Talk

Advanced search

Xander or Alex to go with Jude? Or Nathaniel?!

(14 Posts)
PipFEH Thu 14-Jul-11 10:46:05

Will be short for Alexander. My older son is called Jude. I think if we went with anything other than Alex then we'd have to assert it from the start as my dad has already starting saying Alex, even though he's only been told Alexander - I'm sure plenty of others will do this too! Other name is Nathaniel, but I only really love it in full and am a bit ambiguous about Nat/Nate.

wineandcheese Thu 14-Jul-11 10:55:46

I love Alex and Alexander. Find Xander a bit pretentious tbh. Not keen on Nathaniel.

Hedwig3 Thu 14-Jul-11 11:40:38

Alex.

WaitingForBabyD Thu 14-Jul-11 12:02:26

I prefer Alex over Xander but really like Nate as nn for Nathaniel too. I love that your eldest son is Jude, trying to persuade my DH to go for it but he's not quite there yet. Any ideas on how I can persuade him?!

PaperBank Thu 14-Jul-11 16:49:30

Like Alex best of your options. Xander a bit pretentious. I like Nathaniel with Nat for short, not so keen on Nate.

monkeysmum79 Thu 14-Jul-11 18:59:56

My son is Jude Alexander, they go great together..... trust me I'm an expert! wink

Yama Thu 14-Jul-11 19:09:21

Alexander is perhaps the best boys name in the world. Alex is great. Mind you I do like the nn Nate although not keen on Nathaniel.

Whichever you choose, either will go well with Jude.

LyraBelaqua Fri 15-Jul-11 11:29:42

I love Alexander. Just found out Sandy is a scottish shortening for it which I think is really nice.

MummyCubed Tue 19-Jul-11 17:16:46

I'd go with Alexander, that way he can choose how he shortens it. Not terribly keen on Nathaniel.

minipie Tue 19-Jul-11 17:31:02

I love the name Alexander. Alex or Alec for short. Not keen on Xander.

I also like Nathaniel - Nat for short (not so keen on Nate). But I think Alexander goes better with Jude.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:45:42

Xander definately, Alex sounds so harsh and is too popular for my liking. We have a Xander but be warned, the second he starts school he WILL be Alex to most of his friends. We've tried to get ds1 to assert himself a bit and ask to be called either his full name or Xander as the only shortening, but it's just impossible sad

Ormirian Wed 20-Jul-11 12:48:10

Alex.

I have an Alex and he is perfect wink

pilates Wed 20-Jul-11 12:51:00

Alexander - Alex
Nathaniel - Nat

Beamur Wed 20-Jul-11 12:51:11

Chum of mine has a Nathaniel and it seems like a mouthful to say, not a name I like really.
Xander is a tad pretentious, but I rather like it and prefer to to Alex as a nn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now