Talk

Advanced search

How to get DH to change his mind?

(5 Posts)
Kayano Fri 15-Jul-11 10:56:25

DH loves the name Sophie. It is the only request he has made through pregnancy so far.
While I like it, as I grew up as a Victoria in the 80s I just think it is far too popular and It is really irking me!
I think I would end up resenting it but honestly can I really deny him his one request? He just says 'but I have always wanted a Sophie' which I find totally cute btw.
sigh

Bonsoir Fri 15-Jul-11 11:00:33

My father loved the name Alison. He finally persuaded my mother that they should give it as a second name to their second daughter...

ShoutyHamster Fri 15-Jul-11 13:12:42

It may only be one request but it's the biggest request of all!!!

DON'T agree to a name you don't really want.

If any discussion on names just ends with him repeating SOPHIE SOPHIE SOPHIE - then he isn't playing fair at all. Both of you should be prepared to discuss and meet in the middle if necessary. He needs to suggest some others at least!

MsChanandlerBong Fri 15-Jul-11 13:30:20

I'm in a similar situation, but with Abigail being the name in question ("I've always wanted a daughter called Abi"... aaaahhhhh!!).

It is currently on our shortlist of 3 but I am pushing hard for another name (my favourite). My rationale is that we want to choose the name together - but as I have put forward about 20 names, he has only put forward 1 that he isn't contributing to the discussion fully.

So IMO he isn't playing fair! And I'm sure you feel like I do in that however much you like the name Sophie, it has hard not to feel backed into a corner when you have only been offered one name to choose from. Hopefully then you can appeal to his rational side.

(BTW My DH is now going through the 2009 National Office of Statistics list of all registered births to see if he can find some other names to bring to the table - at my suggestion. So I have not managed to get him to change his mind yet!!)

Good luck.

JanMorrow Fri 15-Jul-11 13:30:28

use it as a middle name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now