Talk

Advanced search

OK most MNers agree with DP re:Melody and Harmony .... so how about .....

(39 Posts)
moobrain Fri 17-Jun-11 18:05:53

Can I blame the pregnancy hormones? grin. I've loved Melody for years so was a bit shock when I found that we need a 2nd girls name!!!!

DP told me Harmony was horrid but a little bit of me disagreed. But I do see tht 'Harm' as a nickname isnt very nice.

So how about Melody and Calypso (nn Callie). Is that less twee?

also like Romilly and Liberty from the other suggestions. Do they fit with Melody.

I also am tempted by Felicity and Verity which surprises me as these are names I have never considered.

BluddyMoFo Fri 17-Jun-11 18:06:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

belgo Fri 17-Jun-11 18:08:15

Felicity
Verity
Romilly

are all lovely; the others are far too twee.

PaperView Fri 17-Jun-11 18:08:52

What if Melody can't play an instrument or carry a tune? It's just cruel!

Hullygully Fri 17-Jun-11 18:09:37

Ebony and Ivory?

RitaMorgan Fri 17-Jun-11 18:12:26

I think Liberty and Verity would be lovely!

manicinsomniac Fri 17-Jun-11 18:25:22

My favourites from your selection are Felicity and Calypso.

ItsNotRocketSurgery Fri 17-Jun-11 18:32:26

Felicity and Verity are posh birds with wavy hair who never just waslk, they sashay around.

migola Fri 17-Jun-11 18:38:28

I may be showing my age here but Calypso just makes me think of the drinks that came in a covered plastic cup with a red straw..

I like Romilly though

OiMissus Fri 17-Jun-11 18:42:55

Avoid matching the names.

Or call 'em Fish and Chips.
Chas n Dave...?

sorry, giddy friday mood.
Melody is a lovely name, btw, and I like the others you propose - but not Calypso. sorry.

PurpleStrawberry Fri 17-Jun-11 18:49:47

Melody and Calypso is WORSE than Melody and Harmony!

ItsNotRocketSurgery Fri 17-Jun-11 19:01:35

Whatever you choose, will you always say A and B?

Or will you sometimes say B and A?

Might give B a complex.

PfftTheMagicDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 19:15:50

Calliope
Romilly
Romola

squeak2392 Fri 17-Jun-11 19:53:15

I don't like Calypso. It reminds me of the drink too.

I like Felicity and Verity (obviously). I think Felicity would probably go better. Melody and Verity rhyme.

I don't like Romilly either. It looks and sounds made up to me, or like a word - 'Melody laughed romilly'.

I do like Liberty, but I think it's more of a celeb name only stalkers followers would use.

Felicity, Harmony, Verity, Romilly, Liberty, Calypso, in that order.

If you want Callie, Calliope or Calantha/Calandra. I'm not sure it's a great idea, in case they're both terrible at music, but how about Melody and Aria?

muminthemiddle Fri 17-Jun-11 20:03:48

I like Romilly and Felicity best.
If you go for Melody then I wouldn't use Harmony as they both seem to mean the same thing to me. (I know technically they don't but they remind me of the same thing).

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Fri 17-Jun-11 21:02:28

Felicity and Verity are lovely but not together. Calypso isn't lovely. Liberty is terrible imho. Sorry. Don't like Romilly.

fairieswearboots Fri 17-Jun-11 22:52:19

Melody and Serena

Melody and Penelope

Melody and Lisa

To me, Melody is a name from the '70's - nothing wrong with that, great decade- but as such , imo, goes better with a name with a similar feel.

RubyFakeNails Fri 17-Jun-11 22:59:09

Keep Melody because you love it and use any other other names but NOT Harmony or Calypso, matching names is not only twee but embarrassing when they get older imagine being 15 at school and introducing yourselves as Melody and Harmony/Calypso it's laughable and really is as someone suggested like Hi I'm ebony and this is my sister ivory. Be realistic, before you pick the names imagine meeting twins called that and consider what you would think.

trixymalixy Fri 17-Jun-11 23:03:37

What about elodie rather than melody? I'm not that keen on melody as what if she's totally unmusical?

Felicity, verity and liberty are lovely, but calypso is a bit weird you'd expect her to start talking in a carribean accent!!

nooka Sat 18-Jun-11 04:18:43

So you are having twins then? My preference would be for names that don't match because my experience of twins (not great mind, but we have a few in the family) is that individuality is really important - fine if your dds choose nns for themselves that go together if they like that, but try not to force them to be a matching pair (because so many people will try and do that to them anyway - like the poor twins I went to primary school with who were just called "Twinnie" by all the other kids).

So if you choose Melody then definitely no to any other musical themed names, but I would also not go for another 'ie' sounding end. Besides which I find saying Melody and Romilly/Verity/Liberty a bit of a tongue twister, and you will be saying both names very quickly together quite a lot. Of the three probably Felicity works the best as the rhythm of the name is different.

Callie is apparently also a nn for Caroline btw

EdithWeston Sat 18-Jun-11 06:31:42

I think Calypso is a lovely classical Greek name.

You might like to consider other music-related names from the myths - Euterpe (music and poetry - symbol: a flute), Terpsichore (dance - symbol:lyre) and maybe Erato (poetry - symbol: lyre). I'm not so keen on Calliope if you want a musical theme - although she is also poetry, her symbol if a writing tablet, so words not song (but then again, you might see that as complementary).

seeker Sat 18-Jun-11 06:39:21

Melody and Cecelis?

Don;t match them - what id they don;t get on? Or if they really want to establish themselves as seperate people - sometimes difficult with twins anyway.

Oh, and make sure you choose two names tht sound OK whichever one you say first. Or you'll get "It's not fair - youalways call Melody first, not me. I hate her-she's poo-y, And so are you"

allthefires Sat 18-Jun-11 07:02:03

Melody is lovely

Agree don't match their names

belgo Sat 18-Jun-11 07:23:51

Cecelia is a good one; patron saint of music.

mathanxiety Sat 18-Jun-11 07:34:17

'Daylight come and me wanna go home...'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now