Talk

Advanced search

Christian name or nn - which way round?

(15 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Sun 10-Jul-11 20:37:38

Thanks to mn and talking to dh we've finally got our names down. In less than 8 weeks we will have (fingers crossed) twin girls and choosing names has been really tough. We are decided that one will be Heidi Matilda but still can't decide on the order of names for dtd2 - Alice Kitty or Kitty Alice.

I know some people hate Kitty but it's a family name which we love and my Nanna died 5 weeks ago so feels right to use it - would be Kitty not Catherine etc.

We feel Alice is the safe option and wonder if we're brave enough to go for Kitty as a first name.

What do you guys think? (dd1 is Lydia Victoria if that helps)

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 10-Jul-11 20:40:17

Lovely names. Personally I prefer Kitty Alice. I know of two girls who are "just" Kitty. I think its sweet and a fitting tribute to your Nanna smile

RuthChan Sun 10-Jul-11 20:41:31

My middle name is Kitty.
I'm actually Katherine, named after my grandmother who was known as Kitty.

Personally, I'm glad it's my middle name rather than actually being known as Kitty myself.
On the other hand, I love the name Alice.

superjobeespecs Sun 10-Jul-11 20:44:57

heidi and kitty sound gorgeous!! kitty kitty kitty!! i love kitty but wouldnt be brave enough to use it where i live and OH hates it sad

PaperBank Sun 10-Jul-11 21:31:29

I prefer Alice Kitty smile

Lydia, Heidi and Alice work really nicely together.

Hedwig3 Mon 11-Jul-11 12:23:30

Heidi and Kitty sound great together.

Alice doesn't sound so lovely next to Heidi so wouldn't be fair.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 11-Jul-11 12:27:28

I'll just throw a spanner in the works a little and say that Kitty Matilda sounds much better. Heidi is a different enough name to take Alice. Just a thought... smile

But Kitty is lovely as a stand alone name.

PipFEH Mon 11-Jul-11 12:33:16

I also thought Kitty Matilda sounded lovely! Like both Kitty and Alice so can offer no further help other than to say if you love Kitty, then that's what should be her firts name.

PipFEH Mon 11-Jul-11 12:33:30

I mean first name!

pommedechocolat Mon 11-Jul-11 12:47:49

I'm not a big fan of Kitty really - very twee and cute only whilst she's very little imho.
Could you not consider Katherine Alice so that if she wanted she could be Kate later on?

Sirzy Mon 11-Jul-11 12:51:58

I think alice is better as the first name, one that is more likely to grow up with her.

birdofthenorth Mon 11-Jul-11 14:26:53

Kitty Alice. Lovely. Heidi & Kitty sounds great. Heidi & Alice sounds like you LOVE children's literature grin

PrincessScrumpy Mon 11-Jul-11 16:55:59

They're all quite literary themed but dh is a journalist / writer and I was a writer (on hold at the moment) so seemed appropriate although it was by chance.

Definitely not Katherine - too plain for me and I really don't like the abbreviations, plus we wouldn't be really using the family name we love if we go with that.

freerangeeggs Mon 11-Jul-11 18:37:59

I like Kitty best. Alice is nice too but I know a really amazing Kitty and the name is just another distinctive, cool thing about her.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 11-Jul-11 18:44:25

Personally I wouldn't use Kitty as a first name as it sounds a bit wet to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now