Talk

Advanced search

opinions please!

(12 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 20-Jun-11 20:25:26

bored, don't mind honest opinions! Expecting DC2 in November, DS is called Ethan, our surname is Loy (crap to match most names to). If a girl middle name will be Rae, if a boy middle name will be either Arthur or Edward (all for family reasons)...

BOYS
Angus
Arthur
Caleb
Eli
Rafe
Sebastian
Talisker

GIRLS
Esther
Imogen
Kate
River
Xanthe

MelinaM Mon 20-Jun-11 20:35:58

Love Arthur, Rafe and Sebastiansmile ...do like the wonderful Talisker, but would avoid due to a certain Whisky brand!

Love Imogen, Kate and River ...fab name!

BertieBasset Mon 20-Jun-11 20:37:42

With your surname I think Angus, Sebastian or Esther go best

chocoroo Mon 20-Jun-11 20:42:10

Angus - Don't like.
Arthur - I like Artie as a nn.
Caleb - Sounds a bit common to me.
Eli - don't mind, although makes me think of an old man.
Rafe - Love
Sebastian - Top of my boys list, although I've come across quite a few LO's this year and last.
Talisker - Never heard this before. Don't like the way it sounds though.

Esther - Prefer Estelle. Love Seren.
Imogen - I like this, but I've heard of loads this year. Might be that Imogen Thomas has killed that trend though.
Kate - Love. Would you use Catherine? Or Kathryn/ine
River - I think this is a boys name.
Xanthe - makes me think of cheap Greek holidays.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 20-Jun-11 20:53:08

melina you've totally busted me, but we love the name, and apparently it is a bonafide scottish name!!

chocoroo we'd just name her Kate, I don't really like any of the long versions

meditrina Mon 20-Jun-11 21:02:09

I like Arthur and Angus best by far. Sebastian is ok (but the initials would be SAL, could you risk Sally as a nn?). Not keen on Caleb, Rafe or Eli. And I would drink Talisker too.

I think Imogen is lovely, but there are quite a few about. Esther is OK, as is Kate (I see it as a nn). I don't like Xanthe myself, but think it's a perfectly good name. River is completely Doctor Who right now (how old is DS1, BTW?)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 20-Jun-11 21:07:59

DS1 will be just three when DC2 is born. Is there a character on Doctor Who called River? Damnit, this is the problem with not watching much telly

meditrina Mon 20-Jun-11 21:32:19

Yes, here's a wiki page which is somewhat more accessible for the non-watcher than the fan sites.

Her character/story lines are HUGE atm. No predicting how long this will last of course - but right now it is likely to be the association people make.

SullyO Mon 20-Jun-11 21:38:20

What about Archie for a boy, it goes with your surname and is similar to Arthur.

I like Imogen for your girls name

Awomancalledhorse Mon 20-Jun-11 22:55:19

Sebastian Loy sounds 'right'.
Esther Rae Loy & Imogen Rae Loy sound best out of the girls names to me, don't like Xanthe with Rae, just because they both end with E!

emmanumber3 Mon 20-Jun-11 23:17:42

For a boy I think Sebastian sounds best with your surname, from your list.

For a girl I think Esther would go best with Rae - River Rae sounds like one word & Kate Rae just doesn't seem to go.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Mon 20-Jun-11 23:39:12

I have an Angus Edward!

I love Esther and Xanthe from your girls' list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now