Talk

Advanced search

To all of you who want an unusual/quirky/'out of there' name for your offspring....

(74 Posts)
2kidsintow Tue 28-Jun-11 21:22:10

Think first! My name is Tamzin (not as unusual as some, but pretty unusual at the time I was a child - it was years and years until I met another) and I do like an unusual name now I am an adult, but found it difficult as a child.

Unusual can be lovely, but do your child a favour and pick a name...

....that they won't have to be spelling out for everyone every time someones asks for their name.

....that people can pronounce easily when they read it written down (poor, poor children in some of my classes who lament that they never have their name said properly).

...that isn't so unusual that no other children have ever heard of it...so unusual in fact that it gives the horrible high school children who have never met you before an easy excuse to laugh at you- personal experience speaking here sad

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 28-Jun-11 21:23:22

Oh i SOOOO wanted to call DD2 Tamzin but Dh wouldn't let me. I still love the name now though. All my DC's have very common traditional names.

smother Tue 28-Jun-11 21:26:35

I agree. My name was very unsual when I was growing up (never met another until I was well into my 20s) and at every stage, I wanted to be called something more 'normal'... I do appreciate my name now but it's taken a while.

Fennel Tue 28-Jun-11 21:29:33

I think it's a bit different now. Half the children I know have "unusual" names. So my children's names don't stick out, they are fairly unusual but they are in classes and groups with lots of other different unusual names. Quite different from when I was a child and we all had the same few names.

2kidsintow Tue 28-Jun-11 21:30:24

I like Tamzin as a name now, although I did have one friend whose boyfriend told me it sounded like the name of a Chinese restaurant. (Not helped by the fact the same joke was made in a pilot of a sitcom a few weeks later!)

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Jun-11 21:34:40

wow, so you're speaking on behalf of ALL people with unusual names huh?

cos you know, some people with unusual names actually like them. and some people with really boring run-of-the-mill names hate them

so, i will bear in mind that one person didn't like her name when i next have to name a child of mine.
thanks smile

NorksAreMessy Tue 28-Jun-11 21:42:54

Snippy thisis
have you had a bad day?

LongWayRound Tue 28-Jun-11 21:43:06

My parents gave me a very unusual name for my first name, and then decided that it was so unusual (no-one would have heard of it/be able to spell it/pronounce it) that they wouldn't actually call me by it. So they called me by my middle name, which was a very common name (in the sense that lots of other children were called the same thing!) that I absolutely hated. When I moved from primary to secondary school I decided that I wanted to be called by my much nicer first name. So now only my family call me by my boring middle name, and everyone else knows me by my first name.

Some of us actually like our unusual names smile

PelvicFloor0fSteel Tue 28-Jun-11 21:49:51

I love my unusual name, I've only met one other who was my friend's granny. It is a proper name with a proper spelling and I like the meaning which probably all helps.

Both my DS's have unusual names but they are still proper names, spelt properly and have nice meanings. I hope they'll like them when they grow up, particularly as they both have unusual middle names as well, we just used our second favourite names instead of giving them boring names to fall back on!

LongWayRound Tue 28-Jun-11 21:50:14

... having said which, maybe my parents did have the right idea in that they at least gave me the option of choosing between a very unusual name and a usual one. So, "do your child a favour and pick two names " ... then let them decide if they want to stand out from the crowd or not.

2kidsintow Tue 28-Jun-11 21:50:40

Hi Thisisyesterday.

If you read my post I do say that I like my name. I just got royally fed up of growing up with noone being able to say my name properly, spell it properly and extremely sick of the fact that very many unkind teenagers in school used it as an easy way to pick on me.

I do personally think that those are things that people should take into account when picking the names of their children. Just like thinking about whether the name will be pronouncecd nicely in the locality you live in and whether their initials spell something rude!

LittleMissFlustered Tue 28-Jun-11 21:56:07

My daughter has an odd name. She has never met another of the same name. She loves the tale behind it, and hasn't had a bad reaction to it either.

It's like most things in life. To some it suits, for others it's pants. I'm never going to have a Jessica or James. Meaning is more important to me than blending insmile

SayItLoud Tue 28-Jun-11 21:58:23

But surely everyone chooses a name that they like, for whatever reason. No-one chooses a name thinking, 'ooh yes this'll get my boy bullied nicely at school, that's the name for us'. It's one of the most individual choices we ever make. I think Tamzin is fairly run of the mill, there were three in my tiny primary school, whereas you find it unusual. You'd probably hate my children's names and think they're really wacky, but it just doesn't matter.

