Talk

Advanced search

Florian/Dorian

(7 Posts)
LoveMyOscar Sun 26-Jun-11 20:02:46

I really love those names. Are there any thoughts on them please? smile

olddeuteronomy Sun 26-Jun-11 20:50:27

I think Florian is quite a common boys name in Germany but maybe sounds a bit effeminate to my British ear - however don't think it is awful and people would probably get used to it. However, I think it may take quite a confident child to carry it off.

Dorian just makes me think of Dorian Gray and Birds of a Feather, neither good. Would also seem a bit try hard.

I presume you mean both for boys?

PrettyCandles Sun 26-Jun-11 20:55:38

I know an adult Dorian and he's as mad as a box of frogs, but great fun and very intelligent. Birds of a Feather has never occurred to me - and I used to love it - so I think you might be safe, there. I wouldn't name a girl Dorian, though!

I seem to recall an uncle Florian in the Chalet School books, but haven't cone across it anywhere else.

I like either name, though perhaps Florian is more open to unfortunate nicknames.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 26-Jun-11 20:56:25

I would think Birds as well although I loved it and loved Dorien so it wouldn't be a problem for me smile

mayanna123 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:02:59

Florian is VERY popular in Germany. I like it. Dorian - don't like the associations.

TangerineQueen Sun 26-Jun-11 23:29:50

There's a Florian in Harry Potter. He gives Harry free ice-creams!

Dory/Dorie is a nice NN as in "What Katy Did"

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 26-Jun-11 23:30:44

Oh dear, sorry but absolutely not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now