Talk

Advanced search

would it be really cruel...

(21 Posts)
goatshavestrangeeyes Thu 30-Jun-11 14:07:03

if we had a boy to name him Charlie, even though our surname is Dickens?

Charles is a very important family name and Charlie is one of about 3 names we can agree on. We already have a middle name so won't be using it for that. Or would it just be plain evil?

grin

mistressploppy Thu 30-Jun-11 14:08:18

I would do it. But then I'm a bit silly grin

Seriously, why not? It's not as if Charles Dickens was a nasty man or anything <waits to be corrected>

TrilllianAstra Thu 30-Jun-11 14:08:55

It wouldn't be the kindest thing you could do for him, no.

swash Thu 30-Jun-11 14:23:28

I think it would, yes.

razzlebathbone Thu 30-Jun-11 14:27:23

Sometimes you just have to accept that you shouldn't use a name even if you love it. This is one of those times. Unless you would be prepared to double barrell your surnames, so Charlie xxxxx - Dickens.

MsChanandlerBong Thu 30-Jun-11 15:11:29

I'm afraid I think it would be a bit mean too. You mentioned it was one of about three names that you agree on... so I would go for one of the other two if I were you.

LetThereBeRock Thu 30-Jun-11 16:37:31

It'd be wrong.

AberdeenAngusina Thu 30-Jun-11 17:06:46

Why not have two middle names; the one you've chosen already and Charlie?

headfairy Thu 30-Jun-11 17:08:14

I think so. I used to know someone who was a direct descendent of Charles Dickens and even he wasn't called Charles Dickens grin

SloganLogan Thu 30-Jun-11 17:20:25

I wouldn't do it. What are the other names you like?

ChessPiece Thu 30-Jun-11 17:27:24

I know a James Mason grin When introduced to him, it made me think of the actor instead of thinking about the person in front of me IYSWIM.

headfairy Thu 30-Jun-11 17:32:17

I also knew an Oliver Reed, though his surname was spelled Reid. Not good to share a name with a famous drunk who occasionally acted.

missmiss Thu 30-Jun-11 17:35:28

It would be cruel to put Charlie on the birth certificate.

Littlefish Thu 30-Jun-11 17:36:20

Please don't do it.

MinnieBar Thu 30-Jun-11 17:38:54

I knew a Thomas Cook. I used to inwardly giggle every time I saw him (and wonder 'what were his parents thinking?!'.

I suppose if you're going to put 'Charlie' on the birth certificate the link might not be apparent.

'Hi, I'm Charlie Dickens' sounds ok. Just.

CharlieBoo Thu 30-Jun-11 17:49:31

Mnmm agree with other posters... Our surname is Jones which ruled out Tom and Grace for us! Sometimes you have to accept you can't use a name... I can see why you love Charlie though!

birdofthenorth Thu 30-Jun-11 17:58:30

Yes, silly. I stopped a friend naming her babba Thomas Moore & Sir T is less famous than Charles D!

I know a Michael Jackson, a Janet Jackson & a Michael Kane they all have bad relations with their parents wink

TheSecondComing Thu 30-Jun-11 18:05:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birdofthenorth Thu 30-Jun-11 20:09:02

Don't tell my friend that Second, I think she still begrudges me & a whole pub full of (mostly Catholic) people greeting the idea of Thomas Moore with "Sir, Sir" and "off with his head!"!

squeak2392 Thu 30-Jun-11 21:00:16

:O Charlie Dickens would be amazing!!!
Apparently I'm alone in thinking this, but I'd definitely do it if I was particularly keen on Charlie!
At least it's Dickens and not Manson wink

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jun-11 21:09:15

I would, but I am called Alice Cooper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now