Talk

Advanced search

Beckhams 'bang on trend' with their non-girly choice of name?

(17 Posts)
darkbluebird Wed 13-Jul-11 13:38:01

...well according to this article anyhoo.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/12/beckhams-baby-harper-seven?INTCMP=SRCH

The article's a bit rubbish, but I was wondering whether there will be a trend away from flowery, girly names.

Not suggesting that one should chose a name based on trends of course, but just wondering there will be a general trend in that direction. Anyone else thinking of less girly options?

Currently at work daydreaming of names for baby number 2 if.... i ever have one....

Ok important info of the day imparted. I now need to go back to work.

befuzzled Wed 13-Jul-11 16:20:22

Frankly I am astounded, gobsmacked, amazed and ever-so-slightly put out that they have chosen what, imo, is actually quite a cool, irreverent, knowing name - one I would actually have considered myself had I had a girl. Astounding.

Nightstar Wed 13-Jul-11 20:50:59

Are we talking about the name Harper? Isnt it an American trend? Surely no-one in England would be stupid enough to give their child a surname for a christian name? Comes on the tail of Hunter and Taylor! I mean honestly.......

DaisySteiner Wed 13-Jul-11 20:57:02

I wondered aloud at coffee time whether they'd named her after the author of To Kill a Mockingbird. Everybody PTSL. blush

muminthemiddle Wed 13-Jul-11 22:49:28

I think it might start a new trend for unisex sounding names. Probably more popular in America. I was thinking Parker as in Desperate Housewives, or Bailey, Taylor or Tyler.

lazylula Wed 13-Jul-11 23:10:28

After 2 boys, I wanted a very girly name for dd when she came along 10 weeks ago. Turns out the name we chos was originally a boys name but this was many, many years ago and is now very much a girl's name.

Nightstar Thu 14-Jul-11 12:44:09

DaisySteiner, what does PTSL mean? Also do you really think either of the Beckhams have read To Kill a Mockingbird? that truely made me lol!

stupefy Thu 14-Jul-11 12:50:09

Why wouldn't they have read it ?

Bonsoir Thu 14-Jul-11 12:55:17

I think it's highly probable that at least one of the Beckhams have read To Kill a Mockingbird, which is one of the most read books on the planet and widely used in education. Maybe Brooklyn has read it at school? wink

Harper is a vile name, however. Poor child.

Nightstar Thu 14-Jul-11 12:58:13

Umm, do you know who these people are? This is the man who once said "We're going to get our baby Christened, we just haven't decided in which religion yet" and Victoria once said "I've never actually finished a book", which in my head means "I've never actually read a (what do you call that thing thats like a magazine but where you can't read the pictures?) book". I'm sorry if that sounds like intellectual snobbery but I think it's fair to say its pretty close to the mark!

razzlebathbone Thu 14-Jul-11 14:29:32

I would be astounded if either of them had read it.

FakePlasticTrees Thu 14-Jul-11 14:39:16

Nightstar - worst part of that quote, at that point, David Beckham had a book out. If my DH had a book published, I'd definitely read it.

Apparently the boys did suggest the name and Posh & Becks like it.

I do think there seems to be a bit of a move away from 'little girl' names, I have a few friends pregnant now who are trying to find 'strong' names that would be good for a business woman, not a toddler I think this is a good development, I find it hard to imagine a Lola or a Maisie (both names of friends' DDs) as a CFO of a FTSE100 company or the senior partner in a magic circle law firm.

Woman in business find it hard enough to be taken seriously without being saddled with a 'cutesy' name.

razzlebathbone Thu 14-Jul-11 14:42:21

Why not start calling all baby girls Dave?

DaisySteiner Thu 14-Jul-11 15:09:48

PTSL means pissed themselves laughing grin

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 14-Jul-11 15:13:21

Rebekah, now that's what high flying girls are called isn't it?

Bandwithering Thu 14-Jul-11 15:38:59

haven't read the article but tbh yeah i think the Amelias, Isabellas, Eloises, Lucias etc are on the way out.

But there's a middle ground. I think slightly less frilly names will be fashionable now. Juliet, Catherine, Jane, Rachel........... that kind of vibe more than any of those particular names as I don't have a crystal ball.

But Harper is not what I see coming next.............. betcha any money i'm more of a name nerd than the person who wrote the article too.

darkbluebird Thu 14-Jul-11 23:12:56

I do like girly, flowery names. but they are bound to be nearing the end of their trend - seems like they've been popular for quite some time. not sure what will replace them though.

harsher/stronger sounding ones I can think of are Agnes, Grechen, Harriet. um, can't think of anymore.

Mayabe like bandwithering said its going to be a trend to the the middle ground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now