loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's wrong with Patricia

(26 Posts)
Mollydoggerson Thu 14-Jul-11 22:42:02

?

Conkertree Thu 14-Jul-11 22:44:01

Imo there are just so many lovely girls names, it wouldnt even get onto my possible list, but if you like it, no reason not to use it that I can see.

freyamalaya Thu 14-Jul-11 22:46:51

She would get called Pat so you need to like that nn too...

Sossiges Thu 14-Jul-11 22:48:00

"Her name is Patricia but she calls herself Delicia..."

HipHopOpotomus Thu 14-Jul-11 22:52:43

It's my 2nd name. Hate it. You get called pat or Trish sad !
I feel the same way about Pamela and Amanda.

piprabbit Thu 14-Jul-11 22:55:56

Because I know a lot of Patricias and they are all over 60.
Oh, and I'm not keen on Pat as a nn.

Popbiscuit Thu 14-Jul-11 22:58:34

Yesterday at the pool, my daughter made a new little friend called Patricia. Her siblings were calling her "Patsy". I thought it sounded lovely; old fashioned without being twee. I was curious to find out what her brothers and sisters were called but we couldn't stay any longer.

CointreauVersial Thu 14-Jul-11 23:00:05

I reckon it's due for a revival.......

Most Patricias are 60+, but granny names are always the rage. It's one generation below Emily/Tilly/Alfred and all the other names popular at the moment, so its time is coming.

Just think, in another 20 years time we'll all be calling our kids Sharon, Geoff, Tracy and Nigel. grin

Jajas Thu 14-Jul-11 23:00:54

It's a name with certain conotations, mainly age related I suppose. Agree that all the Patricia's I know (3) are over 60. Oh except a cousin who is in her 40's but she's Irish so a bit like Mary it is a very popular name for all age groups.

itsohsoquiet Thu 14-Jul-11 23:30:40

I know too many all over the age of 50. Maybe in years to come when people don't know any living Patricia's it could make a comeback

LunaLovegoodIsOnTheGrass Thu 14-Jul-11 23:42:51

It's my DD's middle name - after my Mum, who would be in her late 60's if she was still about.

ragged Thu 14-Jul-11 23:44:34

I like it, and the nns. I know a very clever "Pat". Yes she's over 60, but so is Queen E2 and that name (Elizabeth) seems still fashionable. Go for it if it rocks your boat.

TillyIpswitch Fri 15-Jul-11 02:20:43

You'd just be ahead of the curve.

A load of people in the 60+ age bracket have it, so obviously an abundance of people once thought it was pretty enough to be popular. Its time will come again.

I was given a deeply unfashionable name - from my parents' parents generation (so what this name is to us). Nobody at all had it when I was growing up and I've yet to meet another one - but now you can't move for babies and toddlers with my name, or one of its variations (Isobel).

If you call a baby Patricia now, by the time she gets to her 20s, it will be the height of chic. wink

Hevian Fri 15-Jul-11 04:35:34

It's beautiful when spoken by an Italian/Spaniard/French person (Patreeseea) but not so cute with a British accent.

TillyIpswitch Fri 15-Jul-11 06:19:06

grin I used to work with an Italian Patrizia - always rolled off her tongue so musically and dramatically.

lisianthus Fri 15-Jul-11 06:38:04

Lovely name, and it's definitely coming back. I've seen a couple of small Patricias about. It's a lovely classic name, particularly if you like Roman names.

charlottery Fri 15-Jul-11 10:21:35

Mum said she was one of 6 Patricia's in her class (she'd be 67 now) so it was THE name back then. It's my daughter's middle name, after my Mum, so I'm fond of it.

PaperBank Fri 15-Jul-11 10:25:00

Nothing wrong with it.

superjobeespecs Fri 15-Jul-11 10:25:38

my mates mum is called patricia she hates her name and has been known as patty for the lengh ive known her at least. its quite a nice name if you dont mind patty/trish nns..

superjobeespecs Fri 15-Jul-11 10:26:34

oh yeah mates mum is hitting 60 in september and is from australia if that makes any difference..

Hedwig3 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:33:55

The only things wrong with it are Pat and Tricia!

ShoutyHamster Fri 15-Jul-11 13:14:56

The nicknames are so horrid, especially Pat.

tummytickler Fri 15-Jul-11 17:21:13

I love it - Patsy is very cute!

smokeandglitter Fri 15-Jul-11 17:48:51

I knew a Patricia smile

She was very sophisticated and stylish. A lovely pretty lady with a sweet sense of humour. She was nn 'Trisha' and never 'Pat' or 'Patsy'. I think it's a lovely name.

Lonnie Fri 15-Jul-11 17:56:45

2 problems for me

1) it is my MILs name (love mil but no dont care for naming like that)

and more importantly 2) the nn Pat... it means literally translated tit in Danish ( danish being my mother tongue) and I just cant do that to someone I love (I am the only person whom calls mil by her full name)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now