Talk

Advanced search

Miranda or Emilia?

(39 Posts)
pipparoo Sun 03-Jul-11 22:26:44

so I think we've narrowed it down to these two names should we have a girl.

I'd like to meet baby before making a final decision but would like some opinions just out of sheer interest.

I love both both!

TYIA

Northernlurker Sun 03-Jul-11 22:30:23

I have a Miranda. It is a fantastic name grin

Emilia is very pretty too but maybe a little bit more likely to get mixed up with other names - Emily, Amelia, Amelie etc?

Miranda has a latin root - worthy of admiration - which I think is a fantastic meaning for an adorable daughter smile

DialMforMummy Sun 03-Jul-11 22:36:37

Miranda

MelinaM Mon 04-Jul-11 00:33:03

Miranda is fabsmile

randomimposter Mon 04-Jul-11 08:44:26

Emilia for me.

pilates Mon 04-Jul-11 09:58:03

Def Emilia - lovely name, not keen on Miranda.

pommedechocolat Mon 04-Jul-11 10:04:28

I really like Emilia, Miranda sounds like a name for an older person I think.. And it makes me think of the tv show a bit I'm afraid...

PorkChopSter Mon 04-Jul-11 10:05:41

Miranda.

Emilia is too much like Amalie, Amelia, Emily etc - she/you will forever be spelling it out or correcting people.

thesurgeonsmate Mon 04-Jul-11 10:19:12

We know a new Emilia, and PorkChopSter is right that there seems to be confusion. There is also a significant section of her public who believe that it's not actually a name.

JanMorrow Tue 05-Jul-11 11:32:04

Both beautiful but I think I'd go for Miranda (love the Shakespearean vibe!). There are lots of Amelia's around at the moment.

Bandwithering Tue 05-Jul-11 12:36:28

Emilia

Miranda is just so braying, wannabeposh, twinset and pearls, mirahhhhhhhhhhhhhhndahhh

DodgyTodger Tue 05-Jul-11 13:33:15

Miranda sounds like a name for an older person

So? one day this baby will be an older person, all being well!

DodgyTodger Tue 05-Jul-11 13:37:06

There is an Emilia in Shakespeare too (Othello) so I'm surprised that people think it's not a "real name". At least you can prove that it's not a recent invention" grin

pommedechocolat Tue 05-Jul-11 13:39:23

Well, yes dodgy, of course. However I think a 'good' name sees a person through all stages of life, from babygroup to boardroom.
Many names are seen as not so 'good' because they may not have enough gravitas when that person is an adult.
It works the other way round too.

DodgyTodger Tue 05-Jul-11 14:04:20

Ah, but they are only babies for the blink of an eye.

Ephiny Tue 05-Jul-11 14:48:07

I prefer Miranda. Both are nice though. And Emilia most definitely is a real name - though don't think I've ever heard it used in the UK, it tends to be Emily/Amelia here.

Northernlurker Tue 05-Jul-11 15:52:03

Bandwithering - is there any need to be so rude? Ok you don't like the way it sounds.

You're totally wrong btw.

DodgyTodger Tue 05-Jul-11 16:00:27

Ephiny there is the actress Emilia Fox.

Ephiny Tue 05-Jul-11 16:05:07

Oh yes, of course smile. Though the only ones I've met personally have been Greek/Italian.

pommedechocolat Tue 05-Jul-11 18:04:15

I don't think Miranda would come into its own until 30s/40s though!

I too think of Emilia Fox with Emilia.

Which is better than Miranda Hart...

pilates Tue 05-Jul-11 20:06:31

Northernlurker, I don't think Bandwithering was being rude, just expressing an opinion, like all of us on here smile

pipparoo Wed 06-Jul-11 13:01:55

Thank you for your opinions.

I think it has to be Miranda as when my DH said Emilia earlier I wouldn't have known whether he was saying Amelia or not. Thus could get confusing and Amelia is just too ubiquitous for me.

I did have concerns that Miranda is a grown up name but I'm really not a fan of cutesy names.

Just out of interest, pommedechocolat, which names do you think see a child through from babygroup to boardroom?

pommedechocolat Wed 06-Jul-11 13:24:41

Anna, Eleanor, Katherine (because of nn though I guess)

Ahh can't think of any more now.

We're currently debating Anna vs Esther vs Beth.

What nn would you use with Miranda or do you think you'd use Miranda all the time?

It is a shame about Emilia and I agree with you on Amelia and popularity.

pipparoo Wed 06-Jul-11 13:47:27

I was thinking that Mimi would be a sweet nn if it had to be shortened. Or maybe Pip as that's what bump is called!

For me half the battle is trying to choose a name that doesn't belong to someone I know/have negative associations. Miranda Hart is a pain bit hoping the kids in the playground won't make that connection.

It's not easy!

I like your name choices, Esther is my favourite as whilst it's not 'out there' it
would set your daughter apart.

herecomesthsun Wed 06-Jul-11 14:06:54

Well Miranda in the Tempest is the female lead and a beautiful young teenager, probably the best known Miranda in literature. So it doesn't seem like a middle aged name to me, with that association. I did think of it as perhaps being a bit upper middle class, but actually I think Miranda Hart has subverted that a bit. And the meaning is rather lovely, she who is to be admired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now