Talk

Advanced search

ghanain baby names? anyone?

(9 Posts)
mamaesi Mon 20-Jun-11 13:03:47

have tried googling and seem to have found a few sites...but they keep repeating the same common names over and over again..
Can anyone suggest more I have not heard of? or suggest a way to find more?

so far have: ama, afia, efie, elinam (girls)

kojo, ekow, kofi, kwame (boys)

also would love english opinions on how 'difficult' west african names are in uk

renderedspeechless Mon 20-Jun-11 13:09:46

you may or may not know that the names you listed keep coming up because they are determined by the day of the week the child is/was born.

may want to keep this in mind when choosing ghanaian names. names also largely determined by tribe of origin.

looking at your own name, i would have thought you may possibly already know this? have you had your child yet? as that would be a large factor no?

MelinaM Mon 20-Jun-11 13:59:04

This is quite good, very descriptive too: babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/category-ghanaian-names.html

mamaesi Mon 20-Jun-11 14:22:58

yes I know about day names. I am also aware of tribe names..but finding the correct tribe is even harder! Very few sites list which original tribe the names are from.
My family is not being very helpful at all either... not everyone in my family has a day name so I would rather just find one both husband and I liked...

MelinaM Mon 20-Jun-11 20:17:01

The only Ghanain names that I can find are day of birth or birth order related etc..

I don't know if these are any use to you, they are just general African names:

Girls: Aaida, Aissa, Alika, Isabis, Jamelia, Kabira, Kasinda, Keisha, Latrice, Lehana, Malika, Naima, Safara, Sika, Tabita, Tamala, Tanesha, Tendai, Zahara, Zina

Boys: Amadi, Emeka, Enitan, Faraji, Kato, Kwame, Neo, Otieno, Simba, Tafari, Thulani,

Belljar71 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:12:50

There's a little lad called Akeem in my sons class and also a Dakari in the other class.

lateatwork Tue 21-Jun-11 12:17:00

My nephew is called Kofi. Our family has zero ghanain connection and he lives in a pretty small country town in Australia... it works though. Its really unusual where he lives and he does not get teased or bullied about his name- its easy to spell and pronounce and he thinks its quite cool cause of association with Kofi Annan (has a letter from him too!!). Overall I would say a bit of a success!

BlessedAssurance Tue 21-Jun-11 12:27:03

kwesi

Ekuya

Maame

thats all i can think of for now, will come back laterwith more,

mamaesi Tue 21-Jun-11 16:05:44

I do like kofi...but kofi is a brother in law so not sure

ekuya and maame...those are new to me are they boys or girls?...keep them coming!

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now