Talk

Advanced search

Esme?

(35 Posts)
flisspop Sun 19-Jun-11 18:42:32

I really like Esme just I'm not too sure about Esmerelda but can't stand names that are shortened versions of others (both my parents have them, just "alex" and "jenny" as opposed to "alexander" and "jennifer", and I think they both indoctrinated me a bit). Middle name Rose.

However OH is not impressed with Esme at all, what do you think?

My sister said it makes her think of lesbians and social workers hmm Not sure that that doesn't say more about her than my choice of names

everlong Sun 19-Jun-11 19:28:37

I like it. It's pretty and understated.

ThePathanKhansWoman Sun 19-Jun-11 19:30:07

Beautiful,timeless, elegant.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 19-Jun-11 19:42:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tigercametotea Sun 19-Jun-11 19:44:46

I like it. Considered naming one of my DD's that but changed my mind because it just wouldn't sound right with their father's Dutch surname.

ShowOfHands Sun 19-Jun-11 19:46:42

Have you searched the archives on here? Threads about the name Esme follow a theme. One, what is the correct pronunciation and two, where did it originate from. In the Venn Diagram that is the Discussion About Esme, there's the overlap of would/should you put an accent on the final é. It can get quite heated...

eandemum Sun 19-Jun-11 20:21:59

Good Luck with this thread - As ShowofHands says this is the baby name equivalent of children sitting in trollies yes or no....

FWIW my DD is Esme (pron es-may not es-mee) - as she is only 5 have no idea if your sister's thoughts will come true.

I think the lesson to be learnt here is DO NOT tell anyone your baby name thoughts in the Real World - except OH - as you will get the most stupid comments and you will get put off your favourites - in your pregnant state you are prob more sensitive too?

pilates Sun 19-Jun-11 20:43:22

Love the name Esme.

shoobidoo Sun 19-Jun-11 22:09:17

Esmee is the female versin, Esme the male. Not keen personally, sorry.

shoobidoo Sun 19-Jun-11 22:09:30

sorry, version.

cece Sun 19-Jun-11 22:13:21

I too have an Esme and yes the discussion will firstly turn to how to pronounce it, then whether it should have the accent and finally will finish off with the real origins of it.

But yes it is a lovely name but I think you need to choose one that you OH likes too.

fairieswearboots Sun 19-Jun-11 23:04:11

Wishywashy,confusion re pronunciation and spelling, - think it's a no

how about

Esther
Estella
Maeve

LaydeeC Mon 20-Jun-11 00:03:07

yes from me, I have an Esme (pron Esmee). She always gets comments on what a pretty name it is (obviously unsolicited - so the general consensus has been positive). She is 12 and loves her name.
But agree, do a search, this thread will get heated.
not sure about the lesbian social worker comment though - agree that this says more about your sister than the name (not that there is anything remotely wrong with being a gay social worker called Esme or any other name) but when someone previously suggested that they couldn't see an Esme in a serious profession, well, my gander was up...!

cece Mon 20-Jun-11 16:53:53

In real life we don't have so much of a problem with pronouciation and spellings. Just here in mnland. smile

FeathersMcGraw Mon 20-Jun-11 16:58:39

I have Esme (pronounced Esmee) Rose.

She's only 2 so not sure if she is heading for a career as a social worker, or if she has a preference for girls smile

MelinaM Mon 20-Jun-11 17:58:25

Esmerelda is lovelysmile Do like Esme (Es-may), but I couldn't be doing with constantly having to correct the pro-nounciationgrin

scubamummy Tue 21-Jun-11 10:38:09

I have a 5 month old Esme (Es-may with an accent above the e) Rose and she's rather fond of leisurely licking the face of her Sophie Giraffe...

SloganLogan Wed 22-Jun-11 20:32:45

Don't like it at all, sorry.

Fennel Wed 22-Jun-11 20:34:45

I like lesbians and social workers, so Esme would be a fine name, I think.

SenoritaViva Wed 22-Jun-11 20:41:03

I think of it as Es may rather than Es mee too so i can see where there might be confusion.

I love the name (either way). I was keen, DH less so.

I have a name that everyone gets wrong, but I'm used to it. That's life really.

fannybanjo Wed 22-Jun-11 20:41:32

I have an Esme Louisa - I've only met 2 others since she's been born so when I see threads on here saying it's common I'm always a bit hmm - HOWEVER I do see it becoming more popular over next few years but unless you choose a really "out there" name, most girls names become popular as fashion predicts. Go for it if you can convince DP.

smokinaces Wed 22-Jun-11 20:44:27

My great-great Grandmother was an Esme, born 1882. Wasnt short for anything then, was a name in its own right even back then. Pronounced Es-Mee round here.

CulturallySophisticated Wed 22-Jun-11 22:22:48

Love it!!! xx

cece Thu 23-Jun-11 14:26:28

I agree I know a few small Esmes now. I think I know about 5 or 6 in my local area. All say it Esmee except for one who goes for the Esmay version.

Mine is Esmee - tbh in real life the pronounciation thing isn't a problem. Yes soemtimes people say it the wrong way (for us) but it wasy to correct.

TBH I have more trouble with my sons name and that is one of the most opoular names going! LOL

cece Thu 23-Jun-11 14:27:10

blush at typos. Hope you get the jist...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now