Talk

Advanced search

Dh is set on Beatrice

(50 Posts)
cupofteaplease Fri 08-Jul-11 21:15:52

I like Beatrice, but I'm not sure if it's 'The One', perhaps because of the nickname Bea being a bit short and plain... If she had to have a nickname, I prefer Betty or Beezus (Ramona's sister in the Beverley Cleary books), so I could live with Beatrice.

But I also quite like Daphne and Greta.

Do you have a preference out of these 3 names, or like none of them?

Thanks smile

parkingpermit Fri 08-Jul-11 21:17:12

none of the above

MelinaM Fri 08-Jul-11 21:18:46

Beatrice is lovely, how about Beatrix too?

Greta is also a lovely name, but Daphne is hideoussmile

Beamur Fri 08-Jul-11 21:18:47

You might have a clue to my preference with my nickname...

Greta is sweet too but I don't like Daphne.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 08-Jul-11 21:19:25

Much prefer Daphne and Greta. Dozens of little Beatrices around so it's a bit yawn.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 08-Jul-11 21:20:36

I have a Beatrice and think its lovely obviously and Bea as a nn is very sweet.

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Fri 08-Jul-11 21:21:36

I should leave him grin

Beamur Fri 08-Jul-11 21:22:06

Bit of a marmite one!

cupofteaplease Fri 08-Jul-11 21:24:26

Are there really a lot of Beatrices around? I've never met one yet!

Beamur, what were people's reactions to your name choice?

Sinkingfeeling Fri 08-Jul-11 21:24:32

I have a Beatrice, so I'm obviously biased, but I do love it. Also love the meanings - given variously as 'voyager through life' and 'blessed'. smile

cupofteaplease Fri 08-Jul-11 21:26:04

I'm loving the fact that everyone hates Daphne grin. Everyone I've mentioned it too hates it, but for some reason I've always loved it! It reminds me of daffodils.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 08-Jul-11 21:27:07

I know a couple of other little Bea's and know lots of small children so not massively popular imo but obviously its not massively unusual.

But I prefer classic names and not worried about them being the only one in the village wink

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 08-Jul-11 21:27:58

I do like Daphne - tis very Mitford'esque - I also like Nancy which has a similar feel.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 08-Jul-11 21:28:49

I like Daphne!

BikeRunSki Fri 08-Jul-11 21:29:36

Don't like Daphne or Greta, but do like Beatrice, and Bea, and Beattie.

IF it is any help,mine, DH and DS (2.10)'s nn don't come from our first names.

LetThereBeRock Fri 08-Jul-11 21:29:44

Daphne is beyond hideous.I don't like Beatrice,but it's better than Daphne.Greta is ok.

olddeuteronomy Fri 08-Jul-11 21:37:30

Beatrice is lovely - I only know of 2 toddlers. One has nickname Bea (Bee) the other has a mother who I think may be Spanish (not sure) and nicknamed Bea (pronounced Bay-ah) which I think is nice.

Love Greta too.

Really do not like Daphne but this is because I am Scottish and it makes me think of the fat unattractive sister in the Broons comic strip (most people may not be aware of this though!)

Maryz Fri 08-Jul-11 21:39:29

We had a next-door-neighbour when I was a child who was called Beatrice.

All my life (and I'm quite old), until Andrew and Fergie had their Beatrice, I thought her name was Beetroot blush. I could never understand how someone could call their daughter Beetroot.

HelloKlitty Fri 08-Jul-11 21:45:45

Bea is gorgeous! I always think of a little Bee buzzing around!

Lonnie Fri 08-Jul-11 21:50:22

I love Daphne ok about Greta Beatrice is nice but to me its a common name

HannahHack Fri 08-Jul-11 21:50:50

My middle name is Beatrice, and I HATE IT!! Aparently my dad went into work after I was born, told them that he had chosen Beatrice as my middle name and was greeted with the response SHE WON'T THANK YOU FOR THAT!

Plus the child will always be associated with a woman who wore a toilet seat on her head to an event that was broadcast to 2 million.

Just warning you....

muminthemiddle Fri 08-Jul-11 21:55:38

They are not my cup of tea tbh. If I had to choose one it would be Greta.

thepopsiclekat Sat 09-Jul-11 01:39:23

I think Beatrice is gorgeous smile Not so keen on any of its nicknames, though. Or Greta/Daphne for that matter.

TotallyUnheardOf Sat 09-Jul-11 01:49:09

Beatrice is a lovely name. Nickname for it in Italian is Bice (pronounced bee-chay) which is also nice (nicer than Bea, I think).

SloganLogan Sat 09-Jul-11 06:15:14

Beatrice - like, but Bea is nicest nickname IMO. Betty is OK but traditionally short for Elizabeth. Really don't like Beezus.

Daphne - pretty, maybe due a comeback

Greta - one of the current "harsh" fads which are coming in (Astrid/Margot etc). Sounds like regret

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now