Talk

Advanced search

Bogan baby names - for a laugh

(14 Posts)
Kiwiinkits Fri 15-Jul-11 00:34:55

For my southern hemisphere friends:
Bogan Baby Names

ShowOfHands Fri 15-Jul-11 00:42:00

I've seen that list before. I might be unreasonably pissed off because dd's (normal, old Germanic name) is on there but it's quite telling how many names from other cultures are on there. Normal, perfectly acceptable names just from different cultures.

Some of them of course are not brilliant.

TillyIpswitch Fri 15-Jul-11 01:44:50

grin

I think K has the most entries...!

TillyIpswitch Fri 15-Jul-11 01:47:53

P.S. A lot of them are normal names, just with yooneek spellings. Which is, of course, what makes them bogan.

My own name is on there, with an extra 'le' on the end of it. shock

cloudydays Fri 15-Jul-11 02:10:05

What ShowOfHands said.

There's not a thing on Earth wrong with Elodie, Rian, Mercedes, Nakeisha, or several others on the list.

A lot of it is just xenophobic snobbery.

Still, hard not to be hmm at "Refinement"

musicalsinger913 Fri 15-Jul-11 02:41:48

Is that supposed to be funny?

Nothing but classist and xenophobic snobbery. The person who created it looks like the biggest bogan of all by exposing their sheer ignorance by including a lot of perfectly legitimate names from other cultures.

ContraryMartha Fri 15-Jul-11 03:30:45

I once met a kid called Brogan.
I kid you not.

kiteflying Fri 15-Jul-11 03:41:43

Diesel! I heard a mother call out Diesel in a supermarket a couple of weeks ago, and I hoped it was just a weird nickname, but now I realise he might have been named after the guitarist (rather than the fuel!).

I am not going to look, having read the comments here and living in Australia anyway.
There are some very odd ideas of names here, I have found so far. There are far more "surnames as first names" in boys DS's age (3) than I noticed in the UK, and some real oddities in spelling.

But: it is just as bad as discussing chav names in the UK - snobbery.

Although I will admit to being a bit hmm and shock at the lack of imagination showed by one family in calling one DS Jayden and the next Jordan.

kiteflying Fri 15-Jul-11 04:41:17

I also live in Aus - hence I connected the name Diesel with the guitarist.
I am often shocked at some of the names in my DD's three year old classes, and was amazed at the number of little "Tayla"s and "Jayden"s I met in the first year I lived here.
It looks like the website might have been set up as a comedy thing - it seems there is a "bogan pride" thing that is becoming trendy, so it may not have been all damnation. Or am I just giving people too much credit?
I agree it is on the same page as discussing whether or not names are chavvy and just snobbery...
(although I am sorry to say that whether or not a name is chavvy does come up in discussion when DP and I are forming our short list blush).

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 15-Jul-11 06:57:00

Some of them are pure Kath and Kim. Unusooual, noice.

monkeyslut Fri 15-Jul-11 07:27:46

Did any of you aussies see the names on the Bonds Baby search website?

Now some of those were...erm..interesting? wink

kiteflying Fri 15-Jul-11 07:30:05

I had never heard of a child being called Cooper before I moved back here. It seems not only is it considered very MC, but it is in the top ten boys names?

Cooper is more American though, isn't it? Or have I just been over influenced by Private Practice? blush

OK - FYedification - the names in DS's football class are:
Harrison (ok, I know 2 of these in the UK as well, not my choice and a surname but hey)
Brock (a badger)
Slater (a surname)
Max (fine)
Luke (fine)
Jayden and brother Jordan (lack of imagination)
PJ (really?)
Connor (fine)
Hailey (yes she's a girl)
Tailor (not sure how that one's spelled, not written on the shirt and it's a surname)
Braden

That's all I can remember of the top of my head. There will be others. No Cooper, though (but, tbf, where we go for football is not at all MC)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now