Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Xanthe or Elsa

(13 Posts)
MrsOzz Mon 04-Jul-11 18:27:55

So it may be pregnancy hormones but I have the urge to explore other names, even though we are pretty much settled on Elsa Niamh for my little girl.

But I heard Xanthe (zan-thee) and I like it.

I also like Anya (my middle name)

Hmmm can Xanthe or Anya beat Elsa? Opinions please?!

tortilla Mon 04-Jul-11 18:31:46

Xanthe means golden-haired. It was a contender for DD and we thought we'd be pretty safe as DS is white-blonde and both DH and I were blonde as babies and I still am (mousey but def of the blonde variety!) but she came out with the blackest hair that there was no way she was ever going to be blonde even if that all fell out. She is 9mo now and very definitely brown-haired. So it just felt wrong to name her Xanthe. If there's any chance your DD is not going to be blonde you might want to reconsider (assuing you care about meanings)

We love it as a name, but also thought it might be construed as a little bit pretentious which is why it was never the front runner.

I really like Elsa too. Lots of a ending names don't work with our surname, but otherwise Elsa would have been high on my list.

MelinaM Mon 04-Jul-11 18:47:26

Love Xanthe smile

Chaotica Mon 04-Jul-11 18:49:54

I like all of them. Not much help then.

SloganLogan Mon 04-Jul-11 18:53:23

I like Xanthe best of the three smile

aliceliddell Mon 04-Jul-11 18:57:34

Elsa = lion; people would hum'born free'

MrsOzz Mon 04-Jul-11 19:13:58

I don't remember Born Free! Am I too old? Too young? Lol. Although I have heard about Elsa the lioness when researching the name. It doesn't really bother me - there are worse things a name could remind you of!

Maybe Elsa if she's dark-haired, Xanthe if she emerges blonde and Anya if she's bald as a coot!

Eglu Mon 04-Jul-11 21:26:12

I adore Xanthe, but DH wouldn't allow it. I also think Anya is a lovely name. I'm not keen on Elsa tbh.

proudfoot Tue 05-Jul-11 05:09:57

Elsa Niamh is absolutely gorgeous. It's classic but not too popular and boring. I would definitely stick with it!

Xanthe is too much of a "novelty" name IMO - trying too hard to be zany.
Anya is nice but a bit dated.

IvyAndGold Tue 05-Jul-11 05:24:08

elsa niamh is definitely my favourite! though i may be biased as DD's middle name is niamh and elsa is pretty darn close too! wink

imnobody Tue 05-Jul-11 06:11:14

Xanthe in Greek is pronounced with ks sound at the beginning and not z. It is my daughter's name and I have spelt it Ksanthi in keeping with the Greek pronunciation as we live in Greece smile

imnobody Tue 05-Jul-11 06:16:03

Oh and my daughter is a red head but here you name your children after you parents so didn't count the hair colour grin

Yama Tue 05-Jul-11 06:53:05

I love both Xanthe and Anya. A lot.

Not keen on Elsa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now