Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone here have an Inigo or Octavia, or know any?

(48 Posts)
persephoneplum Fri 15-Jul-11 08:28:42

I'm curious to see how the names Inigo and Octavia wear in real life. Does anyone here have a child called Inigo or Octavia or know of any?

I'd be interested to hear from people who know school-aged kids or adults with the name and what experiences they have had in having it.

I love Inigo but I'm worried it's a bit 'out there' for a boy and that he'll get Inigo Montoya comments (... prepare to die) his whole life. I love the nickname Iggy but the nickname by itself doesn't go well with our last name which ends in 'ie'.

Octavia is stunning but I'm stuck for a nice nickname so am assuming most Octavia's are called by their full name?

Your comments are appreciated! We live in Australia if that makes any difference smile

PaperBank Fri 15-Jul-11 09:31:00

I don't know any Inigos or Octavias. I like Octavia, not quite so keen on Inigo.

MelinaM Fri 15-Jul-11 09:33:27

A friends daughter is Octavia (13), no nickname ...her mother hates Occy and Tavi! Anyway, she loves her name, and it suits her perfectly!

I know of no Inigo's I'm afraid, but it's a lovely namesmile

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 15-Jul-11 09:34:36

Octavia is a fantastic name!

I know of one 8/9 year old Inigo at my dc's school and afaik he doesn't get any stick for his name.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 15-Jul-11 09:34:51

I know an Inigo, he is about 40 and a gynaecologist from Spain. Lovely man.
I don't know any Octavias though. While it is a pretty name, wouldn't you have had to have 7 other children?

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 15-Jul-11 09:35:29

The only Inigo I could think of beside the Dr is Inigo Pipkins.

ShowOfHands Fri 15-Jul-11 09:35:48

I met an Inigo a while ago, he was 'Iggy'. I'd quite happily use it. Fab name.

Never met an Octavia and wouldn't use it myself unless I truly was having no 8. Which is never, ever, ever, ever happening btw.

Jajas Fri 15-Jul-11 09:38:16

I thought you meant Indigo to be honest and assumed it was a girl's name.

I know a toddler Octavia - very bit pretentious imo.

charlottery Fri 15-Jul-11 10:01:44

I like Inigo, makes me think of the architect as our surname is Jones.
I think the Inigo Montoya thing would give him a good game to play at school!

MyMamaToldMe Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:54

I only know a toddler called Tavia - and think it is a very pretty name!

teenyweenytadpole Fri 15-Jul-11 10:14:37

I have a Skoda Octavia.

I am thinking of trading it in for a Roomster.

WishIWasRimaHorton Fri 15-Jul-11 10:15:59

i met a baby inigo 5 years ago when my son was newborn. he was super cute!

MogTheForgetfulCat Fri 15-Jul-11 21:25:21

I know an Inigo. Unfortunately, he is a whippet. Was v peeved, as absolutely love the name and was considering it for DS3, but the whippet association wouldn't go away, so I had to drop it grin. DS3 is now Laurie.

There is an Octavia at DS1's school, she is Tavy or Puss (Octopus - geddit? Look, they are in Year 3, don't expect sophisticated humour) to her friends.

MogTheForgetfulCat Fri 15-Jul-11 21:26:33

Oh, meant to say that DS2 is Isaac, and one of his nicknames is Iggy - it is v, v cute. And has scope to be cool later on when he is older and that sort of thing matters to him.

Sidge Fri 15-Jul-11 21:27:12

I don't know anyone with either of those names.

I wanted DD3 to be called Octavia but it was vetoed by DH <sob>. He chose a similar but more popular name instead.

mousymouse Fri 15-Jul-11 21:29:28

I love the name inigo makes me think of jones

mousymouse Fri 15-Jul-11 21:29:53

ahem, inigo jones I mean.

jellykittenaddict Fri 15-Jul-11 21:32:52

We know a 7/8 year old Inigo - no comments at school..... he's just Inigo smile

Rhubarbgarden Fri 15-Jul-11 22:10:20

I LOVE Inigo, but I don't know any (actually that's a plus point). I was thinking of putting it on our shortlist actually though I fear it wouldn't work with our surname.

MrsOzz Sat 16-Jul-11 00:09:03

I know two Octavias - in different countries! One I'd known as her full name and one is known as Vee or Vivi or Via.

Bandwithering Sat 16-Jul-11 00:14:12

I don't know any personally, but they do sound like very fashionable names. NOT popular.

RickGhastley Sat 16-Jul-11 05:50:13

I have a friend called Octavia and she is always known as Tavy.

swash Sat 16-Jul-11 07:35:55

I know a four-year-old Inigo - think it's nice. Octavia is a strong name - makes me think of Jilly Cooper but like it. Taggy - another JC heroine - is a possible nn.

TheDeathlyMarshmallows Sat 16-Jul-11 07:51:11

I had an Octavia - brilliant car. Don't let the fact that it's made by Skoda put you off smile

and by that I mean, I think Skoda have possibly ruined the name Octavia forever I'm afraid.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 16-Jul-11 09:37:50

I love Octavia, it's a beautiful name. Don't know any though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now