Talk

Advanced search

Have a Jacob, Can I have an Edward too?

(17 Posts)
fozzy26 Sat 02-Jul-11 21:32:37

Never seen twilight but I know these are the names of two main characters so if I call my next boy Edward will everyone assume I am a huge twilight fan. Also, a bit worried Jacob and Edward may be shortened to Jedward or am I over thinking this?

thisisyesterday Sat 02-Jul-11 21:34:45

well, i read your title and thought yes, whyever not?

i have no idea about twilight etc as don't watch tv, so might be in a minority tho lol

i don't think i'd let it put me off if i loved the names

LynetteScavo Sat 02-Jul-11 21:36:09

You are over thinking.

Edward is a fabulous name.

(And anyway it would be Jakeward, not Jedward grin)

razzlebathbone Sun 03-Jul-11 11:52:48

I had no idea why not either. Never seen Twilight.

PrincessJenga Sun 03-Jul-11 18:35:08

No. Sorry. The mere fact you realised means you can't! Toooooo many people will make the Twilight link. And the Jedward link would be even worse.

SloganLogan Sun 03-Jul-11 20:47:24

They are both very nice names. I didn't think of Jedward.

BellaBearisWideAwake Sun 03-Jul-11 20:49:24

They are lovely names and generic enough that on their own people wouldn't make the link but together, well LOADS of people would, and not just teenagers. Depends on how much that bothers you.

zippy539 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:52:52

Is it just me that thinks that in a few years time both Jedward and Twilight will have faded into utter obscurity? If you like the name use it - chances are everyone will shorten Edward to Ed or Eddie any road making the connection less obvious.

Moffit Mon 04-Jul-11 13:16:31

I would say Yes, they are both perfectly nice names in their own right. I have never seen twilight, and didn't know the connection from your title. if you like them, use them!

Hedwig3 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:27:53

No because it is horrid grin

PipFEH Mon 04-Jul-11 15:03:51

I wouldn't worry about Twilight - I think it is a flash in the pan. My son's middle name is Edward and his first initial is a J - my hubby helpfully made a joke about it during the x factor in question and that is the only reference ever made to Jedward. They too are a flash in the pan.

LineRunner Tue 05-Jul-11 23:38:15

Edward is lovely but what about Edmund or Edwin?

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 05-Jul-11 23:40:38

Didn't know about twilight, but did think of jedward, but probably only because they were on tv this morning!

jellybeans Wed 06-Jul-11 14:42:12

I think people will comment to be honest but if you love it, who cares?

lolajane2009 Thu 07-Jul-11 01:02:07

lol i'm a huge twilight fan and calling my son inside me edward. Although, it is mainly because we are using family names and it was that or Cyril...

birdofthenorth Thu 07-Jul-11 09:53:49

Lovely names together. Never seen Twighlight, & it'll probably be old news by the time your DC go to school.

Besides, they are nice normal names anyway. If you were proposing Harry & Hermione it might be more overtly recogniseable!!

flagging Thu 07-Jul-11 09:59:35

Apparently they are the biggest names in America thanks to Stephanie Meyer. They are both lovely names and I have a DS with one and always intended to call another DS the other. This was before Twilight (which by the way I love).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now