Talk

Advanced search

What about these two?

(13 Posts)
LyraBelaqua Fri 15-Jul-11 11:08:00

Hiya, can people give me their opinions on the name Alba for a girl please. I've loved it since I read it in a novel and think it goes well with DD1's name, Lyra.

Also, really struggling for a boys name. Possibles are:

Theodore/Theo
Sebastian
Henry
Alexander
Cooper (Hubby's choice - Mini fanatic)
Gabriel will be the middle name as it is my fave but I'm worried that he would get teased from some of the threads I've read on here.

I want a good solid name if I have a boy but not tooooooo popular, as I'm worried DD1 will begrudge him getting a normal name and her getting a 'unusual' one.

Any opinions and suggestions greatly received, Thanks smile

spotty26 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:13:55

Check out responses to my "Boy Inspiration Please" thread - there are some similarities in the list!

Clarabumps Fri 15-Jul-11 11:14:42

I LOVE the name Henry! Alexander is ds2 name and he gets called Sandy for short but I love both. Theodore is lovely too.Not a great fan of Cooper but its not terrible..what is your daughters name?
I sometimes think its harder for boys if they have an exceptionally unusual name as there's more scope for teasing but I love your boys names- wish I'd called one of my boys Henry but was bullied talked out of it by dp. sad

LyraBelaqua Fri 15-Jul-11 11:17:24

Thanks Clarabumps DD is Lyra. Lyra and Theo, Lyra and Alexander, Lyra and Henry! Boy's names are definately harder to decide on.

BlueChampagne Fri 15-Jul-11 13:03:38

Alba and Lyra sound great. Agree boys' names are harder, but I do like Alexander.

If you want something more unusual, how about:
Irwin
Bryce
Morgan

Cooper might be a good middle name.

bigbluebump Fri 15-Jul-11 13:08:46

Love Alba and it goes well with Lyra.

Apart from Cooper and Gabriel your boys' suggestion are much more common and imo a little dull.

How about
Dominic (Dom)
Quentin (Quinn)
Montgomery (Monty)

biscuitbrown Fri 15-Jul-11 13:13:06

Alba is really pretty & unusual without being wacky. Lyra & Theo sounds gorgeous imo smile

GiraffeAHolic Fri 15-Jul-11 13:19:53

If you had a Henry and an Alba, you could almost recreate the 'Time Travellers Wife' smile

LyraBelaqua Fri 15-Jul-11 13:31:38

Ha that connection didn't even click with me what a wally I am GiraffeAHolic. BigBlueBump I do agree that my boys names are dull thats my problem none of them grab me and say 'I'm the one'. Already a Dom in family DH was going to be named Quentin so MIL would love that. I like Monty will try that one for size with hubby.

sleepywombat Fri 15-Jul-11 13:53:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mondayschild78 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:18:19

I think Theodore, Sebastian and Cooper are all great choices and a little bit unusual without being too 'out there'.

Can't stand the name Gabriel (sorry!) and Alexander is nothing special.

Alba is lovely for a girl.

Also, love Lyra - wanted to use this too but doesn't work with our surname plus my name is Laura so a little too similar!

ShoutyHamster Fri 15-Jul-11 15:00:28

Cooper is AWFUL. Alba is nice. Henry is good with Lyra

shoobidoo Fri 15-Jul-11 15:00:34

Cooper is nice and, in the UK at least, quite unusual (I don't know any, young or old).

Theo (Theodore) and Seb (Sebastian) are very popular round here and I think will date more than more classic names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now