Talk

Advanced search

Does Anyone Know A Pretty Female Version of Walter?

(26 Posts)
emmanumber3 Wed 29-Jun-11 21:48:36

DD due in a few weeks time - I think we finally have a first name (possibly) but would quite like to find a middle name from DH's family. Our DSs both have family names.

FIL (Walter) passed away suddenly in January - just before we announced the pregnancy to family & it would be nice, if possible, to use his name in some form.

Have looked at a few websites but really not found anything helpful at all.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2cats2many Wed 29-Jun-11 21:51:56

Wallis?

emmanumber3 Wed 29-Jun-11 22:25:10

That's quite nice actually - thank you. Nicer than some names the internet is throwing up that's for sure! smile

SloganLogan Wed 29-Jun-11 22:41:36

I can only find Waltrina, Walteena, Walterine and Waltina...

MelinaM Wed 29-Jun-11 23:45:56

I'd just have Walter, it's a lovely name and why the devil not? There are plenty of girlies names Jamie, Drew, Cameron etc...

Found this: http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Walter

Altair is quite nice, but do love Walter as it issmile

MelinaM Wed 29-Jun-11 23:46:16

...try again: www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Walter

smother Wed 29-Jun-11 23:56:56

Walter is tricky to feminise I think ... did walter have a middle name you could use/adapt?

Otherwise, could you use the letters of Walter somehow to make a 'new' name... sorry too late to think of how!

EightiesChick Wed 29-Jun-11 23:57:54

I think Wallis is your best best. Good suggestion.

EightiesChick Wed 29-Jun-11 23:58:18

best BET I mean. Can't type tonight!

hellymelly Wed 29-Jun-11 23:59:10

I know of a teenage Wallis and I've always liked it.

Janoschi Thu 30-Jun-11 08:13:42

Waltruda? I had a similar issue last year but gave up to be honest. Waltruda was the only one I liked but it didn't fit our surname at all!

PrincessJenga Thu 30-Jun-11 08:50:14

How about just 'Walter' as a middle name?

sparkle12mar08 Thu 30-Jun-11 12:51:48

I'd go with either Wallis or Walter as middle names. Wallis for preference.

Bonsoir Thu 30-Jun-11 12:58:05

I think Walter is awful! Does your FIL have a middle name you could get inspiration from instead?

My DD has my mother's name (Zoë) as a third name. Thank goodness we won't be having any more as I should loathe to lumber a future DD with my MOL's name (Martine).

lizzieloubee1 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:53:57

Is Terry/Terri toofar from Walter? Or Winnie?

swash Thu 30-Jun-11 14:25:25

What was his middle name? Or could you commemorate him in a different way - for example, if he was religious, you could call him Faith. If he was from Wales, you could give dd a Welsh name etc. I don't think there is much scope in Walter.

Fifis25StottieCakes Thu 30-Jun-11 15:12:56

What about Thomsine or Thomasina. When i done my family tree there were loads in the early 1900's.

Bandwithering Fri 01-Jul-11 17:22:45

I agree with Swash.

Walter Jnr on Breaking Bad changed his name from Walter to Flynn!

Journey Fri 01-Jul-11 18:22:07

Agree with Bonsoir. Walter is a hideous name. Although I understand that it would be nice to name your DD after your FIL I think you've got to question how nice the name is. Your DD will still be his granddaughter whether you use the name (or a version of the name) or not.

Lonnie Fri 01-Jul-11 18:31:20

Walter on its own is beautiful I think.. and I quite like Wallis too only other thing that occured to me was to use the letters but all i can come up with is Twaler and im not sure thats all that feminine..

LolaRennt Sat 02-Jul-11 01:42:58

The problem is any name other than walter... won't be walter. i dont think naming a girl walter is a good idea either, so maybe wait and see if you another dc and its a boy? Or use as a middle name

thumbwitch Sat 02-Jul-11 01:49:03

Waltessa?
It's not the best name to try and feminise, is it?
Second someone else's suggestion of using his middle name if he has one - hopefully it's easier to work with.

MrsOzz Sat 02-Jul-11 13:04:32

Alter? Walt? Walden?

I do like Wallis. What was his surname?

islanzadi Tue 05-Jul-11 00:50:05

the only name i can think of that actually is a variant of walter is the foreign boys name vanda that can be used for girls aswell.

thumbwitch Tue 05-Jul-11 01:13:42

Valda is a valid girls' name - my Dad used to work with a Valda, she was Welsh, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now