Talk

Advanced search

Jesse in scotland

(25 Posts)
partridge Tue 21-Jun-11 10:42:43

Sorry, it's me again. Can I get away with Jesse in Scotland? Surely it is only gp generation that would taunt a child with "you big Jessie"?

I am sure that the unborn baby's generation will have much cruder/ more inventive insults?

LetThereBeRock Tue 21-Jun-11 10:52:08

It's a definite no imho. You might as well call them wuss or wimp. It's still used as an insult today.

ImpyCelyn Tue 21-Jun-11 10:53:31

No, terrible bullying potential.

partridge Tue 21-Jun-11 10:57:45

Thanks for opinions. I am amazed (my whole family having been born, brought up and schooled here) as it has never ever been used as an insult apart from by my dad in a v jokey way. I'm not sure I really care that much anyway as surely it would be a total flash in the pan?

LetThereBeRock Tue 21-Jun-11 11:02:00

It's not you who has to care about it, it's your child who has to live with the fact that he's been named the Scottish equivalent of wuss or wimp. If you wouldn't call him wuss then why call him Jesse?

I think it's a lovely name actually,one of my favourites,but it's not one that I'd consider using,while I lived here,Glasgow.

Actually I heard it used the other day,by a man in his early 20s,and it's not the first time I've heard it used,so it certainly hasn't died out.

ImpyCelyn Tue 21-Jun-11 11:29:40

You'll care when your son is bullied relentlessly. Sorry to be harsh, but if it's even a possibility that he'll suffer for it, why do it?

partridge Tue 21-Jun-11 11:39:20

Of course I'd care if he was bullied and I really do appreciate opinions. But I am struggling to see it happening tbh. I have lived here (in Edinburgh - perhaps there are regional differences) all my life and have never heard this insult other than anecdotally. One of my other sons has an unusual name. I was warned (by Glaswegian mil) that he would get bullied for that and no probs.

I just think they are more likely to get called a twat than a big Jessie. But perhaps I'm wrong...

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 11:41:52

I am from Dundee and have heard it used often enough there. It is not a name I would give a child who will be growing up in Scotland.

ImpyCelyn Tue 21-Jun-11 11:44:31

I think that would be the case if he wasn't actually called Jesse . If his name is David there's no obvious link, but if he's actually called Jesse then I think it's asking too much to not expect the people to make the leap to "big Jessie".

tabulahrasa Tue 21-Jun-11 11:49:09

It's not that you big jessie is so common that everyone's getting called it all the time, like they would other things.

It's that it's common enough that most people associate Jesse with it, so he'd be teased just because that's his name. Whether that's a bit of playful banter or something he'll find really upsetting you wouldn't know till it happened - so I wouldn't name a baby that

partridge Tue 21-Jun-11 11:51:56

Ok. Point taken. Anyone know of any jesse's up here and their experiences? Thanks all.

KvetaBarry Tue 21-Jun-11 12:28:08

there was a Jesse a few years below me at school, who changed his name to Jerry. Not a good name for Scotland.

yummybutterbiscuit Tue 21-Jun-11 13:47:09

tbh I know jesse as a girls name and spelt Jessie.

but that could just be where Im from in scotland

Northernrose Tue 21-Jun-11 14:42:59

I really wouldn't to be honest. I still hear it used a fair bit as an insult (brought up in Glasgow, now on East Coast) and think you'd be asking for it. I actually love the name, but would never consider it for a wee boy in Scotland. I think tabulahrasa is absolutely right.

ScarlettCrossbones Tue 21-Jun-11 18:43:30

Ohhh I posted about this name a year or so ago. Same dilemma, and I got such resounding negative opinions (hmmm, similar to now, actually grin) that I just couldn't consider using it any more. I still feel wistful about it, as it's really the only other boy's name I truly love apart from what we called DS1!!

I'm really not amazingly keen on what we eventually called DS2 - I mean it's nice, goes well with the surname and he'll never be bullied for it! - but it doesn't fill me with delight or anything ... I still considered using Jesse as a middle name in case we ever emigrated to somewhere sensible wink but it doesn't really go with the first name, unfortunately. Snif.

hannahsaunt Tue 21-Jun-11 18:48:18

Love it too but was persuaded out of it (also in Scotland).

pointydog Tue 21-Jun-11 18:55:52

I wouldn't. It's not uncommon at all to hear 'ya big jessie'

AberdeenAngusina Tue 21-Jun-11 19:00:05

I'd have said definitely no, but my DD reckons that no-one uses "big Jessie" as an insult at her school. (In fact, she rolled her eyes and said, "Mum, that is sooo not used any more.")

Still, even if his schoolmates didn't react, their parents would be sniggering at the school gate.

scottishmummy Tue 21-Jun-11 19:02:04

NO, not ned either
jesse def no no

figgygal Tue 21-Jun-11 19:06:30

Being from Aberdeen I would say no don't do it maybe keep it for a middle name

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Tue 21-Jun-11 19:11:33

Definite no-no where I am in Glasgow.

Poor wee soul would be bullied like hell.

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Tue 21-Jun-11 19:12:08

grin at Ned

partridge Tue 21-Jun-11 19:31:41

Oh I hate being thwarted. My sons best friend is actually Ned....

It would never have occurred to me to bully anyone for their name. In fact my nickname was stupidly posh/ unflattering (relating to a warty amphibian) and I never got any grief. Even the teachers called me it. Is that just girls?

Any more mothers of teenagers in Scotland who could canvas their kids? Perhaps I'll do some Market research in my sons playground...

AberdeenAngusina Tue 21-Jun-11 19:43:50

Having told me that Jesse would be ok, I asked her about Ned. Apparently that would be very bad. Everyone would laugh. In fact, she hadn't realised "Ned" could be a name, she's only ever heard it as an insult. So that's a "no" to Ned from her and a "no" to Jesse from me.

partridge Tue 21-Jun-11 19:45:16

Oh don't worry. Already have an eddie so won't be calling the poor blighted Jesse ned...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now