Talk

Advanced search

Middle name for Ismene?

(15 Posts)
IssyBoo Mon 13-Jun-11 21:59:48

So, think we have a name for new DD. Ismene (greek origin - my heritage): pretty much pronouned Is-muh-nee. But cannot for the life of us come up with a workable middle name.

Our surname is two syllables. We have agreed not to do any family names and our 2 DSs have middle names that work really well with the first name and surname (works as a full package) and they are historic figures. One has an American president as a middle name (DH is American - think William Jefferson Clinton as an example of the 'type') and the other has an explorer. I like that kind of significance but (sadly) am struggling to come up with a similar 'type' of name for a girl, that also works with Ismene and meets our other exacting standards!

Any thoughts?

Lightshines Mon 13-Jun-11 22:14:08

with 3 syllables in Ismene, and a 2 syllable surname, I suggest a middle name should only have 1 (or poss 2!) syllables - otherwise its a mouthful...

bear in mind as well that (whether you like it or not) she will be called Izzy or Issy grin

Dian
Mae
Belle
Merle

IssyBoo Mon 13-Jun-11 22:20:44

Yeah, I can see Issy coming! Have heard Minny as a NN too. I'm not wild about it but have managed to 'preserve' DS1s long name up to now and avoid the obvious NN. It is possible if you're persistent enough! And I don't have a major issue with the NN if that's what she ends up being at school or wherever anyway.

Think you're right about 1 syllable, max 2. How do you pronounce Dian? (Dee-an? Diane?).

Lightshines Mon 13-Jun-11 22:26:14

not sure about Dian - I was thinking of Fossey, maybe you can spell it 'Dyan' if you definitely want it to be pronounced dIane

It is of Latin origin, and the meaning of Diana is "divine". Mythology: Diana was an ancient Roman divinity who came to be associated with the Greek god Artemis. Noted for her beauty and fleetness, Diana is often depicted as a huntress.

nice meanings - strong and beautiful, a winning combination!

PiaFedora Mon 13-Jun-11 22:44:20

Alex smile

kalo12 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:49:40

i think you need 3 syllabulls, like aurora, yolanda, alana

fairieswearboots Mon 13-Jun-11 23:34:06

Ismene Rosa
( Rosa Luxembourg or Rosa Parks, both inspirational women)

MrsvWoolf Mon 13-Jun-11 23:35:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SloganLogan Mon 13-Jun-11 23:37:37

Cara
Jessica
Laura
Diana
Milena
Estella
Maria

meala Mon 13-Jun-11 23:44:41

Sophie or Ada
For Sophie Germaine or Ada Lovelace the female mathematicians.

DoctorX Tue 14-Jun-11 07:20:34

Ismene is a gorgeous name! I'm seriously considering it too for baby number 2.

crip Tue 14-Jun-11 15:52:07

Athina? No-one messed with her. Marie after Marie Curie?

squeak2392 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:44:39

I was going to say Lois or Liane, but they have no significance.
How about Ismene Diana Elizabeth?

DesertOrchid Wed 15-Jun-11 22:16:33

Ismene Faye/Faith
Ismene Kate
Ismene Alexandra
Ismene Cleo
Ismene Juliet

I think it's a beautiful name - would have considered it but couldn't get 'is my knee -?' out of my head!

BlueChampagne Thu 16-Jun-11 12:44:10

Virginia
Elizabeth
Helena
Josephine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now