Talk

Advanced search

Baby names Elodie

(11 Posts)
Kirstle Tue 21-Jun-11 21:02:12

Hiya, ttc newbie here, so be gentle with me! (:

Love, love the name Elodie but seem to have a personal dislike for names ending in 'ie'. Bearing in mind that because Elodie is a relatively unpopular (as yet) name in the UK and there wouldn't be any merchandise I could get for her without ordering it specifically; I wondered if it would be appropriate to use Elody? I am aware that this spelling wont be everyone's cup of tea, but I much prefer it.

What do you think? Is it ever right to change a classic spelling?

Thanks in advance (:

faverolles Tue 21-Jun-11 21:08:23

I wouldn't see a problem with spelling it with a y, and it's not really popular enough for people to be overly confused.
I've only ever known it shortened to Ellie - would this bother you?

tiredteddy Tue 21-Jun-11 21:10:00

I absolutely love the name it is on my list of favourites if I ever have a girl, so far 2 ds who are fab! I like both spellings so be bold and do it your way!smile

whyohwine Tue 21-Jun-11 21:13:26

Spelt like that, it looks like you have forgotten the m on melody. Looks v weird to me, but then I know a couple of elodies so am used to the proper spelling. I know what you mean about ie endings but I dislike incorrect spellings much more than I dislike ie endings.

Kirstle Tue 21-Jun-11 22:02:17

Whilst not keen on the nn Ellie, it wouldn't bother me too much. Personally I would nn Lola, Edie or Dee rather than that but understand that kids will give their own nn's.

I love the name so much I might consider biting the bullet and getting over the 'ie' thing. (:

I came to Elodie /Elody after toying with a long list of names which also included Beatrix (a name I still adore, but got such horrified responses from parents that I couldn't bring myself to use it now ): ), Phoebe, Milla and Zoe to name but a few.

Find girls names really difficult for some reason - I chop and change so often, so try to stick with names I have liked for years (Beatrix/Elodie/Zoe) and try not to get involved in ' personal naming fads' like Milla or Lola. I love these names the minute I hear them then a month down the line I think ewwww. Eeek! Actually I dont think ewww at all with Milla - but Lola and Francesca were two I loved madly for about ten mins then fell out of love with just as quickly!

Boy's names - have loved Seth for about 7 years so definitely a contender to the throne and also love Sebastian and Benjamin and have done for years. Again I find it hard to resist naming fads too, most recently Cosmo and Sawyer eeek!

Sorry for such a long post! (: Thanks to all who answered so far

whyohwine Tue 21-Jun-11 22:10:53

Phoebe and milla are fav

whyohwine Tue 21-Jun-11 22:14:03

Elodie spelt correctly is also fab to be fair. My ie phobia only extends to names that "should" be spelt with a y like lucie and hollie and amie.

whyohwine Tue 21-Jun-11 22:14:39

Fav = fab

Hedwig3 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:12:23

I also prefer names to end in a 'y' rather than 'ie', particularly Rosy.

Elody does look wrong to me though I'm afraid.

DELHI Wed 22-Jun-11 13:51:33

Elodey? Ellody? Eloddy? Elloddy? Elloddey? take your pick they all look wrong to me. I'd stick to the conventional spelling or else your DD will constantly have to explain her spelling.

tammytoby Wed 22-Jun-11 14:18:21

If you dislike Elodie then Elody looks a lot better than Elodey, Ellody, Elloddy and Elloddey imo. And the name Melody is well know which is similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now