SecretNutellaFix Tue 28-Jun-11 22:04:38

My name is not particularly unusual at all. Yet it was the bane of my life growing up.

How do you solve a problem like......
The most beautiful sound I ever heard.....
Ave.....

Do I need to go on?

It certainly didn't help that I was musical as well.

Children can be vicious bastards to anyone who's a little bit different for any reason or even for no apparent reason at all.

The best thing any parent can do for their child is to give them the confidence to bat off any tormenting/ mockery.

2kidsintow Tue 28-Jun-11 22:07:03

Wow....Sayit loud, I wonder where you hail from? I think that some names are more popular in different areas of the country which would explain perhaps why you knew several Tamzins, yet I was 25 before I met another person in any way that shared my name.

I've taught lots of children with unusual names and I agree with the poster that says they are more prevalent now than they used to be.

LittleMissFlustered: I agree. Avoid Jessica. My dd2 has that name because my dd1 asked about it and my DH likes traditional names and there are 4 in her reception class, and 6 in her year group. My other child has a traditional name, but is one of only 2 in her whole school of 400 children who have that name.

SayItLoud Tue 28-Jun-11 22:13:36

A village in south Wales, 2kids.

I have taken entirely the opposite view to the advice given in your op, and chosen names that are unusual, but more importantly names that we love.

If my children are bullied because of their name, I shall deal with it at the time, but as SecretNutellaFix says, children can be horrible about anything, for any reason, and they're just as likely to be picked on for the colour of their hair as their names.

2kidsintow Tue 28-Jun-11 22:16:35

Sad, but true.

Janoschi Tue 28-Jun-11 22:17:18

I like unusual names. I have a name I've never yet heard on anyone else (33 years and counting). Yes I've had the mick taken out of it (it's Welsh) but I've never, not once, wanted a different name. My middle name is deeply dull and I'm still embarrassed at just how deeply dull it is (twin sister got a way cooler middle name, sigh).

Who cares if you get a teeny bit of mickey-taking as a kid? Kids pick on loads of things - you can't make a kid bully-proof so why bother trying to accommodate a bunch of silly 6 year olds in a playground when choosing a special name for your gorgeous wee baby? I've benefited a lot from having an odd name actually. People remember it. Always a good thing from a work point of view.

If most Mumsnetters had their way, I think every girl would be called Isobel, Sophia or Clementine and every boy would be Harry, Oliver or Thomas.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 28-Jun-11 22:18:02

I like being a Tamsin, yes it did bother me a little when I was younger, but if other people can't pronounce it I just assume they are a little dense as it is phonetic ;-)

And it never really bothered me that I have only met 2 other ones in my life, I quite like standing out...

Honeydragon Tue 28-Jun-11 22:20:43

I grew up with a unusual first name that my teachers couldn't pronounce properly, despite it being easy phonetically and common within literary works. It is a more common name of latter years I know lots of little ones, but few adult ones.

You know what, it never bothered me a jot, people liked me or didn't, people liked my name or didn't. Can't do anything about peoples opinions on either and no harm learning that early on.

It also helped when people discovered my surname was very easy to rip the piss out of when we got older and ensured I didn't give a shit.

I have always liked my name.

I have an unusual name. It was a PITA growing up. I've learnt to accept it, but there was a long time when I wanted to be known as Jane. My DC have recognisable, supposedly easy to spell names. Yet because of a certain sodding racing car DS2 gets his spelt wrong frequently.

lockets Tue 28-Jun-11 22:28:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KoolAidKid Tue 28-Jun-11 22:36:47

I have a bog standard name, but it's also a shortening of a longer name (similar to Kate, which is also a nickname for Katherine). I got so sick of people assuming I was actually called the longer version, and having to correct them.

And my surname is very unusual, difficult to spell and easy to take the piss out of and there was nothing my parents could do about that.

You can't win either way IMO.

Janoschi Tue 28-Jun-11 22:39:20

I also knew a fair few Tamsins. One at primary school when I was little, then I ended up working with two Tamsins in the same room as an adult (one lovely and one as thick as s**t grin ). Never thought it especially far out, to be honest. And as others have said, it's not really a name you can pronounce wrong! Do like it though.

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Jun-11 22:39:59

bad day? no. just get annoyed by people proclaiming what we should and shouldn't do when naming our children

fwiw i have a very, very, very, very common first name. and fairly common surname

i have to spell both of them every time i give my name, because there are variations on them

the whole "do your child a favour and pick a name" that abides by my arbitrary rules based on my own frustration at my name is just so utterly pointless.
I've heard it on here before and it just gets my goat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now