Talk

Advanced search

I've just clicked on a couple of random threads and...

(36 Posts)
thereisalightanditnevergoesout Wed 06-Jul-11 21:35:16

they've mostly been discussing the name Romilly.

I have one and I know of about 8 others (directly, and through various acquaintances). Up until now, we've always received mixed reactions (people either like it, or pull a hmm face).

Should I brace myself for loads more and break the news to my DD that she might, after all, be able to buy a pen with her name on in a gift shop one day soon grin?

LucretiaInShadows Wed 06-Jul-11 21:45:12

I like it. A lady at work's got one, aged 5. Don't know any others, though.

Sophiesmummie Wed 06-Jul-11 22:08:04

Don't know any Romillies.

pinkgirlythoughts Thu 07-Jul-11 08:43:30

I like it, but when I suggested it to DP while I was pregnant, he told me it wasn't a real name, and I'd made it up. When we were watching the news and Romilly Weekes, the presenter, came on, he said "just because one person in the world is called that still doesn't make it a real name!" hmm

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 10:06:27

pinkgirlythoughts you might like to direct your DH here smile

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 10:09:22

The weird thing is when DD was born (she's now 6), Evie and Isabella seemed to be the popular names and we wanted to avoid her being in a class with a couple of other girls with the same name, differentiated only by her initial.

Funnily enough, despite their popularity, I hardly know any Isabellas or Evies compared to my collection of Romillys that I mentioned above.

FairyArmadillo Thu 07-Jul-11 10:14:51

Never heard of the name until Romilly Weeks. I love it.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 10:37:18

I heard it first as it's the name of my friend's sister. It used to be mainly a boy's name pre WW2, now it's used mostly for girls.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Jul-11 10:46:32

I used to know one years ago, she would be in her 40s now and have heard of Romilly Weekes too. Don't know of any others though so your DD might have to wait a bit for the giftshop experience smile

MelinaM Thu 07-Jul-11 11:42:49

Lovely name, I know of none!

Fimbo Thu 07-Jul-11 11:45:09

I know a mner with a Romilly, it is a lovely name. Actually it might be you as I can never remember any of the 'locals' names on here! grin

Fimbo Thu 07-Jul-11 11:45:44

*an

Isn't there a Romilly Weeks who reads the news?

MsChanandlerBong Thu 07-Jul-11 12:09:02

I used to work with a Romilly a few years ago (she would now be mid-thirties) and have loved the name ever since, hence it is on my shortlist!
I am grin at a collection of people called Romilly being 'Romillies'!!

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 12:30:22

It is me Fimbo! But I think there are one or two other MNers, too.

MsChanandlerBong my friend's sister is in her mid 30s -I wonder if it's the same person? You're not from Suffolk are you?

CrapolaDeVille Thu 07-Jul-11 12:31:16

I know two.

squeak2392 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:13:02

I don't know any, and didn't know of the name until I found this site.
Gotta admit, I don't really like it, but it's nothing I would pull a face about (now that I know it - when I first read about it I was very much 'What?!' hmm

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 16:30:20

It's a bit of a marmite name, I think squeak! When we first told family (DH's I might add) we definitely got the face (actually there isn't an emoticon to do it justice!) and FIL got out a baby book, licked his fingers, turned a page and said, 'Alright, how about 'Ruperta'?... 'Richenda'?...' (Mind you he did the same with DS2 (DC4) when he was 5 days old because he didn't like what we'd picked.) - I supoose that's why it's surprised me to find 3 threads with it on a shortlist/being discussed.

chocoroo Thu 07-Jul-11 17:39:20

I've got one and she's almost 5 months. I've noticed a lot more people suggesting it on here recently and I'd also been wondering if one day we'd be able to get a pen with her name on smile

We've had nothing but good reactions to it, with a couple of people telling us she'll never be able to spell it at school (a bit like all the Elizabeth's and Alexandra's eh?!). We assumed she'd become Romy or Milly over time but so far people are sticking with the full version.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 18:17:57

Yeah - I can't fathom why people have such a hard time spelling it, either - I mean, it's spelled as it sounds. We do get all sorts of variations though - Romany, Bromley, Romney amonst the mis-hearings and mis-spellings.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 18:19:35

Actually, since posting this, I've found it as a suggestion on another thread.

Panzee Thu 07-Jul-11 18:20:40

I always think of this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romiley

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 07-Jul-11 18:22:30

Ha ha, yes - DD was very nearly born in Sheffield and we got some funny looks there, too!

chocoroo Thu 07-Jul-11 18:40:20

My friend did send me a picture of the Romilly Street sign when she was in Soho the other day.

I'm more keen to make a trip to Romilly sur Seine in France which is apparently very close to the champagne region smile

Most commonly we get people spelling it with just one l, although we get a lot of mishearings too - mainly Romany.

DodgyTodger Thu 07-Jul-11 18:57:34

How is it pronounced then? Is it Ro-milly or Rom-illy, because if the second I would expect the spelling to be Rommily or Romily (like Emily)

DodgyTodger Thu 07-Jul-11 18:58:18

(not the place in France, I know how that's pn) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now