Talk

Advanced search

Boys names: why are they so bloody hard?

(26 Posts)
Ilovekittyelise Wed 22-Jun-11 20:33:16

Help. we are struggling. we like james, but its a bit obvious. boys names seem to be either done to death (thomas, oliver etc), ridiculously try-hardy (henry, cosmo, etc), or chavvy (tyler, sean etc). are there any good names which are either kind of classic, a bit obscure (yet not TOO out there) and not overly popular? ideas so far:

gabriel (gabe)
noah
simeon
zachary
jonathon

we are not religious by the way, just stumped.

vintageteacups Wed 22-Jun-11 20:59:20

Simeon is nice, Sim for short.

Noah - more popular getting now - I know about 3 or 4 recently named Noah's.

Zachary - love it and Zac good shortening and not too popular

Jonathon - hmm - not keen but I guess it's making a come back.

Gabriel - very nice, especially Gabe.

I also like French-type names - bit different and not over popular here:

* Fabien
* Jules
* Lucien
* Louie
* Patric
* Leon
* Sebastian

tammytoby Wed 22-Jun-11 21:27:58

"boys names seem to be either done to death (thomas, oliver etc), ridiculously try-hardy (henry, cosmo, etc), or chavvy (tyler, sean etc)"

I agree with the first category (done to death) but not the second (try hard) or the last (chavvy). Why do Brits have this urge to 'label' names. To me Henry, Cosmo or Sean are just normal names. So my advice would be: avoid the top 20 or top 100 names and choose a name you love.

Gilberte Wed 22-Jun-11 21:28:47

Just throwing out a few ideas

Edward
Serge
Cassius
Silas,
Felix,
Tristan
Elijah,
Christian
Seamus
Dylan

EskimoPie Wed 22-Jun-11 21:28:47

Julian (or Julien if you want to be French). My all time fave as Jules is a great nn.
Damian / Damien.

tammytoby Wed 22-Jun-11 21:30:31

Conrad
Quentin
Dominic
Gregory

SloganLogan Wed 22-Jun-11 21:44:18

Nathaniel
Aaron
Jonah
Joel
Elliot
Aidan
Gregory
Lewis
Laurence
Nicholas

Ilovekittyelise Thu 23-Jun-11 09:03:48

hi guys

thanks for the suggestions!

you have come up with some of my favourites which im not allowed (dylan, my favourite EVER, felix, edward, aidan) plus one that we both like (joel) that is not allowed due to close friends child (damn all these people that started early and took all the good names!)

I love the french names like lucien and louie, i think husband had already veto-ed louie but its going back on the list, it might be a grower...i hope. i wasnt keen on how leon worked with our surname (think husband liked it) but going to put it on the list and see if it works its magic on me...

whoever said it, you're right about jonathon, its never been a favourite i was more keen because it is currently not so popular.

like gregory a lot, hadnt really thought of it, love jonah, eliot, dominic, silas, great for thought, thankyou. yes i love jonah its gorgeous.

really excited to be having a boy but we had so many girls names and new ones would add to our list, with the boys names one of us suggests one, the other screws up our face and looks at each other with distaste!!!

everlong Thu 23-Jun-11 09:30:48

Gabriel. Noah if not. Not keen on the others.

harassedinherpants Thu 23-Jun-11 09:59:52

I met an Evan this morning. I think it's lovely and am hoping to persuade dh it can on our list. We haven't managed to agree on any so far, but I'm only 14 wks so have a while smile.

I really like Noah but know a couple. Also Lucas, Jacob and Jonah. All lovely! Or how about something traditional but not so popular these days like Michael?

James is a firm favourite as it's ds1's name. He's nearly 22 and he really is how I think a James would be (was discussing this with a friend who's having a boy yesterday actually). He's quite sensible, loyal and loving..... not that I'm biased!! He was Jamie for a while when a toddler, but he's really very much a James.

Ilovekittyelise Thu 23-Jun-11 13:47:27

harassed - james just goes so well with our surname as well. i have been calling him james since i was about 14 weeks (before my certainty he was a he was confirmed!) and i love it. but still kind of want something more exciting.....grrrrrrr......my head hurts!

im the same about noah, love it, but its creeping up in popularity. im not so keen on jacob but husband is, maybe will grow on me though!

its so hard, i think we will have to wait to see his face....

DitaVonCheese Thu 23-Jun-11 23:34:48

John

Fuzzywood Thu 23-Jun-11 23:41:18

Harassed I have a 20 week old Evan so clearly biased but I love it and everyone seems to like it.
ilove do you or your DH have any Welsh/ Scottish/Irish heritage? Some lovely under used Celtic type names about you could look into?

ninedragons Thu 23-Jun-11 23:41:55

I don't think James is over-used. I don't know any at all. Lots of Sams, Rorys, Jacks and Maxes around our way, but no Jameses.

I went through this with DD1. There was one stand-out name from the moment I peed on the stick, but then I sort of got a bit sick of it, went through a gazillion alternatives and then when she was born, DH insisted that the original name was the only one he liked. She's now three and it suits her perfectly.

It's in the same vein as James - classic, but I worried it might be dull and ubiquitous, but I think like James it flies under the radar to a certain extent.

NormanTheForeman Thu 23-Jun-11 23:47:52

Jonathan.

It's ds's name, classic, one or two around, but not over-used. Can be shortened (Jon, Jonny, Jonno, Jonty) but doesn't have to be. Our ds is sometimes Jonny/Jonty/Jonno, (rarely Jon, often Jonathan).

But I think Jonathan is better than Jonathon (more classic spelling).

TheSecondComing Thu 23-Jun-11 23:58:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepywombat Fri 24-Jun-11 05:37:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bagelmonkey Fri 24-Jun-11 06:36:53

Edmund
Robert
Joseph
Isaac
Peter
Michael

swash Fri 24-Jun-11 11:24:02

Definitely Jonathan not Jonathon.

Jonah is lovely. Nathan is nice. I also really like Peter.

How about Edwyn?

poppin Fri 24-Jun-11 12:41:25

Love James, don't think it is over used but OH didn't like it. We called DS Adam if that helps.

flopsy1974 Fri 24-Jun-11 14:30:30

How about patrick - classic name and not many little ones about.

doradoo Mon 27-Jun-11 06:23:38

Well I have a Henry and a George and don't think they're too try-hardy. Was going to be James for no 3 but he turned out to be a wee girlie.

I like something strong and traditional and something that won't date too quickly, plus something that works well as an adult too.

emmyloo2 Mon 27-Jun-11 07:25:52

Boy's names are definitiely hard. I have a heap of girls names but all the boy's names I like are very popular like Oliver, Thomas etc.

We ended up naming our DS George, which I thought was not too popular but still quite traditional. If we have another son the choices would be Henry, Theodore, Edward, Angus, Felix, Fergus.

Someone mentioned Robert on here which I think is a fabulous name, with the nn Bobby and it's not popular. Or what about Nicholas or Owen? They are not that popular at the moment...

and doradoo - Henry is definitely not try hardy at all! It's definitely on my list for DS2 if we ever have one. I love your names!

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 27-Jun-11 09:21:12

Duncan. Can't beat it. You could consider Adrian, but should use Duncan.

mummy2maisie Mon 27-Jun-11 09:38:38

Ryan
Logan
Reece
Aiden
Luke
Lewis
Jacob
Ethan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now