Talk

Advanced search

Finley - How many do you know? What kind of boys are they? Where are they from?

(36 Posts)
puddle2 Sat 18-Jun-11 08:17:55

As title says really! I like the name - people say it's getting popular but not more than Jack, Oliver, Thomas type names I'd say. So ...

How many do you know?
Where are they from?
What type of boy are they?

Nb. 'type of boy' q is because I'm a teacher and certain names are often attached to certain types of children. Big generalisation I know!

puddle2 Sat 18-Jun-11 08:21:51

How many do you know? 2 six year olds, 2 teens
Where are they from? SW
What type of boy are they? All lovely - sometimes cheeky monkeys but not 'naughty boys'

muminthemiddle Sat 18-Jun-11 08:23:44

I don't know any.
It sounds like a fairly middle class name. I imagine a blond haired boy who isn't really naughty tbh!

NightLark Sat 18-Jun-11 08:32:21

One five year old, Yorkshire, lovely lad.

WearegoingonaKwazihunt Sat 18-Jun-11 08:35:24

Really great to hear that teachers are so open minded and non judgemental.

Self fulfilling prophecy anyone?

3nearly4 Sat 18-Jun-11 08:39:45

I have a Finlay. We are both professionals. I think it's a name you will find in all walks of life; like most names, it doesn't only belong to one class. We have three other boys, Noah, Oscar and Hugo. I know of a few other Finlays - one in London and the other in Bristol.

mopsyflopsy Sat 18-Jun-11 09:55:19

I know loads - three under 2 years alone. Seem like normal boys.

thaigreencurry Sat 18-Jun-11 10:02:00

We have one. Agree with 3nearly4 it is a name used across all classes. Our Finley has now renamed himself "Fin" although he hated being called Fin when he was little. I think I prefer the spelling Finlay but we went for Finley as I know a couple of people who have an annoying habit of pronouncing the name Fin Lay so I thought I would make it simpler for them!

Bunnynamedstanely Sat 18-Jun-11 10:12:08

I'm afraid I know more Finlays than Thomas, Jacks and Olivers put together. What are they like? They're boys.

Curlyems Sat 18-Jun-11 10:23:48

My 11 year old brother is Finlay (who also calls himself Fin) and people have always remarked about what a lovely name it is etc. He is a very polite, cute, North London charmer if that helps...

eurycantha Sat 18-Jun-11 12:49:48

I`m in Sevenoaks area and I know two ,one is five and one is eight both lovely little boys ,their parents are very nice too though very different people.

iMemoo Sat 18-Jun-11 12:51:03

I know 6!!

CharlieBoo Sat 18-Jun-11 12:54:42

To me it's a fashion name, but that's just me. I know 2, both under 2. I think it's a name that will cross most classes but most I know are w/c if that helps. It's funny because I just got back from holiday and I think most names now cover most classes. Some real posh types there whose kids were called what I have seen described on here as Chav names and vice versa.

Jojay Sat 18-Jun-11 12:57:46

I know a couple.

One is about 8, Thai Mum, English dad. Nice, slightly alternative type people.

The other is a Fynn - he lives in Canada with Canadian mum and English Dad, and must be about 8 too. Again, really nice, intelligent, slightly alternative type people.

it's a good name smile

AngryBeaver Sat 18-Jun-11 13:01:21

We have one. He is 3,curly blond mop,big blue eyes..looks cherubic.
Is a monkey!! There is one more in his nursery class.
We let the midwife choose his name as she saved his life at the birth

AngryBeaver Sat 18-Jun-11 13:02:08

blonde blush

EmilyHallow Sat 18-Jun-11 13:02:26

I love it, considered it for DS2 but settled on Logan as Finley is gaining popularity fast. I know several Finley/Finlays, almost all shortened to Fin/Finn. What middle name and last name would it go with?

websticks Sat 18-Jun-11 13:10:28

I know 1 and he is beautiful! Sat on my knee now, he is 5 months. I live in manchester and its not very popular here, i am also a teacher and have only ever taught 1 many years ago.
My Finley is very Smiley and a cheeky monkey we call him Finn most.

puddle2 Sat 18-Jun-11 14:02:40

I was expecting people to say they knew hundreds - everyone always comments on here about how common/popular it it. I was always one of 3 or 4 with my name at school and it never bothered me at all, so don't really mind if there is another one in his class. I've had classes with only 1 child with a so called common name, but 2 or 3 with more unusual names - you really can't judge can you.

WearegoingonaKwazihunt
Honestly! Do you really think I would treat a Kieran, Lewis or Connor (sorry to owners of boys with these names but I've only ever taught pains with these names!) any differently to how I would treat an Oliver or Hugo?! Names do conjure up images............think Adolf, Dora (the explorer), Elton etc. I'm not stupid - my child's behaviour will reflect how I bring him up not be down to the name I give him. I was just wondering what first impressions of this name were.

EmilyHallow - Id rather not reveal my surname, but middle name is likely to be Harry, Jack, Thomas, Alexander, Oscar or Oliver.

BertieBasset Sat 18-Jun-11 14:05:37

I know a Finlay, a Finn, a Finley and a Fynn. All 2 or under, and I don't know that many children.

All "normal" kids from average families

EmilyHallow Sat 18-Jun-11 14:19:23

Oh Finley Alexander or Finley Oliver would be lovely smile

tammytoby Sat 18-Jun-11 14:51:33

I know a lot of Fins/Finns especially if you add up all the Finlays, Finleys, Finnians, Fintons etc. About five years ago I didn't know a single one, so I too feel it is a very 'trendy'/'fashionable' name that may start to date once people tire of it. Personally I'd choose a name that isn't already used by thousands others - to me that is the point of naming someone/something imo.

mumoftoomany Sat 18-Jun-11 16:08:34

I know 3 Fins and assume they are Finlay/Finleys. I also know a Finn, short for Finnian. What type of boy confused - not sure, seem like normal boys to me.

rachel234 Sat 18-Jun-11 16:12:09

It has certainly become more popular over the past 5 years or so, and we know three under the age of 7yrs. You need to add up all the Fin & Finn names to get a true reflection of its popularity imo.

Clary Sat 18-Jun-11 19:48:31

I know a fair number if I include all Finns, Finlays and Finleys together. Maybe 7 or 8 aged between 6 and 12. I definitely know more boys called Oliver and James.

All are from the nice middle-class area where we live - most are nice tho one is one of the less pleasant lads at school. Equally one (DS1's pal) is one of the nicest boys I have ever met - very polite and sensible. He's Finn tho.

<linguistic footnite: angrybeaver "blond" is fine for a boy. It's the only (I think) adjective that agrees in English (in the way that they almost all do in French!)>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now