Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Old fashioned but not 'ugly', classic girls names

(14 Posts)
pottypolly Mon 13-Jun-11 09:48:08

Baby due in 2 months and I know it's a girl. What do you think of these and which will 'age' best?

Elizabeth (Betty or Eliza). Really not keen on the nickname Liz though and dh wants the full name.
Olive
Clara
Florence - a family name that I always intended to use as a first/middle name. Heard it's overpopular now though so I'm confused. Should I stick with it?
Ivy
Lucille

bagelmonkey Mon 13-Jun-11 10:13:07

Elizabeth is a classic and very versatile - Beth, Buffy, Betty, Lizzie etc
Olive & Clara a bit more unusual. Seem a bit more mature.
I love Ivy and Lucille.
Florence is nice, but it's also a boys name.

SloganLogan Mon 13-Jun-11 10:26:04

Florence and Ivy are lovely and classic. Clara and Olive I think of as quite fashionable at the moment. Elizabeth is a classic, personally not that keen though. Lucille is OK but prefer Lucy.

How about

Emma
Josephine
Amelia
Louisa
Sophia
Jane
Georgina
Miriam
Sarah
Juliet
Frances
Serena
Victoria
Naomi

MrsTwinks Mon 13-Jun-11 11:06:30

I know an Elsabeth. Theres no Liz in the pronouciation at all so might be an option if you like Elizabeth

Of the list I'd go with Florence, Ivy or Clara.

Olive lends itself to people a- thinking its olivia and driving her nuts or b-thinking its a typo and thats shes an oliver (knew a davida that happened to more than once). Not a fan of Lucille myself

MelinaM Mon 13-Jun-11 11:10:45

Elizabeth, Olive and Clara are lovely, and will indeed the stand the test of time.

Florence is also lovely, but I feel it's become a bit trendy of late, Ivy is okay but a little too mature for mesmile

I don't think Lucille is a 'classic name', and agree that Lucy and Lucia are much nicer.

Ihavewelliesbuttheyrenotgreen Mon 13-Jun-11 11:18:53

I think that Ivy and Florance will age and possibly Clara. They are lovely names though not so keen on Lucille and prefer Lucy. Also find Olive a bit too old fashioned and I think people will confuse it with Olivia. Other classic girls names

Rachel
Charlotte
Constance
Alice
Mary
Catherine
Louise(a)
Emily

Ihavewelliesbuttheyrenotgreen Mon 13-Jun-11 11:20:03

oh and Jane, lovely classic name

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 13-Jun-11 11:25:55

There are children at DD's nursery called Florence and Ivy, but I think the rest are less popular. I think Elizabeth is classic and will age well, as isn't over popular. I love the names Olive and Clara (although I am biased as they are my grandmas!).

Other options - Edith/Edie, Violet, Iris?

thursday Mon 13-Jun-11 11:29:15

Martha
Meredith
Sylvia
Evelyn
Verity
Theadora
Pearl
Constance

emmyloo2 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:13:21

I love all the names on your list. Elizabeth is lovely but obviously more common than the others so if you wanted something a little more unusual I would go with one of the other names. Florence is also becoming more popular.

My favourites would be Olive and Ivy but Clara and Lucille are also lovely.

Honestly, you couldn't go wrong with any of those names.

SexyDragonStarlet Mon 13-Jun-11 14:27:02

I love Elizabeth. (so much I called my daughter it! smile

I like Lucille and Clara off your list too. Or what about

Alexandra
Helena
Rose
Imogen
Viola

mopsyflopsy Mon 13-Jun-11 14:37:38

"Florence is nice, but it's also a boys name"

The boys' version is Florent. Just like Laurence (girl) and Laurent (boy).

I think Elizabeth is the most classic one, Lucille is lovely and underused. I think Florence and Clara are very 'trendy' and will probaly date more as they fall out of fashion after a few years (of overuse).

nagynolonger Mon 13-Jun-11 14:42:23

Alice, Emma, Emily, Laura, Victoria, Katherine, Rebecca........there are loads of lovely girls names.

pilates Mon 13-Jun-11 16:30:38

Eliza Florence sounds great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: