Talk

Advanced search

Girls Names List - Help Please

(26 Posts)
hollyw Wed 15-Jun-11 11:27:59

Can anyone suggest some names for me please? These two seem to have become the 'favourites' so I'm looking for middle name suggestions for them. Our surname is similar to Wilkins.

Holly
India

I'm not 100% about them though so I'd love to have more suggestions, especially for some more unusual names.

Middle Names we're considering
Constance
Sophia
Ophelia

Thanks, H (p.s. my names isn't actually Holly so we wouldn't have two Hollys in the family)

cazzybabs Wed 15-Jun-11 11:30:54

I always think Holly is a bit strange if you are not going to have a winter baby ...

what about Madeline, Juliet, Verity, Violet

everlong Wed 15-Jun-11 11:34:32

I really like your middle name choices as a first name. Sorry not keen on Holly, think it's had its day now, althought I do like India.

What about, Jemima, Harriet, Ottilie, Esme, Martha, Lisette, Delphine, Florence, Mabel, Juliet, Seraphina, Persephone?

hollyw Wed 15-Jun-11 11:35:23

Thanks Cazzy. It's funny Holly was on our list for DS 2 (who turned out to be a boy) and I was almost put off using it as the baby was due on Xmas Day and I wasn't sure if it was just a bit too much.

Madeline isn't for me. I like Verity and Violet a lot but I like shortening names and I'm not sure these shorten well?

x
H

cazzybabs Wed 15-Jun-11 12:01:47

I like constance too .. what about Margaret shortened to Peggy
Rosalie - shortened to Rose

MsChanandlerBong Wed 15-Jun-11 12:04:52

As an alternative first name how about Indigo?

hollyw Wed 15-Jun-11 12:12:54

Thanks Everlong. I like the middle name choices too but I don't particularly like Connie as a shortening, Sophia is a bit to popular and HB isn't overly keen on Ophelia.

Harriet, Florence and Seraphine are floating around on my more extended list. I like Delphine too but HB doesn't like that one. Not so sure on the other ones.

xx

hollyw Wed 15-Jun-11 12:22:14

Not keen on Margaret Cazzy and Rosie is an ex of DH!
x

MsCB we've owned a business in the past that was called 'Indigo ......' so that's not good. Thanks for the suggestion though.

x

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 12:57:39

If you like India then how about China? Know one and she is lovely.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 13:04:30

Alternatively if you like colour names such as Indigo and Violet have a look at this for some inspiration.

Try to avoid Arsnic and Granny Smith though, don't think they'll work well do you? grin

Also, I know a Magenta and an Emerald, how about those?

flowerld Wed 15-Jun-11 14:12:35

Holly classic and pretty India I don't like.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 15-Jun-11 14:16:31

Holly is pretty. Not keen on India. Really like all your middle names

Really love Florence, Seraphine and Harriet on your extended list. DS would have probably been Florence if he's been a girl. DD is Matilda. Also love Beatrice, Stella and Greta

hightrees Wed 15-Jun-11 14:17:56

Ophelia = mad dead girl in Hamlet. Would never use for this reason x

Awomancalledhorse Wed 15-Jun-11 14:28:36

I've got a (white, blonde, no connection to the country) family member India & she feckkin hates it, she had constant mocking through school; kids asking where her corner shop is/was given the lovely nn P*ki/all that racist stuff.
She has refused to answer to someone calling her India since she was about 13, she's 16 & will be changing it when she turns 18.

Florence is my favourite so far.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 14:50:59

That's awful Awoman. What ignorant people your poor DD has had to associate with.

pilates Wed 15-Jun-11 15:31:33

Esme Constance sounds very nice

FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:26:13

Like Holly and Evie smile

topazmcgonagall Fri 17-Jun-11 01:50:02

Holly Sophia
India Constance

also think Laura goes well with your name.

Anteater Fri 17-Jun-11 01:52:49

I like Ishbel (ish the fish)
Matilda (tilly)
Harriet (Hatty)

MollyMurphy Fri 17-Jun-11 02:01:16

I think India is nice - but nicer if you have some sort of connection to the country or to something about the place that inspires you IYKWIM? India Ophelia....that could work.

Anteater Fri 17-Jun-11 02:03:35

India is fine, but a few of them about now?
Regeret naming dd1 after sexy girl in this life!

Domesticbodess Fri 17-Jun-11 10:05:51

Agree with topaz!

SloganLogan Sat 18-Jun-11 17:49:56

Holly Sophia fits well smile

hollyw Sun 10-Jul-11 11:09:16

Thanks everyone for your input. I still haven't decided but I think I'm swaying towards Holly.

Awoman - can't believe the racist stuff. How ridiculous - I mean the people being horrible not you.

I think I might end up having to give her about 6 middle names! This is my last baby and I won't be able to use the names if I don't use them now!

x
Holly

nicolamumof3 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:43:48

I also prefer your middle names. (constance on our shortlist but don't like connie confused

we have middle name decided but can't come up with a first name and dd due any day now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now