Talk

Advanced search

Emmie?

(12 Posts)
isthis4real Sat 09-Jul-11 22:37:56

Short for Emmeline. DH not keen but I love it. Have mentioned to a couple of friends who all seem confused about the spelling. Would I be subjecting future dd to a lifetime of spelling out her name? (we have a tricky surname too)

birdofthenorth Sun 10-Jul-11 00:06:43

Love it. Strongly considered it. Sweet, unusual, but a real name, passionate connotations.

Would spell nn Emmy.

Just be prepared for this convo though:

"Awww, what's she called?"

"Emmy."

"Emma?"

"No, Em-MEE."

"Oh, lovely. Is that short for anything?"

"Emmeline."

"Emily?"

"No, Emme-LEENNN."

"Oh, as in Pankhurst?"

"Yes."

"Oh that's nice!"

Over and over again I suspect! May be worth it for such a lovely name though!

nooka Sun 10-Jul-11 00:23:19

I think Emmeline is lovely, and has good provenance (I'm assuming that you have feminist leanings?). Emmie is a bit sweet for me - fine for a toddler, but not in the long run. I think you'd only have to explain the once, and it's not really a big deal (I'm always having to explain/spell my name, and it's never bothered me because I get the same sort of response that birdofthenorth has outlined).

Clara35 Sun 10-Jul-11 00:56:36

That is gorgeous name! Go with the name you love & don't over analyse it. My ds is called Riley & when we were 1st telling people his name they all asked twice what his name was but now that's just who he is & the name has got much more popular so not a problem anymore!

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 10-Jul-11 08:48:42

I know a girl whose proper name is Emmy.

PaperBank Sun 10-Jul-11 08:58:48

Very nice smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 10-Jul-11 09:51:38

We have an Emmeline, nn Emmie although at 4 she is keen to tell everyone her name is Emmeween smile.

Use the full name, but only if you love it. Agree with the others that Emmie is too twee for an adult.

Also, she will have to spell her name for the rest of her life but there again I've got a really common popular name and I still have to spell it to everyone.

ragged Sun 10-Jul-11 10:02:10

I know of an 11yo Emmie (or is it Emmy?), I understand that is her full name, not my thing either, really.

pilates Sun 10-Jul-11 21:31:50

Love that name, and also the nn Emmie. Great choice!

cookielove Sun 10-Jul-11 21:34:35

Love Emmie, i would use it as a nn for emily.

DP has said no though grrrrr

everlong Sun 10-Jul-11 21:51:04

Sorry dislike. It's wet imo.

sillysillymistake Mon 18-Jul-11 13:10:07

I know an adult emme, very unusual but lovely. And there wont be any in her nursery/school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now