's an excellent name.. but I do hope you can see how it might give a child that will probably already have other things that single him out just another thing to make him different?

I like all the votes for Theo and Felix. I'm very interested in where Rasmus came from though!? My father in law is called Rasmus but he doesn't like it so much that he uses his middle name, Jorgen, so I'm afraid we struck Rasmus off the list. We were only considering it as a middle name in any case and Axel works just as well I think.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 15-Jul-11 14:12:54

I knew a gorgeous little blond Rasmus...

Matthias would work really well in both cultures, is a bit different for here but not outlandishly so.

whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 14:41:52

I've not actually run Matthias past Norm yet. I have always liked the name. The only thing that puts me off is that it shortens to Matt, which I have never liked.

It doesn't really need to fit both cultures- he'll be English. His dad is about as quintessentially English as you can be (think of old stereotypes (what-ho!) rather than new ones (lager-louts) ) and even his grandfather doesn't really have any links in Denmark any more. Axel is just a nod to his past. Edward is too as it is a family name on my side and Edward will be his Godfather.

I can see what you mean about just calling him Edward Axel, but we do want two middle names as they're names that will add to his identity and show him where he comes from. I do want him to have a fresh new name of his own as well though and not just recycled (although lovely) family names.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 15-Jul-11 14:45:40

Where did I get that he was out and out Danish then?? grin

in that case Sebastian, although I still like Matthias.

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 15-Jul-11 14:48:09

I love Seth, my DS1's name. But initials SS might not work. Not too many Seths around.

shoobidoo Fri 15-Jul-11 14:50:05

I like Matthias, Seth and Quentin. Felix is a cat food brand, which may or may not bother you.

I don't see why children would find Quentin (or nickname Quinn) 'different' - how is it different, from a child's point of view, to Christian, Xavier or Justin for example? Plus, there is the lovely illustrator Quentin Blake or, for the older ones, Quentin Tarantino - not excactly uncool role models, or?

whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 14:51:22

I don't think I was too clear.. sorry!

You wouldn't worry that Sebastian (or indeed Felix, Theodore, or Reuben) is a bit posh and posey? Am I worrying too much about how his name will affect him being able to fit in wherever he goes?

whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 14:55:27

I like Seth very much too but I would get a serious ribbing in my family- lots of "Starkadder" comments. The temptation to call a future boy Reuben could be too strong as well! :P

shoobidoo Fri 15-Jul-11 14:55:59

Lots of names are used by all 'classes' these days - I'd choose a name you love and that works well with your surname (difficult enough smile). This obesssion with 'class' seems to be a very UK specific phenomen imo (having lived abroad myself).

ShoutyHamster Fri 15-Jul-11 14:58:41

Felix and Mathias both end with 's' and your surname starts with 's', so saying them together might be clumsy - say them out loud!

Oscar I think sounds best, but it is quite popular - in which case my choice would be Sebastian smile which is lovely.

shoobidoo Fri 15-Jul-11 15:01:52

The problem with Sebastian is that it is quite long and will end up as Seb, Sebbie or Basty, none of which are nice or masculine sounding imo.

spiggy Fri 15-Jul-11 15:17:19

There is at least 1 baby Ptolemy out there as well (DS2 8weeks today smile) It took us ages to decide because we were worried about people's reactions but it has been fine.

I wouldn't personally have the initials SS. Theodore and Frederick are probably my favourites from the list (but I really like Quentin too)

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 15-Jul-11 15:17:44

Yes Seth and Reuben is a bit much cold comfort!! I akso have a Jonah.

whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 15:42:46

Gosh! I admire your bravery! And your taste! What do you shorten Ptolemy to? Or won't you?

shoobidoo, unfortunately I do think class is still a significant factor in Britain. We're very much in the middle and it wouldn't matter so much to us except that his dad is in the RAF and consequently he'll go to quite a number of schools unless we either opt to settle down somewhere central and Norm will just commute back to us at the weekends, or I send him to boarding school. In any case we don't know where he will have to fit in. I think it would be unfair not to take that into account.

whizzyrocket Fri 15-Jul-11 15:44:33

Also, could you help me out? What does imo mean??!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now