Talk

Advanced search

Having a bit of a wobble

(20 Posts)
otchayaniye Tue 14-Jun-11 10:28:51

Had chosen a name for DD2 very early on. But this pregnancy looks to be heading the way of the first, with preeclampsia and growth issues and I may be giving birth sooner rather than later (I'm 30 weeks now, had my first daughter at 36 weeks)

For some reason I think this is partly why I'm having a wobble over my name choice. Instead of relaxing back into the last shuffling trimester I am getting more anxious, and that's extending to how will I feed her if she's prem, what should I call her, where will I put her.... etc etc.

We'd chosen Hedy -- I'd always been a fan of Hedy Lamarr (though not her execrable acting). But my reservations are that people will assume it's Haiiideeeeee, or that they can't pronounce it. The other reservation we have is that essentially it's a nickname, and we don't particularly want Hedwig/Hedda/Jadwiga on the birth certificate. It also doesn't have a family connection.

Like I said, I think it's anxiety that's dented my confidence. I'd just say 'f*ck it' in my usual guise and go for it. I probably will go for it, but I need inspiration of other names to possibly make sure that it IS the right choice? Does that make sense?

Other names considered were Joan (husband says too dour with our surname, I kind of agree), Rita, a family name which I prefer as a middle name, Audrey (I like, but no connection with). My husband likes Kitty but it's a little chichi for my tastes (but I think of Kitty from Anna Karenina)

I don't lean toward names that are too modish or too frilly and very girly.

Our daughter is a Carmen (after her great-grandmother) Lois (after my mother). Because there is a family connection, and we are both partly Spanish, and people can spell and pronounce it, I've never had a moment of wobble over her name.

I don't want to with this one either! Many thanks in advance, allcomers welcome!

otchayaniye Tue 14-Jun-11 10:30:04

I would go for another family name but we're down to Patricias and Beryls....

TheCrimsonPig Tue 14-Jun-11 10:32:10

I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce it, sorry.

How DO you pronounce it?

and sorry to be so crude but any name with 'hed' in it might not go down well (excuse the pun) when shes a teen girl at school. Can see loots of oppoynity for name calling there sad

TheCrimsonPig Tue 14-Jun-11 10:33:30

Call her Katherine / Catherine / Katrina ect .. and use Kitty as a nn x

FoxyRevenger Tue 14-Jun-11 10:58:37

Or is there a sort-of Spanish version of Catherine? Caterina maybe? Then she could be a Cat, Kate, Kitty...anything you want really.

FWIW I have a Kate but rarely actually call her that. She is Bear 90% of the time. So nicknames can be just about whatever you want them to be I suppose!!

sophiesmummie Tue 14-Jun-11 11:14:09

I'd pronounce Hedi as Hed-dy - is that correct?

Heidi is a very different name, pronounced High-dee.

Choose the name you love, people will learn how to pronounce it correctly. Lots of names (e.g. Niamh, Siobhan etc) aren't that intuitive as to how to pronounce them and people still manage.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 14-Jun-11 11:14:21

Gloria is a lovely name, DD just missed being called that.
Personally I think Hedy is hideous, however it is your choice.
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and fingers crossed you hold on to her for a bit longer.

argylesocks Tue 14-Jun-11 11:18:02

I love Audrey and I like the suggestion of a variant on Katherine like Catalina and calling her Kitty. I wouldn't know how to pronounce Hedy either (like head-y)? Personally I don't think it sounds very nice and I like unusual names. But if you love it then go for it and don't worry what other people think

otchayaniye Tue 14-Jun-11 11:25:19

It's Hey-dy.

I knew it's not everyone's cup of tea, but 'hideous'? Blimey

otchayaniye Tue 14-Jun-11 11:28:13

But then you like 'duncan' don't you wink

otchayaniye Tue 14-Jun-11 11:39:41

I like Audrey too, but surprisingly, as I said I never wanted more than three syllables ending in 'a', quite like the Catalina/Kitty combo.

Thanks, this is helpful.

Any other Spanish names helpful. My great, great grandmother was a Soledad, but that's too Spanish.

manicinsomniac Tue 14-Jun-11 11:41:16

I wouldn't have guessed it was 'Hey-de', I'd have thought 'Hed-dy' and assumed it was a nickname for 'Hedda'.

But you and she can always tell people how to say it.

I think that, if you like a name, other people's potential confusion shouldn't deter you. There are so many unusual names out there anyway that today's kids will constantly be explaining spellings and pronounciations.

pilates Tue 14-Jun-11 11:46:32

I think Catalina with nn Kitty would be great.

otchayaniye Tue 14-Jun-11 11:47:58

Just been looking at Spanish names, I found 'Chavela'

I can rest now wink

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 14-Jun-11 11:48:50

I do lurrrvvvee Duncan.
what about Francesca? I have a Spanish friend and that's what she called her DD.
I suppose Mercedes is too Spanish?

pilates Tue 14-Jun-11 11:50:37

How about Sofia, Beatrisa, Alise, Emilia, Claudia?

otchayaniye Tue 14-Jun-11 11:55:12

"I suppose Mercedes is too Spanish?" I like it. But yes, a little de trop

bufforpingtonchick Tue 14-Jun-11 12:00:16

Hedy = awful IMO, sorry!

Had to come on as everyone's gone all nethuns with the 'use it if you like it, don't worry what anyone thinks' grin

Lots of beautiful Spanish names to choose from.

Good luck wit your pregnancy smile

MissHonkover Tue 14-Jun-11 12:39:50

Who's the MNer who's always trying to get people to call their child Ramona? This is her chance! grin

Mumswang Tue 14-Jun-11 12:52:08

My hairdresser is Spanish and called Chavella, but said Chevella, Chev for short, she's beautiful and lovely and after the initial 'Chav???' I never think of that, which goes to show it's the person that influences the view of a name not t'other way around

I quite like Hey-dy, but wouldn't known that is how it is pronounced, but then that is true of lots of names, i've only just found out how to say Eloise, and i still don't know how to say Anais

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now