Talk

Advanced search

Disagreeing about names

(10 Posts)
islanzadi Tue 28-Jun-11 12:13:58

i love freya, chloe and isabel
He loves bethany, louise and bryony

The only one we kind of agree on is isabel. With helen as a middle name..

Freya is a difficult one as our surname starts with f but i'm thinking a middle name would help?

As for boys, don't even get me started.. The only ones we agree on are james and jacob but i'm not 100%

He likes Matthew, Jack, Peter
I like Christopher, Luke, Elliott

We both agree we don't want an alternative spelling or a very uncommon name. I don't really like cutesy names for girls.

I don't mind the name being popular as my side of the family isn't british and it needs to be easy for them to pronounce..

I've run out of ideas!!

PrettyMeerkat Tue 28-Jun-11 12:34:18

I love Isabel! Chloe and Freya are nice too. I wouldn't worry about the FF thing too much, it might even sound catchy. The middle name won't make much difference anyway as you don't normally pronounce a name plus middle name at the drs for example, just first and last.

His girls names (not including Louise) are quite er not sure what the word is without being offensive.

Out of the boys one's I like matthew the most. I don't like Chris so that would rule out Christopher. .

Jemma1111 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:37:03

I'd get one of the baby name books to help you, you both may see a completely different name you both love.

SloganLogan Tue 28-Jun-11 13:50:28

Isabel Helen would be very nice. No need to look further if you both like it smile

I also like Chloe, Bethany and Louise, but don't like Freya or Bryony.

I like Peter, Christopher and Luke best of your boys' names.

oohlaalaa Tue 28-Jun-11 14:27:52

Isabel Helen is lovely.

I like Peter, Matthew and Christopher from your boys names.

islanzadi Tue 28-Jun-11 14:53:44

Helen as a middle name is a tribute to my sil that probably won't have kids of her own but loves them. Dh said she'd be chuffed and i agree

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Jun-11 14:59:18

If you have one you agree on (Isabel Helen) then use that!

If part of the family is not British, then think carefully about the names. My sister a half French Matthew and lives in Italy and has spent the last 10 years saying "No it's MatTHEW not Mathieu or Mateo". Her second child has a name that is spelt and prounounced the same in English, Italian and French.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 28-Jun-11 17:05:16

Dh wanted Eve and I wanted Poppy for dd1. Neither suited her but dh said after her birth that he felt after what I'd just been through there's no way he had any right to name her. I made sure I chose a name I loved and he liked a lot (so didn't go crazy).

Keep an open mind and decide when you see her. We have decided on our twins' names but are keeping them as a surprise for eveyone so will decide for certain when we see them.

birdofthenorth Tue 28-Jun-11 18:56:38

Like all your names & your DH's boys names too. Your DH's girls names are dated and not good, you need to win that one!!

Freya F might sound a bit silly. Especially if your surname is Fisher... which would sound like Fry A Fish grin

islanzadi Tue 28-Jun-11 20:45:00

haha it's not fisher but it's very similar!! so freya would indeed sound odd!

we've decided on Isabel Helen for a girl but we're getting nowhere with boys yet!!

i could buy a book but i'm not pregnant yet (ttc) and nobody knows that yet.

it might sound odd thinking about names when ttc but not pregnant but i'm very organised and dh is diametrically opposed ! :P

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now