Talk

Advanced search

Delphi - advice on BC versions/NNs/name-alikes please

(6 Posts)
nozmum Mon 11-Jul-11 22:02:24

I've seen Delphi getting a lot of love on this board lately and its top of my shortlist for DD due November, but - forgive me for asking - it it actually a full name in itself or is it a nickname? What's it short for? And how would you shorten it (everyone in my family ends up with a one syllable version of their name so I might as well like that version too) - Dee, Phi/Fi, Del - not so sure about these.And, what would you think if you heard this name?
And - since I suspect we might chicken out - can you recommend any sound-alike/feel-alike names that I might go for if we don't use it?

At least VB hasn't gone for it - which was a worry!

hollyw Mon 11-Jul-11 22:08:40

It can be a shortened version of Delphine.
I like Delphine and Delphi. Not so keen of the one syllable shortenings myself.

What about Seraphine or Clementine (Clemmie, Clem)
x

eurycantha Mon 11-Jul-11 22:09:53

I was reading a book and the characters name was Delphine,her nickname was Phina [feena]

thisisyesterday Mon 11-Jul-11 22:10:19

It can be a name on its own, but could also be used as a short version of Delphine or Delphina
I know a little Delfina (with f rather than ph) and she is very lovely, as is the name!

I wouldn't shorten it personally, but if you want to I am sure a shortening will just happen over time!

Hedwig3 Tue 12-Jul-11 09:33:11

If you just want Delphi then go with that.

PaperBank Tue 12-Jul-11 10:26:21

It can be short for Delphine or Delphina. Not surprisingly, the meaning is "dolphin"!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now