Talk

Advanced search

Somerby

(35 Posts)
mavornia Sun 19-Jun-11 17:50:51

A few weeks ago I was reading a thread about "baby names you love but would never use". I doubt it was intended to inspire but someone mentioned Somerby which immediately delighted me.

I already have Daniel and Roman and don't know yet if number 3 is a boy or girl.

Soooo, how bad is it? Would you think, "Hmmm, interesting, what a lovely name, how unusual." Or just that I was a twat for using it.

Other choiced are Noah and Peter at the minute.

shoobidoo Sun 19-Jun-11 18:06:54

I like Somerby. Quite a lot actually.

Northernlurker Sun 19-Jun-11 18:10:31

Eh? Somerby is a place name. It's the name of at least three small and uninteresting places in the midlands. It's Not Good.

Go for Peter and get your head out of the baby name books.

basingstoke Sun 19-Jun-11 18:13:18

Peter. Bet you're less likely to meet another Peter than another Noah. Somerby I'm just going to kind of ignore...

mavornia Sun 19-Jun-11 18:19:58

so, one for, two against! Somerby isn't out of the running then...

PotatoWaffle Sun 19-Jun-11 18:31:39

Somerby is a grotty place in the midlands and also the name of the grottiest road in Scunthorpe. It just doesn't conjour up nice images I'm afraid. It doesn't even sound nice to my ears.

I'd go for Peter. I like Toby too although I know it's not on your list. Noah is a bit overused now days but if you like it then it shouldn't put you off.

typsical Sun 19-Jun-11 19:03:55

It was me who mentioned Somerby smile
I started a thread about it a while ago on here. It got a good battering grin
I love it smile

Bandwitch Sun 19-Jun-11 20:44:45

It sounds like there should be an S in it. Somersby. I am thinking of that Jodie Foster film based on a Daphne du Maurier novel. It sounds like the brother of Roman but not the brother of Daniel. Roman and Daniel work together but if you throw in Somerby is like you have no cohesive style at all. But some people don't care about that...

mavornia Mon 20-Jun-11 10:12:26

So I have you to blame, typsical, for my ardent hankering for a Somerby! Ah, I love it though doubt I'll use it

Bandwitch, that was my mum's point about "poor Roman" - if I give the third one a "normal" name he'll stick out like a sore thumb apparently...

BelleEnd Mon 20-Jun-11 10:18:51

Somerby nooooooo.

Peter, on the other hand, is a brilliant name. As is Noah but it's very very popular.

mavornia Mon 20-Jun-11 10:29:23

O, I loved that Somersby film - it was a load of tosh really but my mum and I sat crying and enjoyed ourselves

I am warming to Peter too - and I don't know any little ones so it's probably not that popular any more

iskra Mon 20-Jun-11 11:53:40

What about Somerset? grin

birdofthenorth Mon 20-Jun-11 12:15:56

I quite like it. But Somer sounds a bit girly as a possible nickname. Have you considered Willoghby?

PorkChopSter Mon 20-Jun-11 12:24:52

Peter is fine.

Somerby is your hormones talking.

porpoisefull Mon 20-Jun-11 12:27:13

Somerby doesn't sound like the name of a baby, to me it sounds like the name of a farm. Somerby Farm. It would have lots of cows.

Belljar71 Mon 20-Jun-11 13:21:06

Peter? Are you living in Enid Blyton land?

MelinaM Mon 20-Jun-11 13:56:28

Lovely name, it's far better than all of these 'cutsie / of the moment' names like Alfie, Archie, Freddie, Harry etc... etc

Very English old school/ Jane Austen I think, love Willoughby too! ...but not the Holly connectiongrin

LetThereBeRock Mon 20-Jun-11 14:06:58

A definite no.

mavornia Mon 20-Jun-11 14:27:12

Now, who would have thought that Peter could provoke such a snide response. No, I'm not living in Enid Blyton land, thanks very much Belljar71 [hmmm]

Willoughby, eh? I like it - almost wish I was having twins, Somerby and Willoughby. Wonder what dh will make of it, Will as a nn very sweet too. Although dh uses his right of veto rather too extensively in the hope of getting his first choice of Henry

ByTheBeardOfZeus Mon 20-Jun-11 18:08:07

I know a 76 year old man called Somerset. Somerby on the other hand...just no. Peter is a lovely name, stick with it.

vintageteacups Mon 20-Jun-11 18:16:58

Peter is nice and under-used I feel.

I think Somerby rather than Somersby sounds slightly hmm but it's your baby name so choose it if you like it/

I remembered that Melanie Sykes called one of her sons Roman so I googled the other's name and it's Valentino Luca. I love them.

From your DH's point of view - I do love Henry too.
And yes, I like willoughby too.

BluddyMoFo Mon 20-Jun-11 18:17:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FetchezLaVache Mon 20-Jun-11 18:19:02

Hate Somerby- your kid would get called Somerfield. Or Scummerby.

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 20-Jun-11 18:23:15

There was a guy I worked with who was a bit of an arse. He had a really "plain" name and changed his surname to Somerby-Smyth because he was faux posh hmm. So, to me, its just a bit poncey.

I like both Peter and Noah though smile

WineAndPizza Mon 20-Jun-11 19:01:59

I LOVE Willoughby. Reminds me of the naughty chap from Sense and Sensibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now