Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Is it weird to think about baby names when I am not even having a baby?

(8 Posts)
emmyloo2 Tue 14-Jun-11 07:41:03

Hello!

I have a 6.5 month old DS and I spent hours on this forum choosing his name. We ended up going with a name that really wasn't on my radar but it was my grandfather's name. It wasn't my first choice but I love it and it suits him. I do think some people find it old fashioned but anyhoo.

But now I find myself drawn back to these boards in anticipation of the next baby which won't be on the way for a few years. Sometimes I feel a bit of regret about the name I chose and wish I had gone for one of my first choices and I think that is why I am planning the name for the next one.

Does anyone else do this or am I just nuts? Choosing the name was the best part about pregnancy. I was obsessed with it!! blush

Well that was all. I just wanted to know whether there are other crazies like me out there. But I did get some great advice from this forum! smile

olddeuteronomy Tue 14-Jun-11 08:29:04

I completely understand how you feel. My second dc is 5 months and in both pregnancies I found choosing the name an exciting part of the process. I remember after having my first child I was very quickly obsessed with having another baby (there is a 2 year gap) and spent a lot of time looking at name forums as I have always been interested in names anyway. In the end we gave dc 2 the name we had for a boy the first time round anyway! Since having him I have felt exactly the same, missing being pregnant and thinking about what I might call the next one (though dp is adamant we are stopping at two). I love my children's names but sometimes I find myself thinking I should have chosen different ones, but I think this is because there are so many lovely possibilities and I may never get the chance to choose again.

I think part of my obsession is that I am getting very little sleep and am at home with 2 kids all day which is not exactly intellectually stimulating! Maybe I will forget it when I go back to work (though a little part of me is hoping I may get to choose another name in future....)

Psammead Tue 14-Jun-11 08:42:43

Oh I love names. It's one of my very favourite parts of planning for a baby grin

babyincubator Tue 14-Jun-11 08:52:32

You're not alone! I can't help stalk these threads - I have a one-year-old DS and ttc - My imagination quickly gets carried away with name dreaming..

emmyloo2 Tue 14-Jun-11 09:23:06

Oh good! I thought it was just me.

I think the next baby we have, we will go with one of my first choices from last time. The problem is I change my mind because there are so many lovely names. That is why when someone chooses a name I don't like for their baby, I think "Oh man of all the names!! Why, when there are so many gorgous names out there." But each to their own I guess.

I love the old-fashioned grandma and grandad names but then I know others hate them.

And oldeuteronomy - I am back at work full-time and still daydream about the next baby and its name!! My DH thinks I am nuts.

FriggFRIGG Tue 14-Jun-11 10:50:35

i do exactly the same thing for the same reason....thankfully it seems to have paid off as i adore DC2's name,and it suits him perfectly smile

im now planning DC3's name.
and im not even 100% sure we are having a DC3 grin

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 14-Jun-11 11:36:28

Nope, we've had our name choices sussed for years. Hence we will never be one of those couples that are still debating the issue a year after the child is registered which drives me insane when I see it on here grin

However, I am now off to ask a name question on my own thread!

squeak2392 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:36:20

Not weird at all - I won't be having my first child for 5 years (ideally!!), but I'm really into names, and it's taken me over a year to come anywhere near close to being definite, so I'm glad I've started already. And, if I still really like the names I do now when I finally get pregnant, then I know that that's the name for me smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: