Talk

Advanced search

Boys Names

(25 Posts)
xstitch Tue 28-Jun-11 13:49:16

I can only think of girls names which is bad because I am convinced this is a boy. I desperately need inspiration.

DP isn't keen on using any names from family or colleagues which is going to cause problems as it narrows down the possibilities a lot.

Can someone try and inspire me. Or at least make me laugh, feeling down about lots of things today.

MelinaM Tue 28-Jun-11 14:02:12

Atticus
Balthazar
Caspar
Cassian
Dashiell
Heath
Inigo
Jaoquin
Lysander
Olivier
Phinneaus
Rafe
Rafferty
Sebastian
Seth
Thaddeus
Theodore ..Teddy

Alexander
Arthur
Charles ..Charlie
Christopher ..Kit
Edward
Edmund
George
Henry
James
Leonnard
Wilf

xstitch Tue 28-Jun-11 14:11:41

I like Seth and George, wonder if I can convince DP.

SloganLogan Tue 28-Jun-11 14:15:53

How would you describe your taste? Old-fashioned, modern, unusual, traditional, classic?

How about Samuel, Gregory, Eli, Daniel, Oliver, Peter, Elliot, Miles, Jacob, Luke?

xstitch Tue 28-Jun-11 14:16:59

I'm quite traditional I guess.

Fifis25StottieCakes Wed 29-Jun-11 23:42:02

Warren
Sam
Luca
Juan
Eli
Mack

Fifis25StottieCakes Wed 29-Jun-11 23:42:31

Louie smile

MelinaM Wed 29-Jun-11 23:50:42

Louie is lovelysmile

A few more...

Albert
Andrew ..Drew
Claude
Nicholas
Spencer

xstitch Thu 30-Jun-11 07:53:09

DP has now added can't be a surname to the list of exclusions. I may strangle him eventually.

I have suggested Andrew, Seth, Jacob and Joshua to him in the past 24hrs and had a resounding NO! to all. Also suggested Fraser (I'm Scottish) and he was horrified.

Think I may name the baby and sneak to the registry office to register him wink

Fifis25StottieCakes Thu 30-Jun-11 11:13:30

My DDs dad was the same with out first daughter, i picked a name i loved, he said no. I picked another he said no. In the end i said you pick a name. I actually quite liked it but not as much as my choice. We agreed i would use my choice on the next DC. I had a daughter and used the name i had picked for dd1. DD1 hates her name and loves the 2nd choice name i had for her. DD3 we came to a compromise. I tried to get Ethne in somewhere with all of them and he said no absolutely not and all the dd's dislike it.

Names are a night mare and boys are even harder than girls. Do you like anything he likes. I would write a list of name down from here and in RL which you like and tell him to cross all the ones he hates off then you are left with some to work with grin

MsChanandlerBong Thu 30-Jun-11 23:10:53

My favourite boys names are Zachary and Milo (closely followed by Seth!). DH and I agree completely on these names... we are expecting a DD which is making things a whole heap more difficult!

xstitch Fri 01-Jul-11 09:07:18

DP hasn't come up with any names at all.

CheerfulYank Fri 01-Jul-11 09:16:53

Noah
Caleb
Sam (I have one and he's oh so lovely grin)
Alexander/Alec/Alex/Xander
James
Peter

Quenelle Fri 01-Jul-11 10:27:56

Your DH is being supremely unhelpful isn't he! Has he expressed a style of name that he likes?

I agree, Louie is lovely.

xstitch Fri 01-Jul-11 12:03:09

He has only said what the name can't be which is a surname or remind him of someone. hmm pretty much rules out every name.

Last night I suggested Aiden, Alex, Zack, and Stephen.

I also suggested Sophocles, Aristotle, Galen and Avicenna to try and force him into suggesting something. He decided I was just hormonal.

If he doesn't come up with something soon I may scream. It wouldn't be so bad if he was making suggestions.

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Jul-11 12:07:51

I am having a girl (much to my surprise!) so you can have my boys' name, Frederick Michael James. But I bet they'd remind him of someone. More unusually -

Ambrose
Amos
Randal
Finnian
Ivor, Ives
Chas
Lynval (I was served by one in Tesco last week, is a real name!)

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Jul-11 12:08:03

Eben

mumnosbest Fri 01-Jul-11 19:51:15

Joshua
Robbie
Reuben
Oliver

allthefires Fri 01-Jul-11 20:57:32

Aidan

33goingon64 Fri 01-Jul-11 21:23:16

We had a similar problem, loads of girl names but only one boy name we agreed on: Thomas (we call him Tom or Tommy). I liked Joseph (Joe) better but DH wasn't keen. So we had Joseph as a middle name. As it happens, DH's paternal grandad was Thomas and my paternal grandad was Joseph... Neither of us knew our Grandads. Although we didn't choose them primarily for that reason, it's quite a nice continuity and DH's dad was so touched we had chosen his Dad's name.

I don't see the problem with choosing names from family members of distinctly different generations or who have passed away. I agree it's not sensible to have more than one of any one name in close family. My actual fave boys names were Daniel (brother), James (brother in law), Joshua (nephew #1), William (nephew #2), Benjamin (nephew #3) and the best of all, Alex (DH!).

33goingon64 Fri 01-Jul-11 21:24:48

And if DP is going to be so unhelpful, I think you are well within your rights to choose whatever you want!

mummy22gorgeousboys Sat 02-Jul-11 16:52:22

We already have an Alfie James and are expecting another boy any day now - I am 41+2.

We are also really struggling with names. I think you need to be a bit more realistic with a boys name where you can be a bit more adventurous and romantic for girls.

We can't agree on any.

Our son likes Josh
My husband likes Oliver - though I think that's too common now - like Alfie
I like Harrison

I actually love Romeo and Ryder, but my husband would never allow it and I worry that I would regret it a few years down the line.

Boys names are so hard to choose!

xstitch Sat 02-Jul-11 16:54:43

We now have a short list grin. I wouldn't let him move until he told me some names and it worked. We have Alex, Joshua and Daniel.

FriskyMare Sat 02-Jul-11 16:57:35

OOH quite like Ryder!

Fifis25StottieCakes Sat 02-Jul-11 22:14:56

Alex
Daniel
Josh

I dont think you can go wrong with Daniel which i had on my boys list but i like Alex better i think.

Not keen on Josh as it reminds me of Yoshi off super mario bros grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now