Talk

Advanced search

Merida?

(15 Posts)
ThunderWoman Sat 25-Jun-11 23:08:07

Hi,
We've been looking for a name for our DD due end July. DH is a bit of a film buff and he's come across the name Merida which is the name of the princess in the new Pixar film, Brave.

I've never heard of anyone else with this name and it doesn't appear in any baby name finders I've looked at. What do you think? Will there be lots of Meridas named after the film in months to come?

I'm a bit concerned that it sounds like the name of a contraceptive coil confused

BibiBelle Sat 25-Jun-11 23:26:40

sounds like a Vauxhall, sorry

JuliaJeanne Sat 25-Jun-11 23:34:14

It's also a town in Mexico... but it's a pretty name.

ThunderWoman Mon 27-Jun-11 13:09:06

Mmmm didn't think about the Vauxhall connection. Don't really want her growing up thinking that she was conceived in the back of one! Having said that, I quite like the fact that it is (currently!) quite unusual as I haven't seen it crop up on MN before?

itsohsoquiet Mon 27-Jun-11 13:21:38

I'm a football fan so it just reminds me of a player named Fran Merida. Or Vauxhall Meriva.

ragged Mon 27-Jun-11 13:24:56

Dusty dull town in Mexico's malarial zone. How do you want to say it? Knowing the town, I'd assume MARE--ee--duh. Can you put up with people saying Mur-EH-duh and a million other variations?

MogTheForgetfulCat Mon 27-Jun-11 13:34:27

Vauxhall here, too, sorry. Can't imagine there will be swarms of them named after the film, for that reason. Am sure a film buff DH could come up with something better than that - there must be tons of great names that give a nod to a cool film without having any unfortunate connotations.

Belljar71 Mon 27-Jun-11 15:31:47

Nearest I could find in my name book was Meri which is Finnish for 'sea'.How about Merrilee or Merrill?

Ihavewelliesbuttheyrenotgreen Mon 27-Jun-11 17:26:58

I think that people would be constantly confused and she would be forever giving explanations on how to spell/pronounce etc. It sounds/looks like Meredith gone wrong imo

lateatwork Tue 28-Jun-11 07:02:29

i know a Nerida. nn Nes (pronounced nezzzz)

PipFEH Tue 28-Jun-11 20:21:55

I know someone with a Merida - she is named after the town in Mexico where she met her husband. Not sure how happy she is with Disney Pixar right now. She pronouces it like Meredith except with an a on the end instead of the ith iyswim.

aurynne Wed 29-Jun-11 07:14:39

Merida is also a beautiful town in Spain, check it up in Wikipedia smile.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 29-Jun-11 07:31:49

It sounds like an antibiotic to me. I doubt that there will be hordes of Merida's after the film comes out.
I have been a Pixar expert in the past. DD wanted to be called Ariel after the mermaid (not strictly Pixar I know)

A1980 Thu 30-Jun-11 23:12:00

When I saw the name the first thing I thought of was the Mirena coil!

MsChanandlerBong Thu 30-Jun-11 23:16:00

Unfortunately it makes me think of cars too, sorry sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now