Talk

Advanced search

If you went for a compromise name do you love it now?

(14 Posts)
birdofthenorth Mon 27-Jun-11 14:40:47

If we have a boy DH and I dislike each other's first choices but have compromise names we both like but don't yet love. Will I grow to love it if/when DS is real or regret not pushing for something else?! What's your experience been?

websticks Mon 27-Jun-11 17:13:29

Yes i went for the compromise name, was really unsure at first that i had done the right thing. but now he really is his name and cant imagine him as anything else.

pointydog Mon 27-Jun-11 17:17:03

I went for a compromise. No, don't love it.

Jaspants Mon 27-Jun-11 17:19:57

I went for a compromise, I really don't like it now as it is really common.

So I shortened it, then gradually added a sound on and then used that sound, then changed it a bit and lo and behold, it's the name I wanted to use and it stuck. grin

Think Megan, changed to Meggie Moo, changed to Moo-sie, changed to Maisie, changed to Daisy. * not reall names

MsChanandlerBong Mon 27-Jun-11 19:00:34

Jaspants I love your methods!! Think I might end up adopting that myself smile

OvO Mon 27-Jun-11 19:03:19

I compromised with my DS2's name. DH loved it but I'd already vetoed it but circumstances changed and I needed DS2 to be named straight away and wanted a name that at least one of us really loved. I now love it.

magicmelons Mon 27-Jun-11 19:32:40

Yes with dd, took a long time but it really suits her and despite it being in the top baby name lists we only no one other tiny baby with the same name.

With baby no 2 I picked although dh liked it. I'm not sure what we're going to do with this baby, i have been working on him about the boys name although i've worked on him so hard i might have put myself off it confused

Our children have much "safer" names than i would have given them because of the compromise factor.

birdofthenorth Mon 27-Jun-11 19:38:43

Brilliant, jaspants!

Ovo I think if one of you really loves it that is a bit different than both of you liking it but neither getting their first choice. Maybe I should reconsider the name/s DH loves but I've vetoed!

swash Mon 27-Jun-11 22:08:07

yes with dd2. I love it, but it isn't me in the way that dd1's name is. That seems to matter less and less - she really suits her name and I don't know any others. I am also really glad that DH vetoed a lot of my original list, because I have gone off a lot of them.

thursday Mon 27-Jun-11 22:17:23

DH named DS1 because it was the only boys name i didnt dislike. it was perfect and i love it now.

DDs name was subject of much debate. she has my no.1 choice, but its wrong for her. i had an awful birth and she sort of got named while i was unconscious in a gesture of 'i think you win this one' from DH but it didnt suit her really. took me a good 6-9 months to stop crying about it, and i did strongly consider changing it but couldnt face confusing my son really. her nickname is really common (though i've been modifying it in the style of jaspants) and its now just her name. so, not a compromise as such but certainly not the name i would have picked in the end

LaWeasel Mon 27-Jun-11 22:28:48

I like it, and it is 'her' name.

But I don't love it no. She does have a variety of excellent nicknames which I enjoy making up though (and a great middle name)

LaWeasel Mon 27-Jun-11 22:29:16

She's only 2 though, plenty of time still.

Jaspants Tue 28-Jun-11 13:27:58

TBH no matter how much you love the name, chances are by the time that they are pre-teens they will have adopted the most horrific nickname that they can.

My friend carefully chose Laurence and Serena assuming that their nicknames would become Laurie and Seren - sadly for her they will only answer to Lozza and Sez

Kayzr Tue 28-Jun-11 14:07:51

No still not very keen on it. But it is only DS2's middle name not his first name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now