Talk

Advanced search

Somebody was very rude about my baby's name yesterday.

(81 Posts)
lordsugarslovechild Sun 12-Jun-11 10:46:12

He is seven months now. When I told her his name she said "oh. you don't mind him being bullied when he's older then" shock.

His name is Alessandro.

TheMonster Sun 12-Jun-11 10:47:33

I remember an old lady asking what my DS was called when he was a few weeks old. I told her, and she said 'oh!' and walked away.
Don't stress about it.

Bumperlicioso Sun 12-Jun-11 10:47:51

How rude!

lordsugarslovechild Sun 12-Jun-11 10:48:34

Rude!

MollysChamber Sun 12-Jun-11 10:49:48

What a cowbag.

Thing with baby names is not everyone will like your choice. Fact. Doen't matter what name you choose.

Forget it.

BluddyMoFo Sun 12-Jun-11 10:50:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

changeforthebetter Sun 12-Jun-11 10:51:36

Lovely name - very stylish. I love Italian names. I am from Irish peasant stock and any swishy Italian names would have just sounded stupid with either my maiden or married names. I would have loved to have been called Francesca grin The commenter was a pratt. Enjoy your baby and ignore the twit.

Your nickname on the other hand.................... hmmgrin

virginiasmonalogue Sun 12-Jun-11 10:54:53

That's a really lovely name! My mother was forever trying to change my mind what to call DS before he was born as it wasn't 'her' favourite name in the world.. Rude bitch!

slartybartfast Sun 12-Jun-11 10:55:56

what could you say to that comment?

oh, good point, i will change it now, after 7 months ffs shock

some people are very tactless

largeginandtonic Sun 12-Jun-11 10:55:58

Fabulous name.

Just ignore. I get it all the blardy time. Most people just raise eyebrows though and don't go the whole hog. Tbh i am immune now.

sophiesmummie Sun 12-Jun-11 11:00:23

Thankfully we all have different tastes - there will always be someone who doesn't like your choice. Accept it. I wouldn't let it bother me.

said Sun 12-Jun-11 11:03:56

Ooo, it's a gorgeous name! I remember my mum beaming about having a new granddaughter and telling someone the name and the woman just went "Eww!"

manicinsomniac Sun 12-Jun-11 11:48:42

Awww, I love that name. Ignore.

Nobody will bully him for it I wouldn't have thought - there's some really crazy names out there now, anything goes!

ANd if he doesn't like it he can call himself Alex.

MelinaM Sun 12-Jun-11 11:58:34

Lovely namesmile

rachel1970 Sun 12-Jun-11 12:04:30

I can't see what is teaseworthy about Alessandro - there are far more teaseworthy names out there (e.g. Benedict = Bendy Dick, William = Willy, etc). Also our kids are growing up with lots of different nationalities that I doubt they would find anything odd about Alessandro. I like it.

nakedandangry Sun 12-Jun-11 12:35:42

Do you say <Alessandro> in a high-pitched poncetastic voice by any chance?

I hope for his sake you live in a nice Italian middleclass hamlet otherwise the chavs will have him for <prima colazione>.

Ha ha de ha grin.

nakedandangry Sun 12-Jun-11 12:36:33

shit. serves me right my italics dint work.

PatriciatheStripper Sun 12-Jun-11 12:47:54

I don't see why anyone should have to pretend to like a name when they don't, but that comment (in the OP) was not necessary.

LetThereBeRock Sun 12-Jun-11 12:48:29

Alessandro? That's a beautiful name.It truly is.

ivykaty44 Sun 12-Jun-11 12:50:46

I expect he will always meet people like you, but in life there are always pleasant people and nasty people we can't change the world.

would have been my retort

GetOrf Sun 12-Jun-11 12:53:13

Did you sing the name Lady gaga stylee?

ledkr Sun 12-Jun-11 13:01:55

Cheeky twat.My dd is 18wks and is called Delilah smile we love it,she is known as Dilly to her friends. Lots of people have been rude about it and alos kindly point out that "everyone will sing that song to her" I really cant imagine that everytime she gives her name that will happen.I cant believ that teachers and employers and bank staff are all going to burst into song every time she deals with them,ignore them and say his name louder!

franke Sun 12-Jun-11 13:07:10

Lovely name and certainly not likely to cause bullying. Ignore the narrow-minded, rude person.

lordsugarslovechild Sun 12-Jun-11 13:41:33

nakedandangry I feel like I know you. grin.

He is half Italian if that helps.

MadamDeathstare Sun 12-Jun-11 13:47:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now