Talk

Advanced search

Rhyming names

(9 Posts)
goodgirl76 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:47:48

Hello,

I am pregnant with our first child and my husband and I really like and have agreed upon Daniel James for a boy. However our surname is Tanney and we are really worried about people shortening Daniel to Danny when he's older (we wont be!). What do you think - avoid at all costs or hope people respect our wishes.

Thanks,

poppydaisy Mon 13-Jun-11 22:21:44

Daniel Tanney is already too rhymey imo but Dan/Danny Tanney is, well, almost comical imo. Sorry.

topazmcgonagall Mon 13-Jun-11 22:25:16

It's not going to work. If you're set on these names it'll have to be James Daniel.

shell40 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:25:17

I think you should go with the name you like,even if kids do start 'danny tanny' what more can they do with that? my neighbour had similar problem in that her daughter was called 'mollie' and they wanted to call their son 'oliver',worried about it shortened to 'ollie' would people poke fun at mollie and ollie? well they are both at school now and have had no problems yet...i find children dont tease nearly as much as they did with names when we were young...they have far more interesting lifestyles now....good luck with your decision

sophiesmummie Mon 13-Jun-11 22:27:41

I wouldn't worry so much about the teasing by other kids (I agree, that seems to happen much less today) but about introducing myself as Dan Tanney - I find it doesn't sound that great together, sorry.

SloganLogan Mon 13-Jun-11 23:38:39

It is quite rhymey. James Daniel would flow better.

ChippyMinton Mon 13-Jun-11 23:43:21

i can see him saying dan tannay and people mishearing it as anthony.

goodgirl76 Tue 14-Jun-11 07:52:08

Thanks for all your comments, they've given me loads to think about. Realistically, I think we will have to consider other options which is a pity as this was about the only thing we agreed on.

squeak2392 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:06:30

I think it's fine. Even if they do call him Danny Tanney, I think his friends would see it as cool. Besides, you never know, they might just call him Dan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now