Talk

Advanced search

Right, I need to get this sorted

(129 Posts)
elseIlltellyourfather Thu 23-Jun-11 12:26:38

40+1 with DC2. If a boy he will be Barnaby, so thats ok. We had decided on Susannah for a girl, to be known as Sukie. However, as soon as I told someone this I had doubts (and not because of their reaction). I am not sure that I don't think Susannah is a bit meh, though i love Sukie. DH won't agree (and I think he is right) to Sukie on bc. This is keeping me awake at night! Maybe there is another name Sukie can be nn for?

I also like:
Clementine
Josephine
Emmeline (DH not convinced though)
Adele

Any thoughts or other suggestions please? Thank you!

OneHelluvaBroad Thu 23-Jun-11 12:30:09

Suki is sweet, but I do think she needs a 'proper' name (I know not all MN-ers agree on this point of 'proper name son birth certs')

Susannah is lovely, btw. A classic and not too overused name.

Josephine and Emmeline are also fabulous names. Lots of nickname potential, too.

pilates Thu 23-Jun-11 12:31:49

Barnaby sounds good also like Barney and Barn for nn

Really not keen on Susannah, particularly Sukie.

Emmeline is great, love it, and the other names are ok.

everlong Thu 23-Jun-11 12:35:11

Had a cat called Suki. Susannah is very nice though. Clementine is also good, but cannot stand Clemmie.

Adele is plain IMO and Emmeline reminds me of Vaseline.

What about Elisabeth, Jemima, Cordelia, Harriet, Alice, Martha!

razzlebathbone Thu 23-Jun-11 12:41:11

Schuyler?

elseIlltellyourfather Thu 23-Jun-11 12:42:30

Forgot, also love Lana btw!

Everlong, i like Jemima but it is getting quite popular nowadays I think, which puts me off. Alice always makes me think A-(head)Lice but think that is just me!

SloganLogan Thu 23-Jun-11 12:45:25

Clementine and Josephine are lovely. Josie much nicer than Sukie IMHO.

everlong Thu 23-Jun-11 12:49:27

I don't think Jemima will be the next Olivia, Grace or Lily though.

Why not just call her Sukie?

pipparoo Thu 23-Jun-11 13:04:13

I totally understand why this is keeping you up at night, naming is a difficult business!

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if you love the name Sukie then go with it. If you use Susannah on the birth certicifate then that is what will go on school registers etc. and could cause your child hassle/embarrassment. I was supply teaching in a class once and a little boy was mortified when I called out the name 'Charles' when all he'd ever been known as was Charlie.

There's an Aunt Sukie on Something Special on Cbeebies. Don't know if that bothers you? Going off my 2yo daughter's obsession with all things Mr Tumble she'd probably quite like to be called Sukie at the moment!

I think Clementine and Emmeline are really pretty

Hedwig3 Thu 23-Jun-11 13:06:48

Go with Sukie.

elseIlltellyourfather Thu 23-Jun-11 13:31:35

cripes, this is hard! DH won't have Sukie as actual name on bc so thats out. Will have to be full Susannah or something completely different. Josephine is nice isn't it? Will revisit it, is on shortlist of old, actually from DC1's list of ideas 3 years ago!

BelleEnd Thu 23-Jun-11 13:34:35

Susannah is a lovely name! What about Suzanne?

elseIlltellyourfather Thu 23-Jun-11 13:38:15

Don't like Suzanne at all, or any other version of Sue type names. Think i persueded (sp) myself to like Susannah as I love Sukie!

BelleEnd Thu 23-Jun-11 13:42:43

If you don't love Susannah, I wouldn't go for it. I would really try to persuade your DH to go for Suki on the BC.

mumoftoomany Thu 23-Jun-11 13:45:14

I think Sukie is a standalone enough name. I wouldn't use Susannah because the likely nickname will by Susie or Susan. I'd try to persuade DH to go for Sukie.

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 23-Jun-11 13:46:32

I think sukie could be a MN for any name starting with S

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 23-Jun-11 13:46:46

*nn

superjobeespecs Thu 23-Jun-11 13:53:49

love emmeline we considered this if bump was a girl as i love emmy would prefer emmy on the BC but OH wasnt having it sad gorgeous name i will get it eventually grin maybe next bump seeing as this ones got boy bits smile

susannah always makes me think of that snobby cow on brookside yrs ago i cant stand the name cos of her!!

MelinaM Thu 23-Jun-11 14:40:19

Not a fan of Sukie, far too cutsie, Susannah is nice, but a bit bland for me.

Absolutely love Josephine nn Posy and Clementinesmile

singersgirl Thu 23-Jun-11 14:46:19

I think Sukie is so unpleasant (cutie and pukey and nukey and sucky), so I'm not much help.

I like Josephine (Josie is a good shortening) and Clementine (but quite like Clemmie too). Don't like Emmeline but only because I have an overwhelming association with Emmeline Pankhurst which isn't bad but a bit specific. Prefer Emily/Emma/Emilia.

ragged Thu 23-Jun-11 14:46:39

I like Susannah (nn=Susie) far better than any of your other choices.

Sukie sounds babyish & perilously close to Snooty or, sooty (ie, dirty)....

PippiLongBottom Thu 23-Jun-11 14:48:32

<ahem> There is nothing wrong with Suzanne.

Well, ok there wasn't in 1975, but it would be slightly strange on a 2011 baby.

singersgirl Thu 23-Jun-11 14:51:11

Mmm, in fact I feel unqualified to comment on Susannah as it's a bit close to home, but if anyone tried to call me anyone I know called Susannah Sukie I'd be more than a little put out.

BeeBread Thu 23-Jun-11 14:52:45

Not keen on Sukie but could it be an abbreviation of Savannah Which I'm not keen on either?

BeeBread Thu 23-Jun-11 14:53:28

Love Clementine/Clemmie.

Reminds me of Churchill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now