Talk

Advanced search

Ama, what do you think?

(23 Posts)
mamaesi Sat 09-Jul-11 15:57:05

Its a family name, west african..
for a girl, pronounced (ah-mah)

am interested to hear your reactions, is that how you would pronounce it?

do you like it? or do you think its strange?

Inspirachion Sat 09-Jul-11 15:59:03

I love it. It's nice to hear a name I hadn't heard before too smile

Kyrie Sat 09-Jul-11 16:06:29

I don't like it very much, I think it's the sound of it - sort of flat, no musicality.

Anna is prettier imo though obviously doesn't have the West African link.

sittinginthesun Sat 09-Jul-11 16:12:28

It's pretty. If I didn't know, I would pronounce it A (like cAt) Ma, but I'm ignorant. smile

If it's a family name, then I'd def go for it.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 09-Jul-11 16:18:04

I would pronounced like sitting. I like it but I am biased as this is how DD1's friends shorten her name. The way they call "Ama" is really cute... (between 6 and 7 yo)

Cattleprod Sat 09-Jul-11 16:24:11

I like it, but it does remind me of that shouty girl from Big Brother a few years ago.

SloganLogan Sat 09-Jul-11 16:44:15

Too similar to armour.

Firawla Sat 09-Jul-11 16:47:39

I knew one and she used to say it more like Amma so that's how I would naturally pronounce it? but I do think it is nice

manicinsomniac Sat 09-Jul-11 17:25:53

I only know it from Brazil. As a Hispanic name it is pronounced Am-ma so that's how I'd pronounce it.

But if you teach people that the African name is Ah-ma then they'll learn.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 09-Jul-11 19:24:34

I worked with an Ama and she pronounced it Amma too, so that's what I would assume. I quite like it.

mamaesi Sat 09-Jul-11 21:05:48

i dont understand??

what do you mean amma? to me thats the same pronunciation...

do you mean Amma like the A in Amy? or A like Amelia?

(a like amelia is correct, but just wondering if I am mis understanding)

meditrina Sat 09-Jul-11 21:23:27

It sounds like the vocabulary word "amah" (children's nurse), which might be a drawback, depending on where you are.

When I saw the thread title, I did wonder as well if it were a nn for Amabel.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 09-Jul-11 21:24:48

'Amma' as in rhymes with hammer. The pronunciation you describe sounds like a long 'a' sound like armour. Which is correct?

Firawla Sat 09-Jul-11 22:00:13

by ah-ma i thought you meant with a long a sound

mamaesi Mon 11-Jul-11 14:29:41

long or short a is not that far off, it is sort of in between... I mean its one of those names where it always might sound a tiny bit different when spoken by an english person than by a native speaker.

For me as long as its not too complicated its ok.

MugglesandLuna Mon 11-Jul-11 17:29:12

It makes me think of Shola Ama the singer.

Or the BB contestent that used to be a stripper, but you would have to be a BB geek to think of that.

AlmaMartyr Mon 11-Jul-11 17:57:55

I like it, I used to know an Ama, she pronounced it Ah-mah.

SenoritaViva Mon 11-Jul-11 17:59:49

I giggled at first because (when I read the title) I thought it sounded like I was trying to say Anna but without any teeth. Sorry, but it's true.

Actually Am-ah is rather lovely.

No one pronounces my name right as is very different but it's so lovely I put up with it.

superjobeespecs Mon 11-Jul-11 18:07:52

i knew a little african girl called ama yrs ago, seeing the name again made me smile smile its lovely such a delicate name.

TidyDancer Mon 11-Jul-11 18:10:19

Sorry, don't like it, and it does reminds me of that horrid girl from Big Brother.

otchayaniye Mon 11-Jul-11 21:25:12

I think 'nanny' when I hear it.

mamaesi Tue 12-Jul-11 12:43:52

I hate big brother and never watch it. Thats a shame that this name is associated with it. hmmm... it may put me off..but it does mean something to our family.

by 'nanny' do you mean immigrant/foreigner? well we are anyway...this baby will have blood from 8 different nationalities and we may not live in england forever so I am not so concerned with the name being british.

more concerned that it is not too hard to say/understand

Ephiny Tue 12-Jul-11 14:49:58

I think it's nice, haven't heard of it before but it's a very pretty name.

I think people may not be sure how to pronounce it when they see it written down - I would have thought 'Ah-ma' (with a long a), but some might think 'Ay-ma' (like Amy), or A-mah (with emphasis on last syllable). Not difficult to pronounce once you know how though!

Wouldn't worry about big brother contestants - I never watch that either so had no idea, but I'm sure these minor celebrities will be long forgotten by the time your DD is old enough to care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now