Talk

Advanced search

Regreting DD2 name :( would you change it?

(42 Posts)
manicmummyonadietcokebreak Sun 10-Jul-11 12:44:40

my DD2 (4mnths) is named Elizabeth, nn Betsy, which I love, but doesn't suite her. It's the name i choose before she was born. My dd1 wanted to call her Kitty and it suits her down to a T! But I told her no as her name is Tabitha and didn't want to sound like a mad cat lady! But sooo wished I listened to her sad
I know legally I can change it, but my mum said I can't as I've told everyone her name now.
And I have form, so to speak! Lol, dd1 was named something I reluctantly too, but I couldn't live with it, so I changed it by deed poll, and I'm glad I did! She is a Tabitha!
Wwyd?

LauLauLemon Sun 10-Jul-11 12:46:09

I would just call her Kitty as a nickname.

I love my DD2's name. She has the middle name Elizabeth.

tethersend Sun 10-Jul-11 12:47:58

She's only 4 months... I think Betsy is lovely and it may well suit her in a few months. I'm not sure about Kitty and Tabitha, TBH...

PaperBank Sun 10-Jul-11 13:07:46

Personally I wouldn't go for Tabitha and Kitty together.

Elizabeth is a lovely name. Are there other nicknames you'd prefer to use? Beth, Eliza, Betty, Lizzie, Liz, Bess, Buffy, Liza? Or could you use your DD's middle name?

Sinople Sun 10-Jul-11 13:09:28

Im not sure if any baby really looks like a Betsy... im sure the name will suit her as she grows thou

savoycabbage Sun 10-Jul-11 13:14:52

Elizabeth is a beautiful name and so very versatile. Usually I say 'change it' on these threads as I regret one of my dd's names.

exoticfruits Sun 10-Jul-11 13:22:09

Elizabeth is a lovely name and she will choose her own nickname when older-she might not like Betsy.If it was me I would ditch at soon as able and go for Lizzie.

pommedechocolat Sun 10-Jul-11 13:27:50

Libby also a lovely lovely nn for Elizabeth. Love Beth too.
Both much nicer than Betsy imo as I'm not that keen on it!

ShoutyHamster Sun 10-Jul-11 13:29:52

Don't be afraid to change it, but I wouldn't have a Kitty and a Tabitha to be honest!

suzikettles Sun 10-Jul-11 13:37:10

There's no reason why you can't call her Kitty as a family nickname if you want to.

threecurrantbuns Sun 10-Jul-11 13:38:28

Not sure both kitty but personally love Elizabeth and Betsy I think like another said it may grow with her.

RandomMess Sun 10-Jul-11 13:43:39

I agree Elizabeth is a grown up name for a baby but I think she will grown into whereas Kitty she will grow out of IYSWIM.

Or just call her Kitty as her nn, she will probably choose Lizzie as a nn at school anyway!

exoticfruits Sun 10-Jul-11 13:45:45

I would just call her Kitty as a nickname and let her evolve her own later.

LeoTheLateBloomer Sun 10-Jul-11 13:47:22

I much prefer Elizabeth and there's every chance she'll grow into it. Like others said, it's much more versatile than Kitty.

FWIW I also think nicknames should come in their own time and based on the person's character rather than be forced.

pictish Sun 10-Jul-11 13:48:29

Betsy is lovely. I wouldn't team Kitty with Tabitha either.

mo3d Sun 10-Jul-11 13:59:04

Just let her sister call her Kitty. It creates a lovely link when a sibling has a special nickname for her sister. You could say that your daughter wanted her sister to have a feline name too. smile
My eldest calls her youngest sister Rosie, cause her middle name is Rose, and its got to the point where its so normal, that we don't even notice anymore until someone asks why.

ensure Sun 10-Jul-11 14:10:08

Elizabeth is SO versatile, surely you can find another nickname you think suits her?
Libby is more like Kitty than Betsy. Or Betty?
Make one up: Kizzy!

MistressFrankly Sun 10-Jul-11 14:15:59

mo3d same here! DDs middle name is Rose and is called Rosie by my mum (was her mums name). She says it is habit from before i had chosen a first name but i know its because she doesnt like dd's name - she thinks its for a cat not a girl grin

Papyrus Sun 10-Jul-11 15:14:30

My DD1 is Elizabeth known to pretty much everyone as Elsa. But she started out life being known as Eliza, it was only when her little brother began to talk and had trouble pronouncing Eliza; that she became Elsa.

now four years on, she is mostly known as Elsa by us at home and her friends at school, while wider family members still use Eliza.

Nicknames constantly evolve and children grow into their names, so I wouldn't rush out and change your DD's name just yet.

poppin Sun 10-Jul-11 15:50:24

Saw this and expected a far out, obscure name. Elizabeth is a name that girls grow ino IMO, don't change it. It is a versitile name and you may have a DD2 (Tabitha).

poppin Sun 10-Jul-11 15:51:22

Sorry, make that DD3!

hulabula Sun 10-Jul-11 20:35:26

If you genuinely feel you want to change it, do so within the first 12 months as it is much easier than afterwards. People will accept it, don't worry about them.

pilates Sun 10-Jul-11 21:23:04

It's up to you, but I think you could possibly regret changing such a beautiful name.

PrincessScrumpy Sun 10-Jul-11 21:48:06

I love Kitty but I don't think I'd use it with Tabitha except as a nn. I also love Elizabeth and especially Eliza and am sad I can't use it as it was my sister's name who sadly died. I don't think I'd change it officially and see what suits her - her name has so many options and if not then Kitty is a nn back-up.

2to3 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:59:49

i know someone who changed her son's name when he was past one. They just gave him his old name as his second name and now it's like it never happened. If you really think it's wrong, change it - your daughter will have to live with it for her whole life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now