Talk

Advanced search

Are the initials BJ too cruel?

(46 Posts)
Ihatenicknames Fri 08-Jul-11 14:00:36

My surname begins with a J. I love a first name that begins with a B. Is it too cruel to give my child the initials BJ?

vogonmothership Fri 08-Jul-11 14:05:34

My dh's initials and surname spell out an v rude word for lady bottom.
He can be one but it has blighted him for much of his life past the age of 9.
Just sayin' grin

PandaG Fri 08-Jul-11 14:07:13

GIve them a middle initial?

thursday Fri 08-Jul-11 14:08:51

yes, its cruel. middle name would have limited success in stopping them being called blowjob all through school and beyond.

Dorje Fri 08-Jul-11 14:09:43

BJ is too cruel. Sorry! And don't think of exchanging the B for a V either. VJ... nope.
A middle initial won't matter to those who actually name him/her in the playground.

Think again.

Newmummytobe79 Fri 08-Jul-11 14:10:01

I think so - but that's just because they're my friends! It was funny when we were kids but she cringes now. I've been wondering if the initials FO are mean or am I looking into it too much?

LucretiaInShadows Fri 08-Jul-11 14:16:43

My friend's FO and quite likes it. She takes a certain pleasure in initialling things to be passed to particular work colleagues!

neolara Fri 08-Jul-11 14:17:23

Yes

Newmummytobe79 Fri 08-Jul-11 14:19:24

hehehe - thanks LucretiaInShadows smile

Abcinthia Fri 08-Jul-11 14:21:15

Had a boy at school whose initials were BJ and he was teased relentlessly over it.

supadupapupascupa Fri 08-Jul-11 14:23:43

too cruel

jellybeans Fri 08-Jul-11 14:26:42

yep

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 08-Jul-11 14:29:39

Another yup here.

Mumswang Fri 08-Jul-11 14:35:57

our postcode ends in BJ, i, and pretty much anyone i have to give it to, snigger a little bit at it

Totties Fri 08-Jul-11 14:38:26

No go.

MugglesandLuna Fri 08-Jul-11 14:42:41

I wanted N O B for DD, but thought it would be too cruel so changed it.

Asinine Fri 08-Jul-11 14:42:47

Don't do it.

AnaisB Sat 09-Jul-11 09:16:31

DH is BJ and said it didn't bother him much growing up. (When he was 4 he did get upset when someone called him "Ben the Pen".

birdofthenorth Sat 09-Jul-11 11:23:05

Too cruel sorry. Middle name will make no difference when he starts secondary school!

onadifferentplanettoday Sat 09-Jul-11 11:28:05

I have a son with a B first name and a J second, never crossed my mind what could happen but can honestly say at almost 14 no one has ever commented or teased him about it in any way.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 09-Jul-11 11:30:02

It would never occur to me to find it funny. It's not a common abbreviation IME, in fact, I've never come across it apart from a couple of threads on here.

BernadetteRostenkowski Sat 09-Jul-11 13:47:02

My initials were BJ before I got married, it was never, ever a problem. Not at school, university or in work.

Plus, adding a middle name won't help anyway. Most people never know what your middle name is anyway, at school my middle name was never read out, written down or used in any way. My name was always Bernadette J......, not Bernadette Mary J.....

Scathac Sat 09-Jul-11 16:55:52

I taught a boy once called Billy James XXX - his parents always called him BJ and no-one ever commented. These slang terms go in and out of "fashion" and you just don't know what's coming along next, so you have to just go for it.

BTW I have a friend whose surname is "Dick". She says it was never a problem when she was growing up, but now everyone sniggers when she says it (she is a teacher too)

I also had a colleague called Bastard (really true - she pronounced it B'stard with the emphasis on the second syllable). She just fronted it up and after the first couple of days with a new class, the kids simply accepted it.

superjobeespecs Sat 09-Jul-11 17:01:23

my OHs first and middle names make bj and almost everyone calls him bj we're a bunch of immature gits but we dont snigger at that smile its just his name so we're used to it, most other ppl dont know his middle so its no problem but if it was his surname im not so sure he's have got off so easily.

thats no use at all really is it? sorry blush

meditrina Sat 09-Jul-11 17:23:43

It's a generational thing - these initials would not mean anything to someone my age. And dare say in a few years time slang will have moved on and this euphemism will be completely forgotten.

For example, would any of you think twice about the initials RJ? They would have been unthinkable for my cohort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now