Talk

Advanced search

Jacob

(15 Posts)
hightrees Fri 24-Jun-11 13:52:23

Obv an OT name. But are the parents of Jacobs you know particularly religious? Do you even think of this as a Jewish (or Christian) name? Just interested to know your views. Thanks.

BooBooGlass Fri 24-Jun-11 13:53:09

It's not exactly Moses is it? I think of it as just a nice name, neither of the ones I know are religious.

Awomancalledhorse Fri 24-Jun-11 15:51:17

As a Jew I see it as a Jewish name, but all the baby/children called Jacob I know are non-Jewish!

pilates Fri 24-Jun-11 15:55:08

Nice name, don't think of it as Jewish.

websticks Fri 24-Jun-11 15:55:57

My Nephew is called Jacob spelt Jakob his parents are not religious. Never really thought about it being a biblical name although it is i suppose.

ct148 Fri 24-Jun-11 17:17:28

It's in my top 3 names for my baby (due in Aug) and neither me or my hubby are religious. Hope that helps!
I think I just tend to like biblical names for some reason! (The other 2 boys names on my list are Joshua and Jonah).

busymum34 Fri 24-Jun-11 18:02:53

I have a Jacob and we are not particularly religious (DH isn't at all) - just love the name!

hightrees Fri 24-Jun-11 18:49:55

What famous Jacobs are there? According to my research (um, quick look on the internet) they all seem to be painters or footballers. Well, I'm an architect & hate sport, so maybe, if we call our son J, he will be a painter too. Random yep.
I can't work out any particular religious leaning, tho', - as all your messages suggest - thanks for the feedback. Ct - all three are lovely names - good luck for August!
And for those of you with Jacobs, do you use a particular nickname?

SloganLogan Fri 24-Jun-11 21:06:41

I think of it as a name that Christians might choose, as it is obviously a biblical name. However that's probably because I'm a Christian. Many biblical names have become "classics" and used by Christians and non-Christians alike.

mamasmissionimpossible Fri 24-Jun-11 21:16:57

I have a Jacob and we are Christians, as was DH's grandfather who he is named after. I think it's a great name for a boy <biased>

BatmanLovesRobin Sun 26-Jun-11 10:03:40

We have a Jacob, and we are not religious. FIL's first question upon hearing the name was "I didn't know you're religious, Batman". That's the only one that raised an eyebrow, really.

I think modern Jacobs (younger than mine grin) are often Twilight-based rather than Bible-based.

ohnelly Sat 02-Jul-11 20:53:47

Lovely name, religious or not

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Sat 02-Jul-11 20:55:36

Mines is a Jacob, lovely name, and we're not Jewish either! smile

BikeRunSki Sat 02-Jul-11 20:58:07

Old Testament, but not overtly Jewish IYSWIM. Like Adam, Samuel etc

smokeandglitter Sat 02-Jul-11 21:09:14

As a Christian I appreciate the old testament links, and all the Jacobs are know are Christian apart from one. As Batman says, he was named after Twilight hmm And then someone else had a Bella about two weeks later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now